Links from Lowlife ?
    Checking G for links to one of my sites was disturbing. I not only found too many scraper sites to mention, I also found hundreds of email addresses, whatever at mydomain dot com. None of which would work, because of the way I have email set up for that site, but it still PO’s me.

Anyone else have that problem? What is your take on it?

Also found many people linking to my images, anyone know if those type of links count towards your page rank?
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Checking G for links to one of my sites was disturbing. I not only found too many scraper sites to mention, I also found hundreds of email addresses, whatever at mydomain dot com. None of which would work, because of the way I have email set up for that site, but it still PO’s me.

Anyone else have that problem? What is your take on it?

Also found many people linking to my images, anyone know if those type of links count towards your page rank?
    Everyone (I would think) would have that problem. I do.

How do you set your e-mail?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I tend to agree with what you have said but ... a look at my log statistics shows that about 15% of my visitors have come from some of these scraper sites - I don't know how - I looked for quite a while and couldn't find any direct link to my site buried on those sites but some folks seem to be able to.

Charles

"I looked for quite a while and couldn't find any direct link to my site buried on those sites but some folks seem to be able to."

Maybe you have been "logspammed"

These are programs designed to generate phoney referrals from sites.

A small % of people will have their stats page on a public page indexed in the search engines so....that generates a backlink for the spam site.

Some people are curious about the 'backlink', so they also get a bit of traffic from that too.

I try not to visit suspicious looking backlinks. Think I picked up a virus from one of them once.

What i've been finding is if you look at the search engines cache page you'll find your link's there. The current page's scrape has changed from when the search engine spider came by. Possibly log spam, possibly just a scrape, not decent either way.

I don't think people linking to your images will help PR unless they are actaully linking back as well, instead of just grabing and image from your server.

The email thing is more worrying for me just now. I have 2 domains currently being abused by spammers, both at godaddy for some reason. Not just domains but they both have sites under them. My catch-all is getting all the returned email grr. Both seem to have the same sort of method, each individual email has unique-gibberish@my domain . com.

Trying to Win, how did you find the emails page? I think I need to have a look around.

Almost any site that is successful can fall foul of these scraper sites. The scraper sites basically try to generate pseudo-content from search results.. the links to your site will be buried amongst ads, usually.

Now, Google says that it's not possible for the actions of a third party to penalise you in the SERPs, but I suspect that one of my sites is under such a penalty, because the scraper sites looks like dodge SEO.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

people have hard-linked to your images, or does it look like they used an image search via google?

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Scraper?
    On that same note thanks for defining "logspam" as a newbie (even though it says member now LOL) I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and the vernacular is killing me is there a forum thread with all these defined? if not maybe someone could make one?

From what I've seen, most "traffic" from those types of sites is referrer (log) spam, but some is from legitimate visitors who found the scraper site in the search engines then clicked on your link.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    Scraper?
    A scraper site is a site that generates it's own "content" by "scraping" content from other sites.

So, for example I could generate a scraper page for the "WidgetMaster 2000" by searching for that phrase in a search engine and then simply copy-and-pasting the search results into a web page. A big scraper site will do that automatically for keywords and generate pages that look a little bit like real content. This will typically be accompanied by some paid links or ads to generate revenue.

The hope is that Google and the other SEs will see the page of scraped content and be fooled into thinking that it's REAL content, and give it some high ranking in the search engine results.

Last year scraper sites were a big problem, but Google has adjusted it's algorithm and less of them seem to be about now.

Incidentally, because scraper sites typically only use a "snippet" of content from each page, they can normally claim the "fair use" exception to copyright laws.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Hmm ok so as a newbie I need to make sure I do not do that to get content for my site or you guys will be mad at me and I do not want that what about RSS feeds that doesn't count as scrapeing (scraping?) correct? or correctly attributed wikipedia stuff? or republished blogs?
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

How do you set your e-mail?
    Rhia7 I have it setup not to be a catch all account, only 2 email addresses will work everything else bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    Trying to Win, how did you find the emails page? I think I need to have a look around.
    I searched for my site in G using link;http://www.yoursite

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    people have hard-linked to your images, or does it look like they used an image search via google?
    They are hard links to the images, some on myspace and some other sites.

I have not seen any penalty from G for any of this, they have been good to me lately, and I wonder if thats part of the reason why. So many one way links back to my site. When I did that search on G, it returned 15,000 results found.

The scraper sites did not concern me as much as the email links. Seems to me like someone is posting in guestbooks and using blank@mysite as the email address. The address will not work, but it is disturbing. I was not able to find the address posted on those sites but G did.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Rhia7 I have it setup not to be a catch all account, only 2 email addresses will work everything else bounces.
    How does the webmaster set that up?
    Is there an online tutorial or book that explains the steps?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    How does the webmaster set that up?
    Is there an online tutorial or book that explains the steps?
    For me it is a feature of the web hosting service I use for that site. It is an option given in email setup. Some other services do not have that option. You can always contact your hosting service and ask.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread