Getting Nervous About Promoting CJ Merchants
    It's too bad one bad merchant spoils it for everyone else.

Since I have been with CJ going back to January 2005, there has only been one unpaid merchant who owes me about 1k.

Actually, I think I am pretty lucky and should feel confident that for the most part, merchants will pay, no problem.

However, it keeps f**king with me that I now have found 3 merchants who are going strong and combined will make me 5 figures combined in a month! I have never done this well but I keep getting nervous -- How safe are these merchants? I would probably lose it if one of those merchants in a month couldn't pay up the 3K+ they owe me.

Anyway, this is probably a pipe dream, but I wish CJ would run a credit report (maybe they do), a background check of some sort and also do like linkshare and publish the payment history of a merchant. Getting a merchant to pre-pay would be nice.

I just feel that I have less assurance from CJ than other ad networks about my chances of getting paid.

Azoogleads - Claims rock solid net 15 and seems to back that up

Partner Weekly - After I figured out their pay schedule, they are on-pont -- I get a nice check once a week!

Linkshare - Again, I choose to work with merchants who have a visable payment history and feel pretty confident

Axill - I get daily payouts...I can't complain!

Anyway...Bottom line, I think CJ has too much room for error from my perspective. I am making great money with them, perhaps it is a risk...I dunno...Just rambling...

You should be aware that CJ does extend credit behind your back to merchants and lets them go on for extended periods of time unknown to you. If they can't collect you are shit out of luck.

They also reserve the right to reverse sales for reasons that you cannot check on for as long as they want. They can take sales from a year ago or more from your current earnings. Your money is never your own with CJ.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I've never had a problem, wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It happens every now and then, that's why it's good to be making money from more than a few merchants. There's really not much you can do, no way to predict the future. You have merchants you're making money with. You can keep making money and more than likely get paid or pull the money making merchants because of some nervousness over something that most likely will never transpire.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What makes you think those CJ lead merchants aren't farmed out to all those CPA networks your shilling for...? If CJ can't pay them your still out of luck.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    What makes you think those CJ lead merchants aren't farmed out to all those CPA networks your shilling for...? If CJ can't pay them your still out of luck.
    Well, with Partner Weekly, from what I understand is they are hooked up directly with the merchant...And even if they weren't, I won't lose too bad if someone can't pay. Net 7 is less risky than Net 30 - Net 60 with CJ...

Now, you may be right...Axil is a lead merchant for at least azoogleads and linkshare...Not sure about CJ...But again, since they pay out quickly, my risk is decreased

It's just that long waiting time from transaction to getting paid with CJ, plus, their methods of being easy with certain merchants about paying, plus me being outta the loop on how reliable a merchant is...

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I've never had a problem, wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It happens every now and then, that's why it's good to be making money from more than a few merchants. There's really not much you can do, no way to predict the future. You have merchants you're making money with. You can keep making money and more than likely get paid or pull the money making merchants because of some nervousness over something that most likely will never transpire.
    i'm just asking CJ to make some changes that would make me more confident.

I know I have said this many times in this forum, but, seeing how they let a merchant join their network and NEVER paying, and 6 months, going on 7 months now, CJ still refuses to expire the merchant and getting the run-around with CJ makes me feel uneasy at times.

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    You should be aware that CJ does extend credit behind your back to merchants and lets them go on for extended periods of time unknown to you. If they can't collect you are shit out of luck.

They also reserve the right to reverse sales for reasons that you cannot check on for as long as they want. They can take sales from a year ago or more from your current earnings. Your money is never your own with CJ.
    Yeah...I am a victim of that scenario now. Too bad CJ can't tell me straight what the deal is instead of saying, "Network Quality is looking into the situation..."

Yeah...I have heard about the sales reversal process...Maybe someone should start an insurance company to protect from that...lol...I would buy in!

Quote Originally Posted by melty
    I now have found 3 merchants who are going strong and combined will make me 5 figures combined in a month! I have never done this well but I keep getting nervous -- How safe are these merchants? I would probably lose it if one of those merchants in a month couldn't pay up the 3K+ they owe me.
    There will always be merchants who won't pay, tracking problems, parasites, reversals, and other negatives. This is a business. Those are the costs of doing business. You try to minimize them, but don't let them keep you from running your business.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with Michael.

You have to take a risk assessment and put no more than that into it...

Once I swapped networks out on a deal I had from CJ to another merchant...attracted by the prospect of a double commission. The expectation and outcome was as anticipated at first for the first few months...my payment from the deal was doubled for awhile but I wound up getting skanked for over $80,000.00 due to the outfit I made the switch to forgeting to invoice the merchant and in turn they thought no one was watching and incorporated what I had sent them into their own results and/or someone stole it...so I learned my lesson the hard way. I could not do aggressive legal collection due to it being a niche market and as a result I would of been blacklisted for filing lawsuits (as I was making good off other stuff)......that hurts!

We have to take some chances and it's that simple. Sometimes the best laid plans unfold as desired...sometimes you end up feeding lamers and their families...or buy their crack....or speed boats....

Internet Cowboy
    If you are promoting responsible merchants and are using responsible marketing practices, you have nothing to worry about.

If you are promoting CPA campaigns through sleazy companies and/or using shifty tactics to do it, you will most likely be back here in a month or two ccrying about not getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    If you are promoting responsible merchants and are using responsible marketing practices, you have nothing to worry about.

If you are promoting CPA campaigns through sleazy companies and/or using shifty tactics to do it, you will most likely be back here in a month or two ccrying about not getting paid.
    It's not exactly clear about who is and isn't a responsible merchant in a lot of cases.

I used responsible marketing practices for a well-known company that didn't appear to be shady in CJ and ended up getting stiffed.

I admit, part of it was my fault...If I learned how CJs system worked, I would have cut them off after going a month unpaid.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

"If you are promoting responsible merchants and are using responsible marketing practices, you have nothing to worry about."

Amen...but as they say why do the Gods kill?

Like in the game of poker as in life what my past performance and history with could just be the prelude to a kiss of death and/or a set-up. Nothing is certain and good eggs turn bad as sweet milk turns sour.....DIVERSIFY! Thats my only belief/advice....

Personally I can't think of a single network/merchant that is left I would put all my eggs in....and I'd have trouble considering anyone elses business model at this point who does (not toward you by no means...a generalization).

In short: Just because their history is good is no indication it will stay that way....like Ive said more or less somewhere else on here something to the effect of "Unwanted behavior seems to always form patterns and it has to start somewhere".

In the 7 years I've been doing this stuff Ive lost several good income sources to bs, crack cocaine, tweek, or just the simple effects of being a retard at the turn of the century. I would not count on anyone, thing, or niche at this point.....The best bet is to spread yourself out to as many sources as possible. Sure some will be better than others...but they can fold just as quick and you will never see it coming.

I could write a list of stuff "I used to have." with astonishing returns ect....but the point is they were all "has beens". I am sure I will see more. Some to morn some to spit on as all did not go out dishonorable.

I've had deadbeat merchants on just about every network. CJ is better than most.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've had deadbeat merchants on just about every network. CJ is better than most.
    I guess I'm lucky...Almost 1.5 years and I have only had one dead beat merchant -- on CJ. And I have worked with 300+ merchants.

Anyone really making money has had losses. I remember one toy merchant folded years ago and stiffed me for over 10K, and that is just one. Fortunately most merchants do pay, but you need to be prepared for losses as well. I honestly don't count my income until the check clears. Not even when I have the check. Why? I can't tell you the number of checks I have had that bounced, and merchants never reissued checks, and then I paid a bounced check fee on top. Anyway, it is the cost of doing business, it happens. The best you can do is do your homework, check the company out, and then cross your fingers. The companies that have left me high and dry for the highest amounts have been WELL KNOWN companies that filed Chapter 11. You can make yourself sick over it or just keep working to produce more income from different directions. The more people you have paying you, the less impact you will feel when one of many folds.

Affiliate Network Rep
    THis all sounds a little crazy to me. Surely CJ should be the ones protecting their affiliates. They are the ones that accepted the merchant into the program, took their setup fee and consistent monthly fees. They should either

a.) Require a retainer

b.) Provide assurance that they will pay out if the merchant decides not to pay.

Afterall CJ are taking a large % of every single sale that you make. The whole point of going with an established network like CJ is that you are less likely to be royally buggered in the behind... but from this thread this appears totally untrue.

CJ originally did do that but they changed hands and do not do it any more. You are on your own. They offer you no protection and they do not even tell you when you are at risk because they have extended credit. They get paid a slotting fee for having a merchant in their program which they probably do collect whether they collect commissions as well or not.

The only place that I know of that guarantees that you will get paid for sales is SAS.

There may be others but I don't know which they are.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Network Rep
    That is just plain ridiculous.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread