My First CJ Datafeed Blows Up My Computer
    I don't know what I am doing wrong but I get the dreaded blue screen when I try to unzip the CJ datafeed I just received for the first time. I tried opening it on Excel, but ran out of room. I don't know what I'm doing (obviously)...although I've read and read and read. Is there something I can buy that will do all this for me?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

how close to full is your hard drive? How much ram do you have?

I ran WebMerge on the Betty Mills datafeed (latest=58Kpages) and it is almost impossible to move around in the directory the pages are in, now. Celeron 850(?), lots of free space on drive, 800+ megs RAM.

I'm hinting to my kids that maybe I've reached a limit and it is time for them to pass down something faster.

perhaps the main question is: how large is the datafeed itself?

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I don't know what I am doing wrong but I get the dreaded blue screen when I try to unzip the CJ datafeed I just received for the first time. I tried opening it on Excel, but ran out of room. I don't know what I'm doing (obviously)...although I've read and read and read. Is there something I can buy that will do all this for me?
    Hi leeann,

The CJ collection of feeds comes as one monstrous file, and you mentioned that you 'tried to unzip' that file, did that work? You need something like WinZip or WINrar (which I prefer) to do so.
    Once unzipped you get a collection of separate feeds in .txt format. If the feed is very big, and you try to simply open it with MS Excel it may not work as Excel has difficulties to open .txt files directly. A better way would be to start Excel, hit the 'Data' tab on the top bar, then 'Import external Data', then 'Import Data'. In the dialog box that opens look for your .txt file and click "Open" - you get to the import wizard.
    CJ feeds are tab delimited, so the default settings in the import wizard are ok, just click 'Next', 'Next', 'Finish' and you should have succeeded in importing your feed.
    This was the easy part, now comes the cleaning of your feed from unwanted characters like HTML etc. This is the real pain in the a$$...

As a side note, SAS feeds are pipe delimited (pipe is this: |), so you need to change the default delimiter in the second scree of the wizard.

Hope this helped a bit,

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

"My First CJ Datafeed Blows Up My Computer"

Yeah, I've thought about that one in advance.

Makes me a little timid to stick my big toe into the water
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Frank, they usually don't give you ALL the feeds when you first start out. So the question remains, which feed(s) did you get, did you unzip the file and open the individual feeds in excel? There are a few feeds at CJ that won't fit in excel, but they don't usually bring up the blue screen of death, they only load the first 65,000 (whatever the exact number is) rows and ditch the rest....

If you can't unzip it, then you have issues with space or processing power, I unzip the full feed fine
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I received five feeds at one time. I think like 90,000+ rows so excel couldn't load it all. I'm not sure I can split this. Maybe I need to tell CJ to send it differently? I think I said to send it all in one file.I realllllllllllly appreciate all of your feedback. I was trying to open it with winzip which did okay, but when I tried to import the text file in excel the blue screen showed up. Thanks!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Internet Cowboy
    If you are going to work with datafeeds you will need lots of RAM, 1 gb at least. I would lose W98 (I assume this is the 'blue screen') and get XP. It is much more stable than 98 was.
    I think Excel cuts the feed off around 75000. You can import it in to Access and segment it and export the parts or you can set it up in php and load it in a database. That is the best way.
    PM me if you want to discuss a turnkey solution for your datafeed.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For opening/working with feeds, mySQL rules all...you could probably put millions of records in there without a hiccup. Just install it locally (on your PC) and manipulate the data through that.

And, more RAM is indeed the "wonder drug" for computers. I've run feeds at various amounts of RAM, and in my experience, 1/2 GB will run 'em without driving you mad with waiting time and/or crashes, provided you don't have anything else running. But, different systems may have different results. And if you want to run a few RAM-using things at once, best to go for extra.

I have a full GB, but games seem to appreciate it a lot more than MySQL does.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread