Question Database and Datafeed Question
    Hi, I have a datafeed from a shoe store. One of the columns in my database is for the various categories of shoes. For example:

Kids:Boys Collection:Children Boys Collection:Children Boys Athletic:Athletic - Cross training

Is this all in one record (in this column) because it is a snapshot of data sent to me, so I would know how to categorize the item? In reality is their database comprised of these categories and subcategories in several related tables? (instead of all in this one column)

Thanks. I am finding the best way to handle using this data is to separate this back out into either some self foreign key or separate tables related to one another, so I can create a hierachy or related pages or breadcrumbs.

I would suggest that you can use explode function in php to separate these text and create subcategory for each text. Each text is the subcategory of the parent Category. Then insert individual text in separate columns in the product table.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

Animal Lover
    I would suggest that you can use explode function in php to separate these text and create subcategory for each text. Each text is the subcategory of the parent Category. Then insert individual text in separate columns in the product table
    That's how I'd do it...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Quote Originally Posted by csearch
    I would suggest that you can use explode function in php to separate these text and create subcategory for each text. Each text is the subcategory of the parent Category. Then insert individual text in separate columns in the product table.
    But some of them have different levels of subcategories. So some might have three and other six and some maybe more. How would I ever know how many extra columns to have in my product table?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    But some of them have different levels of subcategories. So some might have three and other six and some maybe more. How would I ever know how many extra columns to have in my product table?
    My categories only go about 5 levels deep. I maintain my own category structure and map the datafeed categories to my own. This takes a little ingenuity, but it's really the only way to go when dealing with multiple datafeeds and multiple category structures.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    My categories only go about 5 levels deep. I maintain my own category structure and map the datafeed categories to my own. This takes a little ingenuity, but it's really the only way to go when dealing with multiple datafeeds and multiple category structures.

- Scott
    Do you have them in a table hierachy or in the same table as the others suggested above? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Do you have them in a table hierachy or in the same table as the others suggested above? Thanks again.
    I have a table that contains each category name and their parent id. Each category has a cat_id and every product belongs to a cat_id. Ensuring that every product has a cat_id can be difficult when you're working with multiple datafeeds. I think the biggest challenge here is combining multiple category structures and maintaining order among a majority of the products.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib

- Scott
    Snib, do you use explode function in php?

I found some information about that in the PHP Programming book I have.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Snib, do you use explode function in php?

I found some information about that in the PHP Programming book I have.
    No, I either use split() or preg_split() because they support regular expressions. explode() is really not all that necessary, but PHP tends to offer multiple functions for the same purpose.

- Scott

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread