date modified question
    I have a question about seo and mebmerge. It may not be a good question, but I am curous anyway. While updating my site using webmerge, I noticed the date modified section of my FTP program gave the same date and time to 10 different pages. While this is what webmerge is supposed to do, I wonder about the SE seeing this date and time, knowing that no "human" could possibly undate 10 different pages in under 1 second, and issuing a penalty in the SERPs to that site.

I looked at another forum and found this thread on the topic:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...=date+modified

It appears that SE can see the "date modified" content. If so, what impact do you think this has on the SERPs given the speed with which mebmerge modifies files? If I owned a search engine, it is one of the first things I would look at to determine "human" vs. "machine" built.

Thanks for any reply.

While updating my site using webmerge, I noticed the date modified section of my FTP program gave the same date and time to 10 different pages.
    If you include the date modified on the WebMerge template, it will affect all the pages created on that day.

If you include the date modified on any central SSI table that you use for all the pages, you will change the date on all the pages, even if you just update one page.

This is I what have on one site on most of the pages, and it will only change the "Last Updated" date on the page that have that code and I am really updating, the other pages won't change the date automatically unless I mess with them.

<p>Page Last Updated: <!--#config timefmt="%b %d %Y" --><!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED" --></p>
    But, there are other ways, I just posted one example.

Thanks Mr. Sall. That code was what I needed. I'm putting your code in my templates. Great response!

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread