I have just received an email from a merchant who is interested to advertise on my site. This is all very well, but I have no idea how to go about doing it. So any ideas from anyone here is greatly appreciated.

Of particular help to me would be:
    1) How do I charge the merchant? Per impression? Per click? Or do I just charge them a flat fee?
    Note: I'm using this AXS script, so I should be able to track the impressions and clickthrus on my own.

2) What about the terms and conditions and all those legal matters? Like do I need to create a TOS (oh no!) on my site? Will a verbal agreement suffice? Is an undertaking based on email correspondence legally binding? Do I need to bill them with an actual invoice?
    Note: I have an account with ClickBank, so I can sort of accept a credit card online.

3) Is there an online advertising agency out there who can act as a middleman and save me all the troubles?

4) What kind of company info do I need to get from the merchant in order to protect myself should the merchant default on payment? And does it really matter at all whether I have that info or not since I'm not even from USA? :confused:

Well, that's quite enough for now, thanks.

Cheers,
    TianTian

[Fixed Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] ]

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: TianTian ]

ABW Ambassador
    Tian
    Please send a mail to sales@thmedia.net We would be more than happy to assist you in putting something together.

Tom Pyles

Or you could charge them a Flat Fee for a month of advertising and have them pay up front. $100/month for a banner that won't hardly ever get clicked on seems fair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    tiantian,

Firstly you got to see for this,
    well the merchant contacted you, okies firstly find out if the merchant has a program with any third party solution providers like cj, directleads etc etc.

From reading ur text i perhaps guess they might not have a third party solutions set up.
    Now since they approached you, you got to do a bit of research on the reliability of them, they could perhaps fool you on heavying huge prices for either imp, clicks, leads or sales.....

However, then they could steal ur traffic and run away....i personally wont go for a affiliate method...

BETTER ADVISED to go for a flat out fee, (all this if they do not have a 3rd party solutions provider)

Cos u got to keep it in mind that they approached you...therefore they could easily be crooks.

But if you find them reliable then depending upon the type of business they do you could ask for a cpc, cpl, cps, cpi, etc etc

Regards
    TGO

Thanks guys for the input.

I think I'm gonna try out TGO and Commission King's suggestion first, but going for $200 per month instead. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, that's because $200 was the kind of monthly commission I used to earn from the merchant when they were still with CJ. They were that good, one of my top-performing merchants actually (used to be, anyway).

Then again, they may have left CJ because they couldn't afford the $250 per month. Very strange merchant.

So only one way to find out, I suppose. :rolleyes:

May have to take up THMedia's offer in the end afterall, well, at least now I know a place I can turn to, so thanks Tom.

Cheers,
    TianTian

ABW Ambassador
    Not a problem...it is already a service we offer to our clients (although not posted on our website)..many of our clients don't want to deal with billing and tracking and talking with the advertiser, so we do it for them. If you have any questions,etc just let me know.

Tom Pyles

Get the money first. It could be a scam. I got taken like that once.

I had the same situation occur last summer. I found that the merchant had a newletter with 53,000 targeted subscribers. The ad swap we did was extremely succesfull for both parties - win,win.

Tian,
    Once Again Mate - pls go for the direct payment approach....cos as it is the first time...u cannot trust them...they might use u up and then fly away....so u ask them for a straight out payment for the first 2-3 months if then u find them TRUST WORTHY
    then go for the affiliate kind of approach

Regards
    TGO

Thanks guys for the show of support.

Rather appropriately, we have a saying here: "No money, no talk". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BTW, do I need to know about all the legal mumbo jumbo when I write them demanding a flat fee upfront?

Should've paid more attention in my law class... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

No matter, I shan't lose too much sleep over it if I fail to convince them to pay.

Cheers,
    TianTian

Okay, a quick review: Some time ago they had a deal through CJ that paid you $200 a month and paid CJ $250 per month. That's $450 a month and you're only going to charge them $200. Yeah, they should go for that and maybe a little more. I'd ask for $300. You can always lower the price later. Besides, your site is better developed now and you have a longer track record, more experience, etc. Work it.

Ray [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] :cool: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread