Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Do Google Site Maps Work?
    In the discussion thread at http://groups.google.com/group/google-sitemaps I am seeing some people actually LOSING pages after submitting a site map.

What is going on with Google?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

They worked for me. Google did a considerably better job of spidering changed pages when I added sitemaps to my site. They didn't cause an increase in traffic, unfortunately, but they never claimed to do that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I use a program that creates a sitemap for each of my sites and creates a new map 1 once a month via cron then pings google with my updated map.

I have seen the sites that have maps get a better crawl than sites without a map.

I recommend them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well Google sure messed up on my sitemap.txt file and I gave them a real chewing out. I've had PR5 and 4 pages for years with 384 pages in their SERPs. Now I'm at 24 pages with site:ecomcity.com showing a bunch of supplimental listings with a URL starting with sales@ecomcity.com%20www.ecomcity.com/page name. No errors in the Google sitemap admin section... WTF. Then I see the scraper sites and their doorway pages, and the typical blackhat SEO affiliates hawking my domain and some with hidden cookie stuffing iframes trying to use my content in the bottom frame.

Never had a Google problem since they launched... now this!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think this may be happening to a lot of people! http://ekstreme.com/webmaster/301-redirection.php
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Now I'm at 24 pages with site:ecomcity.com showing a bunch of supplimental listings
    There is a lot of weeping and gnashing on this at WW in the last two days. The problem appears widespread, but that is little consolation.

Could anybody give me a simple way to consolidate all www and non-www pages into 1 type? Do I use an .htaccess file?

Iíve not submitted one for my existing sites, but I started a new site and submitted a simple .txt sitemap to G, they indexed the site in less than a week and started sending traffic to it. I was surprised, and happy!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Could anybody give me a simple way to consolidate all www and non-www pages into 1 type? Do I use an .htaccess file?
    rewriteEngine on
    rewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^your-domain\.com
    rewriteRule (.*) http://www.your-domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

This goes in your .htaccess. It'll make all non www pages begin with www. I wouldn't go without it.

Question Would this Sitemap Creator be good to use?
    Has anyone tried the Google Sitemap Creator - Pingoat.com?

http://www.pingoat.com/goat/google_sitemap

Would this site (the Google Sitemap Creator) be good for creating a sitemap for Google?

Does anyone have an opinion of this site?

Should Pingoat "upload your sitemap to your ftp server and ping Google" or should the webmaster create a Google sitemap from "scratch?"
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 2nd, 2006 at 11:26 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yo-do\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.yo-do.com/$1 [L,R=301]
    Mine is a tad different. I would have had it up sooner but Norton decided my .htaccess file view in the Control Panel was a worm and blocked me from viewing it. Norton is more trouble as time goes by.

OK, please bear with me on this and forgive my ignorance.

I make up a file in text form and call it .htaccess . Then do I upload it into the same folder as my index file? I tried this once but got a message that there was already a .htaccess file and I was not allowed to overwrite it (probably saved me from totally screwing up things). I also read that I need to upload in ASCII and not binary mode. If there already is a .htaccess file, won't my file overwrite and destroy it?

Here's what I have by the way:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^drywallinfo\.com [nc]
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.drywallinfo.com/$1 [R=301,L]

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I make up a file in text form and call it .htaccess . Then do I upload it into the same folder as my index file? I tried this once but got a message that there was already a .htaccess file and I was not allowed to overwrite it (probably saved me from totally screwing up things). I also read that I need to upload in ASCII and not binary mode. If there already is a .htaccess file, won't my file overwrite and destroy it?
    On my sites I go into the control panel and use the file manager. When I find the existing .htaccess I just add to it and save. You don't want to write over what you have.

Just as a side note:

From what I have been reading and listening to BIG DADDY has caused all kind of new troubles as new data centers come online.

Dup content is a major issue that lots of webamster and seo people have been hollerin; about. The new alogo is trying to find "better" content and sales sites to serve up it's users. Doing so has done some crazy sh!t to people's rankings and listing.
    ....and did you know that MediaBot (the adsense crawler) has been indexing pages -_- that alone caused people's sites to get busted up in G's SE.

And has anybody else notice that MSN's SE pulls some pretty bizzarre results and pages.

Makes you wonder just how people are building things on the web....not all is as it seems.

One last note about the mod-rewrite for Canonical domains: If you haven't added it, I would now. Like right now

Peace

It worked! Thanks for all your help! Here is a summary:

1. Opened the .htaccess file in my Public folder using Control Panel. NOTE:You may have to change your "Preferences" to SHOW SYSTEM FILES in order to see and edit this file. Otherwise request access from tech support.

2. I pasted the code
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^drywallinfo\.com [nc]
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.drywallinfo.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    after the last line of existing code. Don't delete what is already there.

3. I updated this .htaccess file, saving it with the addition.

Now all non-www files redirect to the www URL. Thanks all!
    Last edited by Cheesehead; May 3rd, 2006 at 07:52 AM.

But now I can not publish with Frontpage. I can use my ftp program however. I am beginning to see why a lot of you dislike FP so much! As you go beyond simple html pages, FrontPage becomes less and less usable.

Talking
    Frontpage will generate a site map for you itself.

Whenever I make changes to the site I just click on save on the old site map and FP makes a new site map and I just publish it to my server.

I use FP 2003.

After it is gererated just load to your server.

That's all I do and G and MSN and all of the SE's love it.

They just about live on my sites every day.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Frontpage will generate a site map for you itself.

Whenever I make changes to the site I just click on save on the old site map and FP makes a new site map and I just publish it to my server.

I use FP 2003.

After it is gererated just load to your server.

That's all I do and G and MSN and all of the SE's love it.

They just about live on my sites every day.
    BurgerBoy, do you consolidate all pages (www and non-www) to point to one type with a redirect?

Talking
    No

Actually FP calls it a table of content instead of a site map but I name the page sitemap . html

Do you know how to get FP to make it for you - Are you using FP 2003?

I can tell you how to get FP to gererate it for you.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

But now I can not publish with Frontpage
    My daughter is a big FrontPage user and had that problem after I used ftp to upload to her site. It seems that if you are using the FP extensions and then ftp you have the problem. Her problem was solved by going on the server and turning off FP extensions then turning them back on.

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. No luck. My extensions may have gotten corrupted and need to be reinstalled by the server. I might give the FP site map a try - it simply creates a site map according to how you categorize pages. I did this manually for a couple of sites - it did not help with indexing by googl. Frankly, I think the big G is broken.

"Frankly, I think the big G is broken."

I started using G sitemap on a large site months ago. The site:mysite.com command showed from 54K to 23K (last month) to 9 pages (last week)

Checked today, up to 23K (all supplemental)

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/34147.htm

I track my stats over at http://www.yourcache.com
    it keeps a trend and does about 20 of the google servers.
    I did a google sitemap about a month ago with no luck, but then I created a sitemap.htm (just 1000 html links in 1 page), and linked to it on the bottom of all my pages, and it seems to be bringing in that content.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I track my stats over at http://www.yourcache.com
    it keeps a trend and does about 20 of the google servers.
    I did a google sitemap about a month ago with no luck, but then I created a sitemap.htm (just 1000 html links in 1 page), and linked to it on the bottom of all my pages, and it seems to be bringing in that content.

That might be the key. I have one site where the index page is essentially my site map - it does well.

That might be the key. I have one site where the index page is essentially my site map - it does well.
    I have tested this before and it has proven to work, as of the date of this post.
    We will see in the future, but homepage "sitemap" and footer linked sitemaps are definately working for me

Glad you got things working CheeseHead

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast