ABW Ambassador
    Class Action Suit Against Yahoo
    Suit Levels Spyware, Typosquatting Allegations at Yahoo

"One of the attorneys of record in the case, Ben Edelman, said the plaintiffs aren't ready to divulge the source of their information on the conspiracy allegations, adding that the information would come to light at trial if Yahoo decided not to settle the case."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...hoo_ove_1.html

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow ... that's some heavy stuff. Sure, Yahoo should settle ... if they don't want their nasty little practices splashed all over the media.

It's also sad to see the big Y going down in flames. They were doing just fine ... why jeopardize their business with slimy tactics? Unreal ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Talking
    Google has dipped their toe in this pool too
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042900279.html

yahoo looks like they may be swimming in it tho...

I never really belived that many people clicked on ads on 'misspelled' domains.
    Kind of goes against the (you need good content) theory.

Yes yes.. burn Yahoo burn.

They're definitely the most scummy of the big players in all respects.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Yes yes.. burn Yahoo burn.
    With a little luck they will be famous like Enron someday.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat

From that link:
    Jackson said he has bought 6,600 domains and uses several different ad services to earn revenue on them. "I know quite a few guys making over a million dollars a year from advertising on their domains," he said. "It's like a 24-hour money-printing machine."
    If some guys are making over a million dollars a year from advertising on their domains, why are some of us wasting our time with unique content in our datafeeds pages? Is it so we don't look thin to some SE' only?

-------------

If the is in the details, the must be in the .....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The major networks running SEM campaigns are in Kahoots with all the fraudulent forced click PPCSE cheats and the BHO search bar wanks. Hope this goes to trial and some AM's and network cookie washers get OUTED.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Collaborating with spyware and adware is just too much, but Yahoo has been silent on this matter. They will do well to come out with details to clear up the air, lest their reputation takes a hit irreparably.

I think G is also not innocent where click fraud is concerned but of course, they have stepped up on their efforts of late. Hopefuully, Yahoo can get over this crisis and revamp their program. But whatever it is, both G and YPN efforts should not be too punishing on publishers at the end of the day.

Internet Cowboy
    Ben Edelman is a registered user of eBates yet sues Yahoo for using spyware.

Something is wrong with that statement.

All I can say is "Wow" and it's about time. Google is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Ben Edelman is a registered user of eBates yet sues Yahoo for using spyware.

Something is wrong with that statement.
    Is it possible that Ben Edelman registered to use eBates in order to analyze it and expose it?

Gloria Steinem accepted a job as a Playboy Bunny in order to get an inside view and to do research for an article that would become well known.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    For the record, Ben did finish law school at Harvard and passed the Bar Exam in December.
    Last edited by Adam Ward; June 12th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

Anybody got a Yahoo account? Try setting a campaign for "Standard Match" (supposedly Yahoo display only; no 'partners') with "Content Match" turned off. See how much crap traffic you get anyway from dead domain parking pages (their network of quality search partners). F3cking weasels.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Talk about F3uking weazels .... Banner Farms in the Crosshairs.. a case study in Adwhore operations and clueless advertisers.... http://www.benedelman.org/news/061206-1.html

I'm sure Ben has some good advice for those willing to throw money away on PPCSE and CPM junk traffic...

"For the last 8 months, I've been following ads from Global-Store, Inqwire, Venus123, and various others -- all sites operated by Hula Direct. They're engaged in a troubling scheme: They buy popups and popunders from various notorious spyware vendors. They show numerous banner ads in "banner farms" without substantial bona fide content. They show advertisers' ads (and charge advertisers for those ad displays) without the advertisers' specific permission. They automatically reload ads to rack up extra fees."

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by simcat

I was just reading an article about how the ENTIRE country of Cameroon is making a fortune by camping the ".co" version of every site on the internet. They get huuuuge numbers of referrals due to people leaving out that final 'm.'

http://www.benedelman.org/news/040406-1.html ..... great read

Benjamin Edelman said.... "In the examples I show above and previously, Yahoo's problem results from bad partners within its network. Yahoo syndicates ads to numerous partners, many of whom syndicate ads to others, some of whom then syndicate ads still further. The net effect is that Yahoo does not know who it's dealing with, and therefore cannot exercise meaningful supervision over how its ads are displayed. I consider this a bad idea -- bad business, bad for quality, bad for accountability. But Yahoo need not listen to me. Instead, consider instructions from New York Attorney General staff member Ken Dreifach: "Advertisers and marketers must be wary of fraud or deceptive practices committed by their affiliates, even [affiliates] that they have no working relationships with." (Quote from MediaPost, summarizing Dreifach's remarks.)...... "

Great read on the Yahoo ROI woes. http://www.benedelman.org/news/040406-1.html

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread