Affiliate Network Rep
    How important is the domain name?
    Hi guys,

I am discussing with one of my friends how important the domain name is for search engines, exactly how important it is to have keywords in the domain name. i.e.
    skin-product-reviews.com, if someone is searching for skin care products...

I think it's quite important, but he says that it doesn't matter at all.

What do you think?

Max

It does matter some- but less so for google than other SE's I believe.

Don't discount the value of anchor text. Think about how people will link to you, with keywords or with some nonsense name.

I expect the value of keywords in domain will continue to decrease slowly over time though.
    Last edited by simcat; May 5th, 2006 at 06:54 AM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    As you grow, it'll become obvious that it's much more important from a human standpoint (branding, type-ins, viral, say url over the phone, readability in a ppc ad disp url, mention in news/mag/pr, separate from competitors, biz card appeal, etc) than an index one.

Use your example to see for yourself:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=skin+care+products
    there are many organic listings there without the keywords in their domain name.
    and the ones that do have "skin" etc in their domain, aren't listed there for that factor.

Brandability > Typability.

But they do need to be typable, too
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think one of the main reasons some search engines (i.e., Google) are moving away from giving domain names much thought is b/c of the huge number of long domain names that are related to spam. It's probably hard to visit "this-is-a-cool-site-to-download-music.com" without being bombarded with junk, and I think Google recognizes this.

I agree with Donuts. If you're building a site where you plan on building the brand and getting offline (type-in) referrals, a short, easy to spell and type domain is very important.

The domain name should also clearly describe what you sell. RussianLegacy.com, for instance, is good because you would expect Russian stuff there (although with "legacy" you might not relate it with products). Magazines.com is excellent. Something like BlueDolphin.com is not so good. Sure, it's easier to brand something so distinct, but if people aren't familiar with it, they would have no idea that they sold magazines.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    RussianLegacy.com, for instance, is good because you would expect Russian stuff there (although with "legacy" you might not relate it with products).
    Thank you for the compliment, Michael. The "legacy" part was there since the beginning as the site was initially built to promote Russian culture, history, art, music... Russian heritage that is. Hence, the "Legacy" part. With time it grew into a online store (or should I say, a mall), pushing the "Legacy" part to the bottom of the left-hand side menu...

However, in every product description we try to be true to the legacy, pushing it, telling people why this or that thing is such as it is, what the history behind it is, etc, etc...

Geno

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thanks for the great replies, I agree with you that branding is the most important thing.

And thanks for the example, that really shows that it's not that important for rankings.

What I think is that if you create feeder websites to pre-sell your products then it should inlcude some of the keywords just for the customers, because they might be more interested in that website, but that is totally independent from the ranking.

Thanks a lot, maybe some others have some more thoughts!
    Max

CPA Network Rep
    As most indicated, having the keyword in the domain can help with the SE's. I personally tend to choose domains with the keyword in it.

However, in regards to branding, it's a whole other ballgame. Years ago I worked for the parent company that owns Monster.com; TMP Worldwide. TMP owned two online job boards; Monster Board and OCC ( Online Career Center). Later those 2 boards merged together to form what is now Monster.com. During the 1999 Super Bowl, Monster.com became a reality for the world; as one of the most memorable ad campaigns was launched for the world too see. Now some 9 years later, Monster.com is the top online career board. Who would have thought a site called Monster.com would be a Job board, and at the top of its game?

So if you do your marketing, advertising and SEO right (and having a good size budget does not hurt), any domain can be branded.

-=Chipmunk=-
    [B]Matthew "Chipmunk" Sclier[/B]
    Affiliate Relations Manager
    [B]E-Mail:[/B] [email=matthew@leadflash.com]matthew@leadflash.com[/email]
    [B]Phone:[/B] (561) 499-3329 ext.126
    [B]AIM/Y!:[/B] ChipmunkLF l [B]ICQ: [/B] 48437188
    [URL=http://www.leadflash.com/855122D5-967E-4CAD-AE2B-F56DD265219C/refer.aspx]LeadFlash.com[/URL]: 100% Exclusive Cash Advance Offers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell_UK
    Hi guys,
    I am discussing with one of my friends how important the domain name is for search engines, exactly how important it is to have keywords in the domain name. i.e.
    skin-product-reviews.com, if someone is searching for skin care products...
    You could put skincare in your subdomain if you're thinking of a more general domain.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread