Exact Items Sold with CJ?
    Wow, I just made a nice sale for a company and I would like to know the exact products I sold for this company. Although the company appears in my list, I forget actually getting a banner and/or product link from this company. I wish CJ could be more exact in reporting.

How do others keep track of items sold through CJ links?

Funny thing is that when I look at the merchant's name, I associate the name with a site I have in the works, not one of my already established sites (which are also going through a transformation).

It would be nice to know the items sold.

When I was creating a link for a different category I used the SID in the advanced panel, but will the code I wrote in the SID show/report after a sale?
    What does the SID do for the affiliate?
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 5th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

to see the sid you need to run a transaction report, not just a performance report.

Also, some merchants report "Advanced Sales", which includes the specific products sold.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Rhia,

yes, big shortcoming of CJ is that for most merchants you cannot get product-specific reporting. In many cases, CJ doesn't even have this information given by the merchants -- just sale price.

The SID parameter allows you to pass any information through with the click and have it reported through to a sale. CJ's commission detail reports and report downloads contain this SID parameter.

What many affs do is put a keyword they know was searched by the user in the SID so they can get some reporting on keywords they're buying. If you don't trust CJ with your data, you shouldn't send them data that tells them what keywords you're converting with.

Other affs do all sorts of tracking on their end (to keep track of whatever they want from the user, as in where they came from, what link they clicked on to get to the merchant, what page they were on, who they are, etc.). They pass an identifer in the SID parameter that represents all that activity and match it up with conversion data later. That's some heavier lifting to do all that.

You could pass the product name or ID in the SID parameter, but that would only tell you what product the user clicked on, not necessarily what they actually purchased at the end of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    to see the sid you need to run a transaction report, not just a performance report.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Do affiliate's make SID codes (codes that would not mean anything to anybody but the affiliate) or is it okay to just type in "purpwidget"?

Thanks.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Also, some merchants report "Advanced Sales", which includes the specific products sold.
    Thanks. I didn't know that.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wow, sjangro,
    Your post is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    CJ is that for most merchants you cannot get product-specific reporting ... just sale price.
    The SID parameter allows you to pass any information through with the click and have it reported through to a sale. CJ's commission detail reports and report downloads contain this SID parameter.
    Interesting, but should info in the SID be limited to a # of characters so the click link won't be too long?

What many affs do is put a keyword they know was searched by the user in the SID so they can get some reporting on keywords they're buying.
    A keyword that reflects the general page the user landed on?

If you don't trust CJ with your data, you shouldn't send them data that tells them what keywords you're converting with.
    By converting do you mean keywords that indicate my site popularity or do you mean keywords used in Adsense/Adwords/any other keyword for $ ?

Other affs do all sorts of tracking on their end (to keep track of whatever they want from the user, as in where they came from, what link they clicked on to get to the merchant, what page they were on, who they are, etc.). They pass an identifer in the SID parameter that represents all that activity and match it up with conversion data later. That's some heavier lifting to do all that.
    Well Roman numerals could represent the general site and then a mix of numbers and letters (that mean something to me but not anyone else) could be typed in the SID? (I like Charlie the bird)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Sometimes, they don't necessarily buy what you clicked them through to - keep that fuzziness in mind as you use SIDs. What you know is what they searched for, where you landed them and what they likely bought - SID isn't quite the same thing as product purchased tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Interesting, but should info in the SID be limited to a # of characters so the click link won't be too long?
    URLs can be pretty long. You'll run out of your own practical limit before you'll break a url (about 1000 characters for most browsers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    A keyword that reflects the general page the user landed on?
    I meant the keyword that the user searched on in the search engine. There are different ways to figure this out. But you could just make your own keyword or ID for your landing pages.

It really depends on what exactly you need to know about your traffic.

By converting do you mean keywords that indicate my site popularity or do you mean keywords used in Adsense/Adwords/any other keyword for $ ?
    I was talking PPC, but it could be natural search keywords too if you wanted to try and track that.

Well Roman numerals could represent the general site and then a mix of numbers and letters (that mean something to me but not anyone else) could be typed in the SID?
    Yeah, something like that, sure. A lot of work to do by hand, but perhaps worth it to you depending on how much you need to know about your traffic and conversion.

I forget what the SID (and similar) length limitations are on the various networks. I think most are between 20 and 64. If it's longer than their limit, everyone just truncates it. I put a variety of information in mine, with the most important information first.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I put a variety of information in mine, with the most important information first.
    Which do you think is more important, or does importance rotate?
    Is it a word for the landing page or the product?

Thanks.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you don't trust CJ with your data, you shouldn't send them data that tells them what keywords you're converting with.
    I feel so naive right now, I've been using the product name in my SIDs since day1, it never occured to me that someone else could use the info. Thanks for the heads-up.

Isn't it a shame how we have to be suspicous all the time? What an energy and mood zapper.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread