Removing alle' jewelry links from my blog
    Back in November I received notification that "that alle' Fine Jewelry has removed you from their Affiliate Program."

I had not done anything wrong so I e-mailed the affiliate manager and he replied:

Dear Rhia7,

Upon my most recent visit to your website
    I have more than one (he didn't look through my blogs either)

there was no
    reference to alle' Fine jewelry on your site.

We are in the process of removing affiliates who have shown an interest in
    our company, however have chosen not to post us on their website.
    That was false, I had many of their product links in one of my blogs (at that time), the manager didn't look through my copious blogs; in fact, images from my blog were driving me nuts because people are coming to my site via Google image searches.

Often when I place image links in my blogs I let them stay, but alle' jewelry was enjoying a renaissance in popularity due to the product links I had placed in my blog and no way will I give them free advertising.

I just removed 10 of alle's product picture links and I plan to find other jewelry merchants with nice pictures to promote.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    We are in the process of removing affiliates who have shown an interest in our company, however have chosen not to post us on their website.
    A company has no way of telling that links have been put up unless there are clickthroughs.

There's no way an AM can go through all the pages on all the sites of affiliates that sign up to see if there's a link. If there have been no clickthroughs, then from their POV there isn't any activity generated for them, so it would appear that there are no links to them, and if that's the case there might as well not be any.

At the time I received the notice I was wrapped into something else so I didn't search through my blogs to find actual placement, but the Linkshare statistics indicated click throughs (but no sales at that point).

Lately, my tracker has indicated lots of hits to my site via Google Images based on pictures from alle' jewelry. Google's results gave me easy access to the exact sections where I found 10 product links. Blogger has recently upgraded its editing capabilities so I was able to remove the posts tonight.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Tax Paying Member
    alle' Fine Jewelry

I had a similar experience. Joined their program because it looked good on the surface. Their AM immediately starting hounding me for sales. Sales are not kept in a box to be pulled out and dusted off when needed........

I don't remember the exact amount of time, but it seems like a few weeks passed and they dismissed me form the fold..........I became an orphaned child.

They did have some nice looking products and some good looking banners...............They also had excess arrogance.

Push with a little finess.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    So they removed you in November and you're just now removing their links half a year later?

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    alle' Fine Jewelry

I had a similar experience. Joined their program because it looked good on the surface. Their AM immediately starting hounding me for sales.

They did have some nice looking products and some good looking banners...............They also had excess arrogance.

Push with a little finess.
    Thanks, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I must say that they provided beautiful pictures of their products. Their name comes up again when searching LS for jewelry merchants but I wouldn't want to sign up with them the second time around; the manager's attitude after I wrote him a polite and earnest e-mail bummed me out the first time around
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Answer Trust's Question... that is a better one... LOL....

Earlier I didn't have the automatic Blogger edit function, or if I did, I didn't care because too many other things were going on (wasn't a top priority). Those links were buried in one of my blogs ...

Removal became a priority only when I saw a consistent pattern in my tracker links in terms of searches being done in Google Images. Once I became aware that I am giving free publicity (on a considerable scale) to alle jewelry, I had reason to remove.
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 7th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

In my experience, Google image searches don't convert and are a waste of bandwidth. People are looking for photos to use, not products to buy.

ABW Ambassador
    Unless it's auto-approval, I seriously doubt that a merchant would approve a blog site for participation in their program as the primary participating site for a publisher. They're not the best conversion venue around, since posts have a short life and archives won't generally pull traffic or get serious consumer traffic.

Unless it's a VERY high profile blog, and those usually can and often do sell advert space direct.

Those links were buried in one of my blogs ...
    Exactly the point, and it isn't "attitude" on the merchant's part, it's reality.

Sorry Rhia, but links to a merchant buried someplace in blogs that even the owner has a problem finding don't constitute promoting a merchant.
    Last edited by webworker; May 8th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.

There are lots of plug-ins and other ways to modify basic blog software into a pretty good SE friendly CMS.
    But personally, I stay away from free hosting & host my own blogs and blog modified sites.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    There are lots of plug-ins and other ways to modify basic blog software into a pretty good SE friendly CMS.
    But personally, I stay away from free hosting & host my own blogs and blog modified sites.
    The blog in question was/still is hosted by me.

I actually do sell items via my blogs

@Webworker: Can you offer any positive, constructive comments? Any advice for me to follow so that this type of thing doesn't happen in the future?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    @Webworker: Can you offer any positive, constructive comments? Any advice for me to follow so that this type of thing doesn't happen in the future?
    Rhia, honestly I'm experiencing a bit of a slump right now and feel like I need some advice myself. But I can make a positive suggestion to avoid this type of thing in the future.

First off - and very important, considering the impersonal slap you got from alle: hook up with a jewelry merchant that's got an AM who's a human being you can actually communicate with and get support from. And like and trust - those never hurt.

Mondera is good for bridal and diamonds with good management (AMWSO), and for a broad variety of jewelry across a tremendous number of categories, and an AM who's - no kidding - absolutely lovable, check this one out:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=72854

Jewel Basket, second one on the page:

http://www.andyrodriguez.com/clients.html

Second, if you like to promote on the blog that's fine but it's probably wise to do so on a static site as well, which you can link to from the blog. That way the AM *can* find your links, and not only that, but possibly give helpful suggestions if you need some.

Thanks for the tips, Webworker

There was a time when my blogs outperformed my static pages in terms of which pages were the entry pages to my site(s). On the flip side, there are a few static pages that people often choose as entry pages to my sites.

Blogs can sell items, but you have a good suggestion that static pages of a "similar type" can "mirror" the blogs to the benefit of both.

I just need to analyze the popularity points of both and put the points into a "site blender" so to speak.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    >>Blogs can sell items

I have a blog (an SEO blog), and should put up a couple more to augment a few sites, but have discovered that I don't care much for blogging. I've been around message boards and forums so much for so long (almost 8 years) that it's second nature, and I love the community interaction. I find it hard to do blog posts when I can post at a forum and have interaction with all kinds of interesting people. Of course, it might be different if I set up a blog on a different topic (like about products) - maybe I should give it a try.

Among the best in the jewelry for making $$$ are Blue Nile - High ticket items do sell but a lot of them also come in non-commissionable cause sometimes it takes people more than 30 days to decide to spend 5k+ on an engagement ring. The right targeting can produce sales of 12.5k and up - 12.5 is the max commissionable sale for BN. Mondera has a much longer cookie and no cap the the amount of the sale they will pay on but they just don't covert that well at least on high end stuff. Ross Simons (cj) converts ok, Jewelry TV (cj) does really well at times, Ultra Diamonds (cj) has its moments. Pick a merchant more people have heard of (i.e. stronger brand) and you'll see conversion tick up. Even Overstock can be good for jewelry but it's nice to have more than a 14-day cookie if you are pushing high ticket items.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Rhia

On top of Mondera (thanks WW ) we also have Forzieri on LinkShare, Emitations on SAS, MyCeltic Jeweler on SAS plus SR, and FractionPrice on CJ... pick your poison

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Action Jackson - King of the World
    wish Blue Nile had a feed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Hi Rhia

On top of Mondera (thanks WW ) we also have Forzieri on LinkShare, Emitations on SAS, MyCeltic Jeweler on SAS plus SR, and FractionPrice on CJ... pick your poison

Cheers

Chris
    Thanks for the great info
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    In my experience, Google image searches don't convert and are a waste of bandwidth. People are looking for photos to use, not products to buy.
    Lately I've been getting many visitors from Google image searches (doesn't exactly thrill me) *but* my site statistics show that some of these visitors (but I wish more) will follow a link into my site once having landed on the portion with the picture.

80% of those image searches are directed at product pictures on my site.

20% of the visitors are attracted to my images (either a site graphic or an actual photograph).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Among the best in the jewelry for making $$$ are Blue Nile - High ticket items do sell but a lot of them also come in non-commissionable cause sometimes it takes people more than 30 days to decide to spend 5k+ on an engagement ring. The right targeting can produce sales of 12.5k and up - 12.5 is the max commissionable sale for BN. Mondera has a much longer cookie and no cap the the amount of the sale they will pay on but they just don't covert that well at least on high end stuff. Ross Simons (cj) converts ok, Jewelry TV (cj) does really well at times, Ultra Diamonds (cj) has its moments. Pick a merchant more people have heard of (i.e. stronger brand) and you'll see conversion tick up. Even Overstock can be good for jewelry but it's nice to have more than a 14-day cookie if you are pushing high ticket items.
    Thanks

Yes, actually, I have sold jewelry via Overstock, but you are right: in the long run it is good to have a mixture of merchants and merchandise.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Among the best in the jewelry for making $$$ are Blue Nile -
    I'm with many LS merchants, but I didn't get accepted at Blue Nile.
    I'll just build up my site(s) in general and jewelry sections with a focus on the jewelry merchants who have accepted me.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread