Advantages of WordPress over Blogger?
    I've been using Blogger since 2001. I probably will remain with Blogger.

I notice that some people prefer WordPress over Blogger: what are the reasons for that? Is it the ability to classify posts into categories?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Oh man, Wordpress kicks butt. To top it off, it's absolutely free (you have to pay for hosting, or you can use their hosting, even though that's a bit limited).

If you want absolute control of what your blog looks like, what it can do, then Wordpress is the way to go. It can be a bit complicated though. The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.

To top it off, the community is constantly improving upon it. This means there are hundreds of free plugins that do just about anything your heart desires.

I have a WP blog as well as Typepad. If you want ease of use, but want a powerful app as well, Typepad is pretty good. I use it for blogs that I want to put up quickly, and maintain easily.

Oh, if you're big on making your blog look good, but don't want to DIY or hire someone, then Wordpress is the way to go. Since the community takes part in its upkeep, they also design free templates.

They are the only blogging tool that I know of, which provides as many blog templates as they do.
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; May 7th, 2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot one thing

Thanks for your write-up, MoneyBusiness

You mentioned Typepad -- that involves a fee, right? But WordPress is free if you have your own hosting?

Thank you for the thumbs up
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Thanks for your write-up, MoneyBusiness

You mentioned Typepad -- that involves a fee, right? But WordPress is free if you have your own hosting?

Thank you for the thumbs up
    Np!

Yeah, Typepad is a hosted, paid service. I subscribe to the Pro service for $14.95. It's just about all that I need. Although, once you break through the initial learning curves (of blogging in general), you may want to do more (why I also use Wordpress).

Here's the link to their pricing plan: http://www.sixapart.com/typepad/pricing

As far as Wordpress, you can opt for their free version, which they'll host for you as well. However, you'll be pretty limited by what you do (about the same lines as blogger).

I'm hosted with Bluehost, which is all that I need (plus a lot more).

Good luck picking one!

Hi mate

After all there is a free download with wordpress. Why don't you give it a try and decide for yourself, whether is better than blogger or any other blog programs.

Bye

Has anybody checked out Writing Up. I signed up about a month ago and have several blogs going. It's free and you can earn some spare change with Adsense. A good many of the denizens are freelance writers (we're everywhere!) and it's more like a free-for-all forum with up-to-the-minute info on who's doing what.

Check it out at: http://www.writingup.com

I'm still with Blogger but I'm getting much more feedback at Writing Up and it's more fun.
    Last edited by Akiva; June 6th, 2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: removed affiliate id

Wordpress can be used as quite a good CMS for some purposes.
    With all the plug-ins and other ways to alter the basic setup it can be used to create a dynamic site that does'nt look at all like a blog, if thats what you wish.

I've used wordpress a fair bit and absolutely love it, for all the same reasons already cited above. I'd recommend giving it a go, at least. Since it's free, it's really a no risk option, imo

-DS

Don't discount Joomla either... They have some nice free blog style templates, and if you ever want to expand functionality, you're already sitting on a plug and play portal...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think the biggest advantage of Wordpress over Blogger is the ability to host it on your own server. With Blogger you're stuck hosting it on Google's servers and while it's free you are limited in what you can do to the code and data. I think it's important to have complete control over everything so I think it's best to host it on your own server.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think the biggest advantage of Wordpress over Blogger is the ability to host it on your own server. With Blogger you're stuck hosting it on Google's servers and while it's free you are limited in what you can do to the code and data. I think it's important to have complete control over everything so I think it's best to host it on your own server.

- Scott
    Actually, you can host Blogger on your own server, but your other points are good to keep in mind.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Actually, you can host Blogger on your own server, but your other points are good to keep in mind.
    I don't think you can. I looked for a place to download Blogger and they don't give you the software to use on your own. Maybe you mean you can alias your own domain to a blogger URL?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Right, Snib...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

- Scott
    Amen to that. Having absolute control over your blog software, as well as access to hundreds of plugins makes it worth the effort.

Picking the right server to host Wordpress makes it that much better, which leads me to: don't choose Yahoo as your hosting service. It was one of the first ones I used to host Wordpress, and good Lord, I won't do it again.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I don't think you can. I looked for a place to download Blogger and they don't give you the software to use on your own. Maybe you mean you can alias your own domain to a blogger URL?

- Scott
    You are right, you can't download the software, the software stays in the Google Sky

However, you can type your FTP in a form and Google/Blogger will publish your blog/upload your blog onto your host.

The weird thing about Google's Blogger is that I have 4 blogs on Blogger: 2 are supposed to be very public and the other two I use for my own notations and I've tried very hard to keep the 2 private ones private (there are preferences you can designate) but somehow they got listed on Ice Rocket. I write a couple of posts about creating bots and human intelligence in a private post and that became very popular

Heck, I'm going to start writing about creating bots and human intelligence on one of my public blogs

Google's Blogger has a quick "blog this" function but sometimes the site/info I wish to blog quickly (either for a post in my public blogs or as a "private post/sort of like a bookmark" in my not-designated-as-public-but-sometimes-they-leak blogs) gets a "null."
    I hate it when the "blog this" function says "null" (it favors my latest private blog and returns "null" to the others) won't blog what I want to blog!

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Amen to that. Having absolute control over your blog software, as well as access to hundreds of plugins makes it worth the effort.

Picking the right server to host Wordpress makes it that much better, which leads me to: don't choose Yahoo as your hosting service. It was one of the first ones I used to host Wordpress, and good Lord, I won't do it again.
    That's a good tip.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Rhia7,

I just moved our blog (blog.peerflix.com...still getting it up to speed) from Typepad to Wordpress and it wasn't too hard. I find that the functionality of WordPress provides a lot more flexibility to customize, as well as integrate really cool, fun tools that other's have built. The WordPress community is also very helpful and you can find answers to any question you'd have during integration/implementation.

It's been mentioned a few times about the flexibility, especially with all of the plugins. You can see many of them here: wp-plugins.net/.

Also, if you're going to install it and try it out I would suggest installing the widget plugin and then installing some of the widgets that others have builit. You can see some of those here: codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/WordPress_Widgets.

The plugins make the UI a lot easier to use or provide some functionality that excels beyond other services (ex, SEO, integrating with other sites). There are some serious consideration that you need to worry about in the changeover, such as importing all of you content and modifying your permalinks so that you don't lose inbound links. But with that said, there are some plugins that have been built to help you in that process.

Good luck,
    Jordan

ps - there are also hundreds of themes available if you don't want to spend a great deal of time customizing the look and feel of the site. With a few tweaks your blog will look top notch.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread