ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo - The New Sponsored Search is Coming
    Just going thru the email and the one from Yahoo has a bunch of improvements:

"You've told us your needs and we've listened. A completely redesigned search marketing platform is on its way, full
    of advanced, easy-to-use features that will help you better connect with Yahoo!'s vast and valuable audience."

This I like:
    Fast Ad Activation
    Most new ads will go online within minutes, allowing you to connect with customers quickly, and easily make changes to your ads whenever you need to.

Will wait and see how much better it is. I'm mainly using Google at this point until the others get better.

I've had a real hard time getting used to their current admin interface and so this sounds like good news.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The current Yahoo engine, little changed from days as Overture, used to enter and run ppc ads is a nightmare - one I've said is a billion dollar mistake. Yahoo is making noise about their new platform to be phase rolled out starting this Fall. Here's more details:

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/nl/may06ts.php
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    New and Improved Sponsored Search
    A completely redesigned search marketing platform is on its way, full of advanced, easy-to-use features that will help you better connect with Yahoo!'s vast and valuable audience.
    It's an exciting time here at Yahoo! Search Marketing. On May 8, we announced to the world that our completely redesigned Sponsored Search platform is just a few short months away from its official launch in the Fall of this year. We also revealed all of the great new features and tools that will be at your disposal. We truly mobilized our entire business to plan, test and deliver these enhancements to you, and we think that you're going to love the results!

Our new, completely redesigned search ad platform will provide you with an easier, more powerful way to connect to Yahoo!'s vast and valuable audience. The new platform represents a major breakthrough for advertisers, because it's:

Easier and more effective: Yahoo! consulted hundreds of your fellow advertisers to develop a campaign management work flow that is more intuitive and will provide more effective controls and features than any other competitive product.

Action- and insight-oriented: Our new campaign management application will provide you with more visibility and insight into your performance, and more control over how to improve it. This also ultimately provides users with a better online experience.

Built for the future: With the launch of this new platform, in the future Yahoo! will be able to build in features that leverage our unique assets to provide you with many more targeting, format and distribution options.

Powerful New Features
    In case you missed the May 8 email or the massive press coverage that followed, the new features that will make advertising with Yahoo! better and more effective include:

Easy-to-Use Control Panel
    Our completely redesigned, easy-to-navigate control panel will help you see what's working and what's not--at the level of detail you choose--so you can take action and get even better results.

Fast Ad Activation
    Most new ads will go online within minutes, allowing you to connect with customers quickly, and easily make changes to your ads whenever you need to.

Ad Testing
    You'll be able to easily test multiple versions of an ad to find the message that works best for your customers and provides the greatest return on your advertising investment. You can then choose to shift impressions to the ad that performs best.

Geo-Targeting
    The new platform enables you to display your ads broadly or narrow your geographic distribution to better target your customers, customize your ads and control your costs.

Campaign Budgeting, Forecasting and Scheduling
    You'll be able to create, budget and schedule individual advertising campaigns for greater control over your advertising strategy and spending. The account interface provides an easy way to review forecasts of your potential clicks based on your bids and budget, and see how many clicks you're leaving to your competitors.

Visibility
    Wouldn't you like to understand how well your ads are performing relative to your competitors? After launch, a new Quality Index will be displayed for each ad. You'll also see the bid range that is necessary for premium placement at the top of the search results page.

Get Your Map Out
    The geo-targeting feature in particular has attracted a lot of interest from your fellow advertisers this month. Geo-targeting will allow you to target your ads to potential customers located or interested in particular geographic areas within the market selected for your account. It looks at factors such as the user's search query or Internet Protocol (IP) address to determine when to display your ads.

For example, if your business sells real estate within the state of California you would want to select California as a geo-targeted region. Then, your ads will be shown to potential customers located in California, as well as to search users who may be located outside of California but who have entered search terms such as "California Real Estate."*

The Transition Plan
    To help ensure a smooth transition for you and other advertisers, we're going to take a phased, measured approach to upgrading our large, global customer base into the new system. While each advertiser's formal transition into the new system will take only a short amount of time, the full transition of all Yahoo! Search Marketing advertisers will take place over the course of a couple of months, beginning in the Fall of this year.

During each phase of the upgrade, we will provide you with numerous tools, communications, internal and external training options, an online support center and other resources to help you prepare in advance, get familiar with the new system, and use the new tools and features to their fullest. We will be communicating with you many times over the coming weeks and months to introduce you to the new platform functionality, and offer recommendations on how to prepare your account in advance of the transition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So much time wasted by Yahoo to revamp and overhaul their painfully slow current ppc management engine! Look through the above closely and you'll see they are finally realizing they need to behave more like Google AdWords.

Nothing like a good ass whooping in the marketplace to convince a punk it needs to listen to it's customers. I remember when they lied to me about more server capacity coming online at Overture so it would be humanly possible to manage ppc campaigns there... that slowness has cost Yahoo a ton of money. Maybe they're finally deciding to do something about it.

Good news for us, in my opinion.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Not one mention about their sleazy partnership syndications to every 3rd world BHO search bar junk trafficer. Seems my research into these moves to compete with Google also uncovered a private deal with Knoodle done by MSN's desktop e-mail application. I'm all for Yahoo making it easier to manage keyword Ad campaigns, if they make it harder for the click cheats and junk traffic perveyors to tap into their system.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Most new ads will go online within minutes"

They already do most of the time.

"Not one mention about their sleazy partnership syndications to every 3rd world BHO search bar junk trafficer. Seems my research..."

You must have been doing your research in a St. Clair Shores hazy daydream world. In Yahoo PPC you can just turn off the "run of network" ads and let them run on Yahoo only.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Really? Can you post a step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    In Yahoo PPC you can just turn off the "run of network" ads and let them run on Yahoo only.
    My understanding is that their PPC program, and the network feature doesn't always work as intended. I'm not sure where I read that (I think it was here on ABW).

I need to expand from only using Adwords, and I'm not sure if Yahoo or MSN should come next...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

MSN uses quality score and is easier and faster to set up. Because auctions with fewer bidders are almost always cheaper, MSN AdCenter is home of discount clicks for now. Do MSN next and save Yahoo Search (without content match) for 3rd.

Cool, sounds like a winner to me. I figured I could somewhat double my profits if I can get another PPC account going...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Well, there's not as much traffic available to grab at the other places since G has such a large share, doubling may be out of reach by just laddering M and Y onto G, but you might get another 50-70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Well, there's not as much traffic available to grab at the other places since G has such a large share, doubling may be out of reach by just laddering M and Y onto G, but you might get another 50-70%.
    I'm actually suprised I haven't done it earlier, to tell you the truth. I mean, the sites I currently have are all finished, and I have the bankroll to take care of PPC costs. Too much time on the construction end, I guess, and not enough on the promotion..

I'm going to try and finish the current project that's been keeping me awake, and then go ahead and apply. I'll take 50-70% for little work anyday...

Thanks Donuts.

edit: by the way, know of any promotions available for these two? I remember Yahoo having a $100 credit for something or another. I'm not sure Adcenter is even up to the point of handing vouchers out yet.

The latest pump from Yahoo about coming changes...
    pump / top story: http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/nl/jun06ts.php
    faqs / what's new: http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/nl/jun06wn.php

"We anticipate that the upgrade to the new system will be smooth and painless"
    Did they hire Google to manage the transition?

~~~~~~
    Q.: When will this happen specifically?
    A.: The new platform will impact hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide, so we are taking a deliberate, phased approach to rolling out its full capabilities:
    We've already completed building the foundational and core data platform upon which the services will be delivered. We will test it continually over the coming months before we move to the full rollout of the market design features.
    Later this year, we will start rolling out the new, completely redesigned, Sponsored Search, which will provide you with an easier, more powerful way to connect to Yahoo!'s vast and valuable audience.
    ~~~~~~
    They made this question up... and they can't even answer with a straight face!
    When? Later.

~~~~~~
    After many advertisers have had some time to try out the new application and management features and to modify their systems to take advantage of this new interface, we'll start the third stage, which is to introduce our new marketplace design. The new design will rank text-based results to improve relevance by considering multiple ad quality and relevance variables.
    ~~~~~~
    Once we switch everything around and migrate everyone to the new system, THEN we're going to try to do what Google's been doing for years....

~~~~~~
    Q.: Is the new system like your competitors'?
    A.: While we don't compare our system features with our competitors', we believe that our enhanced Sponsored Search is a whole new marketing platform that can enable you to deliver the right... blah, blah, blah... (I added the blahs)
    ~~~~~~
    PR guy wrote this is 2 minutes, hopped in beemer, went to gym, almost broke a sweat, ate tofu sandwich and a glass of ginseng tea...

~~~~~~
    Q.: What new factors will affect the placement of my ads?
    A.: The new Sponsored Search system will use a "Quality Index" to determine relative position of ads. It is a relative measure of your ad's performance, taking into account your bid amount and click-through rate, as well as other relevancy factors. The better an ad's Quality Index, the higher that ad is likely to be displayed on the page.
    ~~~~~~
    See, very different from Google... they use "Quality Score"... we have the brand new "Quality Index"...

I hope we get less talk and more action going forward, cuz these claims (versus their historical performance and dog slow system) are just hot air so far. And all this hot air smells remarkably like the cushions on the airport shuttle bus...

Why the chip on my shoulder with Overture / YSM? Cuz I've lived with the pain of slow service as a paying advertiser and have gotten years of false promises, once even in person at a conference, that speed issues would soon be fixed. Arghhh. Never labored so hard to spend my money. Glad they've been poked in the eye by G trouncing them as they sat. Very glad MSN dumped them as well. They've earned it. Fix it now though and all is forgiven - I don't want a relationship or grudges - just a place where I can effectively spend my money to get a return each day. Do something, don't just talk about it ad nauseum.

Yahoo revenue outlook disappoints, upgrade delayed
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news) on Tuesday delayed the launch of a much-anticipated upgrade of its search advertising system and issued a 2006 revenue outlook below Wall Street forecasts, sending its shares down 13 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060719/...hoo_earns_dc_4

The new ppc engine is being delayed by at least a calendar quarter... oh joy...

Read the last two paragraphs of my post immediately above this post... told you those cushions didn't smell right...

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread