Avon ad's try to direct people to go to their rep's websites, we lose commissions
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to mention this but since Avon is a merchant on linkshare I thought this would be the place to bring it up. If not, please let me know and I'll place it in the correct area.

I've noticed that many of Avon's ad's have this across the top of the page:
    "For personal service on these great product offers, contact your Avon Representative."

They also have links on the page where you can find and go to a representative's website and order from there.

Months ago I wrote to Avon and told them that I don't think it's appropriate for them to use my website for an ad that tries to re-direct my traffic to their rep's webpages but no one even bothered to respond. I don't place any of their ads on my website that contain the line above.

Just thought I would mention it.

Terry

If you have a text ad just redirect it to another cosmetic merchant you have on your site. Play the Game!

Hi Mailmain,
    I don't think I explained myself very well. What I'm talking about are the monthly ad's that Avon sends to it's affiliates for sales etc.. We place the ads on our site in order to entice our visitors to go to Avon's site.

If you don't check each ad before placing it on the website, you may be placing an ad that tries to usurp the visitor that you just sent to Avon. What this does is generate income for Avon's representatives who have websites and you don't get a dime if they buy through the reps site.

I think it's a bit sneaky and dishonest on Avon's part. If they want to send business to their reps that's fine but not on my back please. Their reps can do their own work to build their online business.

Hope that makes sense.
    Terry

Mailman, I don't think it's fair to the customer to have text that say's "Avon" in it and then send them somewhere else. I find that sort of thing annoying when it happens to me but then maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

Basically, I just wanted to let folks know so that they can avoid placing those ads if they so choose.
    Terry

No I mean before you remove their links change the code,redirect them and show Avon. Just to show them what it is like and if they think it's fair.

Hi Mailman,
    I know you were trying to be helpful and I'm sorry to make this complicated but I guess what you are suggesting is to have the user go to the avon site and then immediately be re-directed to another site? I initially thought that you meant to have the text mention avon but the link go to another merchant but that is apparently not what you meant.

First, I don't know how to do that although if there is a way I could probably figure it out. But more importantly, I don't want to jack my customers around. Would Avon even "get" it?

I think it would be more effective if affiliates just refuse to put those ads on their sites but that's just my opinion. At this time, I've removed any ad from my site that tries to direct users to Avon representative's websites.
    Terry

Hi Mailman,
    I know you were trying to be helpful and I'm sorry to make this complicated but I guess what you are suggesting is to have the user go to the avon site and then immediately be re-directed to another site? I initially thought that you meant to have the text mention avon but the link go to another merchant but that is apparently not what you meant.

First, I don't know how to do that although if there is a way I could probably figure it out. But more importantly, I don't want to jack my customers around. Would Avon even "get" it?

I think it would be more effective if affiliates just refuse to put those ads on their sites but that's just my opinion. At this time, I've removed any ad from my site that tries to direct users to Avon representative's websites.
    Terry

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Having a link say "Avon" and then leading a visitor to a different cosmetic site is not the point. If the link is generic "cosmetics," skin care," etc. then redirect that link to another cosmetic and/or skin care site.

Sending your visitor to anything but the name of a merchant in a link is absolutely not cool and you won't be making friends or return visitors that way.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Terry, did you try to create individual product links for Avon?

Those links will work.

I affiliate with Avon but I have not experienced the problem you describe.

I usually (with some exceptions) ignore monthly sales from merchants.
    I usually (gee, this one would have to be really good) ignore specials that last one week only.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Sending your visitor to anything but the name of a merchant in a link is absolutely not cool and you won't be making friends or return visitors that way.
    True ,,true..

but sending affiliates creatives to post up, that send the customer away
    to another site, that the affiliates dont get $ from. ???..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Thanks for all your responses.

Rhia wrote:
    Terry, did you try to create individual product links for Avon?

Thanks Rhia, yes, I have a couple of hundred of those for Avon. The ads that are typically the problem are those that are the monthly sales ads that have codes with them. They would be used to entice the user to go to Avon due to free shipping offers etc.. If you don't use those, then you are fine as far as I know. I haven't seen the offending text on any of the product links.

Rexanne wrote:
    Having a link say "Avon" and then leading a visitor to a different cosmetic site is not the point. If the link is generic "cosmetics," skin care," etc. then redirect that link to another cosmetic and/or skin care site.

Yes, I agree Rexanne. Thanks for the suggestion. I have tons of links to other cosmetic products for merchants other than Avon. Avon is just one cosmetic merchant out of several. Not sure what you mean by "redirect" but I think you mean put up ads for other merchants.

The whole point of me mentioning the problem is that I wanted to be sure others knew that it was happening so they could avoid losing commission due to customers being re-directed. I didn't notice it for months. The fact that I politely wrote to Avon with my concern and didn't recieve any response indicates that they either pay no attention to affiliate e-mails or they simply do not care. I think they know they are doing something that is not honorable.

It's up to us a group to keep each other informed about these types of deceptive practices.
    Terry

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread