Angry My Server Tech Guy Hung Up On Me
    What a jerk! My site was down from Sat. until 12 est today so I finally get a tech guy on the phone (they advertise 24/7 but then when you call it's Mon-Fri and part of Sat.) and I know what the problem is but can't access the file to take care of it on my end. He tells me a "real" tech person won't be in until 11~~!! which would have been 2 est. So I'm like......uh... could you call him and ask him to walk you through the process. He tells me.. "look..you're just one site out of 1,000 and no I won't call him." and he hung up on me!!!!!

I am so bent out of shape I can't see straight!!! If I knew how to move the site I would be soooo out of there but I had it designed and I'm not sure how to move it.

Anyway...... grrrr..... sigh.. I hate being an idiot and not knowing how to move things.

leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

http and a telephoto
    If you pick the "right" host they might be able to do the move for you! I would move asap if I were you....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Any suggestions? I've been with this place for 4 years. I know how to move all the main stuff, it's just some of the files that are private I'm not sure what to do with. I guess the worst thing that can happen is I can't figure it out but I guess I'll have to give it a try. This is a good example of why it's not such a great idea to have someone else design your site for you unless you understand how it's all tied together.
    Last edited by leeann; May 8th, 2006 at 06:29 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    If you happen to have cpanel access, just back it up (login to cpanel to find the backup icon). It will create a zip file and then get a new host with cpanel access and unzip it using cpanel again.

I use httpme.com, great service and support.

Moving web sites is a very easy process actually.

As the poseter above said if you use Cpanel, your new host can do a Cpanel to cpanel transfer no problem. Alternatively, simply bacing up the database (if you have one) and zipping up the web site or downloading it via FTP.

Any new host will be able to walk you through the process.

I used to run a web hosting company once. Sold it a long time ago and watched it be destroyed by the new owner. I'm no longer in the hosting business however, I know it pretty well. I currently use a company call "A Small Orange" for hosting. Great prices and even better service. There are several hosting review sites out there. It is worth your while looking into some. Another good place to look for hosting reviews is webhostingtalk.com

Your main priority at the moment though is to make sure you have a recent copy of your entire site.

Out of curiosity though, whats the one file that needs changing? I may be able to talk you through it.

It was a log file that accumulates and they have to periodically dump.
    leeann

And you have to dump it manually or ?
    Is this an SSH (secure shell) thing or did they have another method for you to connect?

I see it in when I connect through the ftp. It is in a folder called Logs and it says extend1log 338100224. I can't delete it but when they do it it solves the problem. I don't know if that helps answer your question or not.
    leeann

leeann,

You definitely need to move. It's very easy as many have mentioned here and your new host should be able to help you move. Maybe you can tell us who your host is so we can avoid them. This sounds like horrible service.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    What a jerk! My site was down from Sat. until 12 est today so I finally get a tech guy on the phone (they advertise 24/7 but then when you call it's Mon-Fri and part of Sat.) and I know what the problem is but can't access the file to take care of it on my end. He tells me a "real" tech person won't be in until 11~~!! which would have been 2 est. So I'm like......uh... could you call him and ask him to walk you through the process. He tells me.. "look..you're just one site out of 1,000 and no I won't call him." and he hung up on me!!!!!
    Leeann,

Run with your arms flying in the air! Totally unacceptable and insane that this cretin hung up on you and told you, in essence, your site wasn't important. Speaks for itself. I'd also send this information to the hosting company's top brass with the tech's name if you have it. He's a liability and an ass.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

As soon as I move the site I'll give the name of the company. I guess I am paranoid but I'm afraid if they see it here they'll mess with the site.
    leeann

No, that's a smart move, Leeann. I'd do the same.

I'd also agree that you should move, even though it only takes one bad apple to give a company a bad rep.

Try bluehost.com? They're pretty good and reliable. Their system, once you mess around a little, is pretty wonderful.

Anyway, good luck!

This reminds me why I learn how to do all "mission critical" stuff myself. It's a real PITA at times, but if I did it once, I know I can do it again and not be dependent on someone else.

If I pay for anything, it's to do stuff I know I can do, but can think of better or more profitable ways to spend my time.

Hope you sort it soon leeann, I hated these times when a host is playing "I've got the key, I might do you what you want if I feel like it" - it's great when you're free!

Yeah I'm definitely moving. They sent a note that my site could be down for 48 hours because I've got to move to their new Windows server or something. This is my most profitable site...48 hours is a killer and I just went through being down 48 hours (or close to it). It's not just the sales you lose but people will keep on going if your site is down too long and too often plus the IP is going to change. I'm not sure what that will do to things. Thanks for the site suggestions. So far none offer asp and one of these days I plan on changing things but for now I'm stuck with what I have.

"Your account is hosted on one of our old Windows servers. We have a
    new Windows 2003 Server hosting platform that will eliminate any
    issues with your account. Moving to the new platform may require
    some modification to your files because of differences in the
    systems.

When an account is migrated to the new platform, the IP address
    associated with your domain name will change. Therefore the site may
    be inaccessible via domain name for up to 48 hours because of DNS caching."
    leeann

Yeah, definitely a bad business. Any respectable host would provide some notification ahead of time, prior to long downtimes. That would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.

Switch while you can!

Okay so you see it in FTP but can't delete it. That makes sense, as the log file is probably owned by the root or has it's permissions set so it can't be accidently deleted from FTP.

What is happening is the log file is getting so big (meaning you are getting a lot of things logged - visitors, hits, etc etc) that the log file is filling your available space causing the site to suffer.

You have windows hosting meaning you don't have cpanel to cpanel transfers as an option, however your do have other options. If you want to stick with windows hosting, your new host will be able to help you get the site transfered. Downtime? Maybe 12 hours at a push but realistically since they updated root servers and made things faster there is no reason why it can't be nearly instant. Having said that though some people may see your old site for a little while until their ISP changes their settings (an automatic process that can take up to 12 or more hours to happen).

So in a nut shell. You really need to move away from your current host. You will experience a little bit of downtime as a result. You will be a much happier person because you will know you have moved to a host that cares about it's customers. One site or two hundred sites, it shouldn't matter to the host. Every customer is a paying one therefore every customer deserves the same level of service commitment.

Speaking of which. Have a look at your current hosts service level promises. If they say in there that support requests are handled with a fool that hangs up on you thats a worry, however, if as I expect, it says they value customers and service requests are respected, perhaps it would be worth pointing that out to them ... after you have left of course.

Again, I'm happy to help in any way if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by nmau

Again, I'm happy to help in any way if you need it.
    Thanks for the information nmau and for the offer. I found a few places to go and it looks like (as everyone said) they can help me move it. I'm glad to be moving on!
    leeann

no problem. Good luck with it

You can also use Filezilla, it's a ftp program where you can access your files thru it and save it to/from a new location anytime you like. But I am not sure if it's working now since your server is down.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread