More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Drawbacks to Hosting Multiple Domains on One Host?
    I recently obtained a hosting account that offers hosting of unlimited domains. I am considering moving a bunch of domains to this account.

Any big drawbacks? What about SEO?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Lightbulb
    on the other hand, it is a good way to park domains you're not ready to develop yet.

Just be very careful not to do anything that would get any of your domains banned from a search engine. If they ban one, they might ban all of them.

Also, if your server goes down, it affects all of your domains rather than just one.

Overall, I think the benefits can far outweigh the drawbacks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

if your linking between sites at all, make sure you don't go to heavy or any pr bump may be thrown out.

On the hosting be careful about who you host with, unlimited plans do come with limitations especially in a shared environment....you get what you pay for, so make sure the host has a great track record.

Tax Paying Member
    Most of my sites are hosted on the same host system account (multiple-domain hosting). So far, it has been good (3 years).

I use a hand full of main domains and a bucket full of subdomains which I treat as full grown sites. Google has not burped on this yet. All sites are spidered by Google and some have decent rankings and some ..........are getting better. The ranking is my fault, not because of the multi-domain hosting.

I like it because I don't need to flit all over the place to fix or check on my sites. Another advantage is that the accounting is easier and you are working with the same rules/system all of the time.

As said on another post, when the server is down, all is down.

This is my opinion, not a rule of law.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I am using HostGator. I want to place a few lower page sites on this host. Maybe experiment with some new site ideas.

The new domains are placed in subfolders but load up the same way as if they were hosted alone.

Are you saying that if I heavily interlink a bunch of sites hosted here it will result in a penalty with respect to search since they will all share the same IP address?
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm not saying it WILL I'm saying it could. I've seen good PR results with interlinking from the same ip block with the same whois info, but I've been conservative.

I'm sure the results would be stronger if they were from a seperate ip block with private whois.

at the very least it's a way to get the site spidered quick.

I have a bunch of sites on 2 reseller accounts and it does make life infinitely easier. Just to be safe, I link from my main sites to new sites, but avoid reciprocal linking back to the main sites. I read it on Webmasterworld a while back and it's a fine system, new sites are listed sooner with no penalties, knock on wood.

Hostgator killed one of my sites twice for overusing server resources. They never contacted me in either instance and the second time my site was screwed for almost a week and it never fully recovered. I still have a reseller account cuz i'm to lazy to move my lower traffic sites from them.

Be careful the site that was supposedly using to much resources didn't get more than 200 hits a day running a standard amazon script that has been tried and true. The site was getting deep crawled by slurp at the time they shut it down.

My sites that are still there I've had no issues with.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Just be very careful not to do anything that would get any of your domains banned from a search engine. If they ban one, they might ban all of them.

Also, if your server goes down, it affects all of your domains rather than just one.

Overall, I think the benefits can far outweigh the drawbacks.
    Yes I agree.

I think the best way is to use multiple providers and dont over-crowd any one account with a certain niche...in other words spead your baskets out as even as possible.

Personally I think there is a big difference as to the account having the ability to issue individual ips as opposed to all the domains stacked on a shared deal.

Also what makes a big difference is what is in the whois as well.

If all the domains are selling the same thing, have the same owner, and are on the same host and/or ip...they may cut you some slack and do a partial kill..., or they might leave the whole lot alone. or they may wipe out the whole deal,...Kinda dumb really because if you would of lied on the whois and opened multiple affiliate accounts (to avoid common affiliate trackin urls) whoever the lamer was (and it most cases it has to be a lame "SEOer" who is clueless) who filled out a spam report on you would of not had a case ( so he can get you out of the way so his laziness will move him closer to the top).

You see for some magical reason, The lamer's mediocre site is somehow better than all 10 of yours, and you are a spammer because you made more than one site to cover the bases while all he did was whine about other people's ability to get work done....

Still honesty does not hurt in the long run...I dont think (if you want to continually make sites) if you persist you wont be generally the big dog on top, but thats because likely as well you worked harder than anyone else to get there...and to me...being someone who makes a living off this stuff there is no better reason...until they come up with a different way of doing things....

correction...i meant to say you generally WILL BE the Big Dog on top...for what it's worth.

Tax Paying Member
    I agree with your statements, but since I am relatively new (untrained) in the computer world, I would like to get a more clear view of things for my own benifit.

I also use multi-domain hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz

I think the best way is to use multiple providers and dont over-crowd any one account with a certain niche...in other words spead your baskets out as even as possible

Personally I think there is a big difference as to the account having the ability to issue individual ips as opposed to all the domains stacked on a shared deal.....
    I have multiple sites, never duplicate sites under the same domain. My host allows dedicated IP's for each main domain.

Also what makes a big difference is what is in the whois as well......
    Is the "who is" not the same regardless of how many accounts that you set up or how many providers that you use??? There is nothing in my "who is" concerning affiliat marketing.

If all the domains are selling the same thing, have the same owner, and are on the same host and/or ip...they may cut you some slack and do a partial kill..., or they might leave the whole lot alone. or they may wipe out the whole deal,...Kinda dumb really because if you would of lied on the whois and opened multiple affiliate accounts (to avoid common affiliate trackin urls) whoever the lamer was (and it most cases it has to be a lame "SEOer" who is clueless) who filled out a spam report on you would of not had a case ( so he can get you out of the way so his laziness will move him closer to the top).

You see for some magical reason, The lamer's mediocre site is somehow better than all 10 of yours, and you are a spammer because you made more than one site to cover the bases while all he did was whine about other people's ability to get work done........
    Did I miss something? I did not see mention of building multiple duplicate sites by using multi-domain hosting.

Still honesty does not hurt in the long run...I dont think (if you want to continually make sites) if you persist you wont be generally the big dog on top, but thats because likely as well you worked harder than anyone else to get there...and to me...being someone who makes a living off this stuff there is no better reason...until they come up with a different way of doing things....
    It has nothing to do with honesty. It has to do with using your resources wisely and efficiently.

What is the difference between using multidomain hosting and several single accounts with the same host? Or is it best to go with a different host for each domain.

I am trying to learn also. If I am wrong, please explain.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

"Did I miss something? I did not see mention of building multiple duplicate sites by using multi-domain hosting."

I was not speaking of making duplicate sites.

I just dont think it's good to have everything in a single niche (what you are selling) in the same multiple host account.

It need s to be spread out amongst different multiple hosting accounts, different nameservers,ips.

Im not sure if you understood what I mean by "whois"

If all of your domains are listed under the same name in the "whois"

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

and have the same host, same owner, and are selling the same thing...it could be the prelude to the kiss of death...be it a network of 5 sites or 20...it could work, but then again it could not. With Google it seems they can automatically detect this. But Google also hires people to police the results (particularly the ones worth anything) and they clear out sites all the time en masse...so no matter what you do with them there are no guarantees...even if you launch and use countermeasures.

I see one danger: If one of your sites is a site that you forsee thousands of daily visitors down the line, it could wipe out all the others by shutting things down. Of course we all hope for that many visitors! I have niche sites that I know won't get that kind of traffic - I think I will try a few of these on mulitple domain hosting.

Cheesehead,

that is a huge danger to being on a poorly run shared enviornment RESOURCES

VPS accounts cost more but act just like a reseller account. you get what you pay for...meaning if you get a package with 256k ram, that is what you can use, not just 2% CPU of what is on the shared box wich is the limitation of most shared options...thus shutting down any site with decent traffic and a script

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I I think I will try a few of these on mulitple domain hosting.
    Do you mean multiple domains on one host or do you mean multiple domains distributed among 2 or 3 or more hosts?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    dsteitz is right on the money. No pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Do you mean multiple domains on one host or do you mean multiple domains distributed among 2 or 3 or more hosts?
    I mean multiple domains on one host accessed through a single control panel.

For Virtual Private Servers, which is better, Linux or Windows?
    Would the following work for most sites?
    128MB Ram Burst to 256
    100 GB Transfer
    3 GB Storage

What type of traffic would this handle? I am seeing a linux plan at about $30 per month. That's not too bad. Something to keep in mind for one site I have.

ABW Ambassador
    Linux or Windows?
    Well, think how many necessary (and simple) uses there are for .htaccess on Linux/Apache, and what the alternatives are for IIS, and the answer is self-evident.

Cheese,

check your pm ;-)

Tax Paying Member

I just dont think it's good to have everything in a single niche (what you are selling) in the same multiple host account..
    I am really confused. I do not make sites of the same product mix, they all have different products. It is like a series of small speciality shops.

It need s to be spread out amongst different multiple hosting accounts, different nameservers,ips...
    Each of my main domains has a dedicated IP. Isn't this the same effect as having different host accounts??

Im not sure if you understood what I mean by "whois"

If all of your domains are listed under the same name in the "whois"...
    Isn't this required when you buy a domain. Aren't we required to give our real name and address. Is it permissable to register our domains under different names?

and have the same host, same owner, and are selling the same thing...it could be the prelude to the kiss of death...be it a network of 5 sites or 20...it could work, but then again it could not.
    Again, let me say, I am not trying to sell the same products on these sites. Are we still doing something wrong?

Is this set-up any different than having multiple pages on a single site??

Thanks for the information so far. I am digesting.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I see one danger: If one of your sites is a site that you forsee thousands of daily visitors down the line, it could wipe out all the others by shutting things down. Of course we all hope for that many visitors! I have niche sites that I know won't get that kind of traffic - I think I will try a few of these on mulitple domain hosting.
    As long as the server is configured properly and it isn't too resource-intensive, most dedicated servers can handle tens (or even hundreds) of thousands of visitors per day with no problem. Besides, you can always move sites to another server or even round-robin between multiple servers if you exceed that. Probably fewer than 10,000 sites in the world get enough traffic that it would be a strain on a single server, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I am really confused. I do not make sites of the same product mix, they all have different products. It is like a series of small speciality shops.:

Each of my main domains has a dedicated IP. Isn't this the same effect as having different host accounts??
    Not really, but it's a step up from having them share an IP. If they are not of the same niche I would not worry about it.

Isn't this required when you buy a domain. Aren't we required to give our real name and address. Is it permissable to register our domains under different names?
    Yes, but ethically I can't see any stumbling blocks to buying it for a friend or family member either...even better if they live a good distance from where you do.

Again, let me say, I am not trying to sell the same products on these sites. Are we still doing something wrong?
    In any case even if you were I would not say it was "wrong"...just maybe not as tactful as possible...and if you are not it would not be as easily detected...so again I would not worry about it.

Is this set-up any different than having multiple pages on a single site??
    I think one of the biggest pitfalls for beginners is overstuffing a site. If you are attempting to move multiple goods and services from a single site, you drown out and neutralize the site's dedication to a particular niche in the search engines. This will directly effect your placement and strength. Personally, I recommend separate sites with appropriate keywords in each niche that you are targeting.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread