Question Duplicate Content - ?
    Asif,

I am working on pushing the Free-of-Fourth-Click idea to current and prospective affiliates, and a question arose. One of the prospective ones is telling me that they would not be able to use the GC code as they would then fall under the "duplicate content penalty"... Is this true, or do SEs "see" the GC code in somewhat different of a way than regular HTML code?

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    It's javascript, no dupe penalty.

Affiliate Manager
    Geno,

Here is an excerpt from GC's FAQs:

Q. If thousands of other users are also using GoldenCAN Store Integration on their websites, can my website be penalized by search engine for duplicate contents?
    Ans. No, your website is only displaying GoldenCANís hosted data. You web sites actually do not have any physical data available. When a search engine spider, crawls your website they only find one line of JavaScript code on your webpage and no other duplicate contents. Using this one line of JavaScript is almost same as using a banner on your website.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Asif,

I am working on pushing the Free-of-Fourth-Click idea to current and prospective affiliates, and a question arose. One of the prospective ones is telling me that they would not be able to use the GC code as they would then fall under the "duplicate content penalty"... Is this true, or do SEs "see" the GC code in somewhat different of a way than regular HTML code?

Geno
    GoldenCAN one line of code is a JavaScript and search engine canít read it. That is why there is no chance of duplicate content penalty.

http://www.goldencan.com/faq.aspx#Q19

ABW Ambassador
    The reason there is no penalty is because there is no benefit.

You mean from an SEO perspective Chet? Or are you out on GC overall?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Here on an SEO perspective.

But it is my general thought on it as well, if a million people are doing something, you should either be thinking of how to cash in on those million people, or how to do something different than those million people.

Chet

I like it for the fact spiders don't see it. You can have a targeted content page thats already getting buying traffic and pop in goldencan without shaking things up and offer the product they're looking for instead of a ppc ad.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    It's javascript, no dupe penalty.
    That's exactly what I needed to hear. I am offering it to already well-established sites. Ones that have thousands of beautifully targetted visitors. I believe, GC's solution would not only benefit RL, but will also enhance them with a online "gift shop of their own", granting their visitors an altogether different experience at these sites.

Thank you for your feedback, everyone! Much appreciated.

Geno

One of the things I like about GC is that the Se's Can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    One of the things I link about GC...
    "link" as in "like"?

Ya, I must have 'links' on the brain!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you go through the example site's listed on GC's site, you'll see many cases where pages are made with nothing on them but GC display. This, of course, is a mistake if you're looking for organic traffic for that page.

The advantages are ease and speed of setup, no real maintenance to keep things current and that you can completely control the seo of your pages without worrying about dupe content or other aspects of catalog display interfering with the precise seo you have planned for the page.

It's a very powerful tool.

If you use it wrong (no other content on your page), you'll be hoping for traffic that will never come.

I browsed through the example sites that are listed on GC's site, found one fairly rich in content, and it had the #1 position on google for it's target keyword.

It's not a site builder tool. It's a clever and simple way to drop products and your links in among content for seo. It can also make for a very effective product specific ppc landing page (big hint ppc'ers). And if you have existing traffic / community, it's one low maintenance way to monetize it.

The growth of free-of-4th-click merchants has made this a valuable addition to every affiliates toolbox, and in those cases, it's free!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread