Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The Home Marketplace - Ripping us off just like Walter Drake
    I clicked through on one of the affiliates links for a product at The Home Marketplace and encountered a page with no links to products or shopping cart, just this message:
    Thank you for visiting The Home Marketplace Online. We are currently performing general maintenance or product updates.

You may still place your order by calling our toll free number at 1-800-356-3876. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    But guess what? If you type in www.thehomemarketplace.com you get their fully functioning web site! Wow! Do you think maybe they're ripping us off? You betcha.

So bye-bye The Home Marketplace. You've lost an affiliate AND a customer. Feel free to send your own complaints to the useless affiliate manager, Kristy Tamm at ktamm@mileskimball.com.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=71428

ABW Ambassador
    Is it still happening for you? I just tried some text links and don't see it. Is it just the products links you're seeing this with, all of them or just that one?

I'm getting this with text links to product pages. Still getting it. If CJ can land that link on THM's web site than THM can get the home page to display even if they can't pull up product pages. That "we're broken calll our 800 number" messsage is designed to subvert our customers to avoid paying commissions. This is no accident, is it Kristy?

I have them through performics, and it seems to work okay

Did you expect any different treatment? They are owned by the same company along with Miles Kimball.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I just sent this message to Kristy Tamm:

Thanks for doing your part to destroy affiliate marketing.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=73255

ABW Ambassador
    one merchant at linkshare is doing the very exact thing. at certain hours during the day, their LS links go to an 800-number under-maintenance page but when you go to the site directly, the site is up and running. don't know if the companies or the website operators are related.

and another company at cj is doing something similar. above their pages is a flap-size call-this-800-number message, which you can only see through cj links. when you go to their site directly and click on their navigation, you will not encounter the message because the links automatically scrolls you down the page.

and here's the clincher. if you want to link to their front page, so that the message will not appear, you will discover that you can't. they don't provide a link to the homepage, and you can't customize one of their available links to redirect to the homepage.

i have posted both of the above issues before in this board.

ABW Ambassador
    How about telling everybody who they are.

ABW Ambassador
    i have told everybody who they were in the previous posts that i mentioned.

if i find those posts again, i will link them here.

what i can remember is that the cj merchant is a pay-per-lead well-known financial merchant while the LS one is a sports merchant.

Rhea I found the same thing happening to me. Somewhere here I posted it a few months ago. At first I thought it was because I make my links by hand and hadn't updated, you know I had older product links. I updated all links then saw after a while the same thing happened after a period of heavy traffic so I began pulling most their links replacing with competitors. Funny I did fairly well with them at the beginning.

Just like you said, now I even won't shop them. I still look at their catalogs so that I can find products I want to promote- only now I search for another merchant.

one merchant at linkshare is doing the very exact thing. at certain hours during the day, their LS links go to an 800-number under-maintenance page but when you go to the site directly, the site is up and running. don't know if the companies or the website operators are related.
    I'm going to guess that it's Miles Kimball, owned by the same company as THM.

...and another company at cj is doing something similar. above their pages is a flap-size call-this-800-number message, which you can only see through cj links. when you go to their site directly and click on their navigation, you will not encounter the message because the links automatically scrolls you down the page.
    I'm going to guess that it's Walter Drake, also owned by the same company as THM and Miles Kimball.

And the biggest shocker of all is they're all managed by Kristy Tamm.

Have you thought about putting in a request for NQ to look this over? It seems that if this is correct, that it would cause some sort of breach of the affiliate agreement, based on cloaking the pages.

NQ is there for publishers almost as much as it is for advertisers....well ok maybe not, but publishers can contact them with problems too

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm going to guess that it's Miles Kimball, owned by the same company as THM."

They're not at LS, so it's not them.

ABW Ambassador
    As noted above, I emailed Kristy Tamm last night. I received this response from her early this morning.
    Good morning,

I read the board and am very disappointed by your experience with us.
    Our goal has always been to work with our affiliates to increase sales.
    If you have any special requests, we are always willing to take the time
    and help out.

We were not aware that the issue described was happening with some
    items; I am working to isolate the problem right now. So far I have not
    been able to find any items that are not showing up correctly. If you
    can tell us what items this is happening with, we can fix them.

I regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,
    Kristy
    I replied to that email:
    Kristy,

I am not an affiliate of yours but the postings that I referred you to have
    been confirmed by more than one person and more than one company which you
    are responsible for. I would strongly urge you to post on that thread
    asking for specific information if you want any semblance of credibility
    restored.

Affiliates certainly do rely on information posted on ABestWeb and I can
    assure you that discussions like this one can make or break an affiliate
    program.

These are serious allegations that should be rectified ASAP.
    Hopefully we'll hear from her here.

Here's a clue, Kristy. http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/ma...ct_detail.aspx

It was nice of you to send the email, Snowman but I doubt she has the guts to show up here. There have been too many of these little "accidents' with her merchants. I doubt there's anything she could say at this point to convince us to stick with her programs.

ABW Ambassador
    So the product link is going to that page. As to the product itself, if you go to the merchant directly, is the product available? Can you link to it? Also rereading the thread, no one else confirmed they are seeing the same thing. Anybody else with Home Marketplace links currently seeing the same thing and if so what kind of links are they? Product links, banner links or text links. I just have text and banner links and they still work fine.

Several people confirmed it. Read the thread in its entirety.

I'm guessing that this only occurs when a product is out of stock. That still is unfair to affiliates. The landing page for OOS products should be the main page.

ABW Ambassador
    i checked ONLY three of my home marketplace links.

though they were working fine as they're supposed to, i have no doubt that the maintenance page is real and did happen because like i said, i encountered the same thing with other merchants.

they are difficult to replicate because they come and go during the day, and you can only see them if you happen to check while they are on.

just like rogue affiliates, it's like a cat and mouse game. they do these things until they are caught. then they remove them altogether ... for a while ... and start them again when nobody's looking.

darn, one merchant at LS is even playing bait and switch. instead of rewarding converting affiliates with a higher commish, they give that instead to nonconverting ones until they convert. then they lower the commish.

if you have two accounts at LS you can play this cat and mouse game by switching your links over to the higher commish account every month.

ABW Ambassador
    "Several people confirmed it. Read the thread in its entirety."

I did, not one. Who? Quote it.

"I'm guessing that this only occurs when a product is out of stock."

That's what i was thinking. That's why I asked what did you see if you went directly to the merchant site and typed the product in. It might be a simple thing that they need to redirect an out of stock product link to the home page or something. But no one else in this thread confirmed seeing the same thing because I don't think it's a widespread thing where the merchant is out to screw you. Probably what you said, just an out of stock product that should be redirected to a better page. Or don't have out of stock links on your site.

I just checked my THMP links - some product links are showing the "temporarily offline, call our 800 #" and some are going to the product. I suspect this has to do with the product feed. If they're out of stock or the link to that product changed, the page pops, otherwise, it's biz as usual. I'm gonna go back and check from their homepage to see if I can get the products that popped the page from there and will post if the product is, in fact out of stock. BRB
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

The product I have on my site is indeed not available anymore so it might be that they pop that page on out of stock items. Yes, Rhea ... they should re-route the click back to the home page.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Trust

my own experience/s has to do with a general/category link, not with product links, so it has nothing to do with the specific products being out of stock. the category url also wasn't changed nor deleted, so it's not that.

i am not stating that the merchant is out to screw us, although the effect is the same.

i am merely stating what exactly has happened.

of course our perceptions will be clouded by our own biases. but if you set aside your bias and look at the picture as it is, it doesn't look good.

ABW Ambassador
    If the product is out of stock, you probably wouldn't get a sale anyway and I only use text and banner links, so it doesn't affect me.

However, it does look like this only happens with out of stock product links and it shouldn't go to the page it's going to now. It should go to the home page. Ask the affiliate manager if they can make that happen.

"my own experience/s has to do with a general/category link, not with product links, so it has nothing to do with the specific products being out of stock."

With this merchant? Thought you said they were working fine?

"i checked ONLY three of my home marketplace links.

though they were working fine as they're supposed to,"

Then went on to say you've encountered this with other merchants.

Like I said, it should never go to the page Rhea was seeing, should go to home page.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    With this merchant? Thought you said they were working fine?
    i said, i checked three of my links and those three were working fine. i didn't say that the merchant is working fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast