Hello,
    Where can I find or buy a graphics program (jpg)(gif)that has quality pictures not clip art for a site we are trying to build? Hope this is not a dumb ? as I am new to this. Thanks

What type of pictures are you looking for?

The graphics program I use is Photo Impact from Ulead. It is user friendly and come with a few photos, ready made templates etc.. I make all my graphics with it.

If you need some free photos, I have a few links I could give you. Will have to check my other screen name, as they are in my favorites there. Will post later.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You might want to try Photo Disk. They have very high-quality photographic images (jpg I would assume).

Be warned, though, even though the title says "royalty-free"--they WILL cost you! I believe that by "royalty-free", they mean that they don't charge for each time the image is shown. But there IS a charge involved.

I didn't re-check out their site, so I don't know what the current price is. The nav. also looks a bit confusing (they changed it since I last looked) but as I noted at the bottom of this post, they say they're moving the site so maybe it'll be better at the new site...

I had originally found the site because they provide Away.com with some of their excellent "wallpaper" pictures. Away's pictures would have their PhotoDisk's name in the corner. They must have gotten some kind of deal for showing the name, because as I recall, the site says you don't have to show that as part of a normal purchase (unless they changed it when I wasn't looking).

On February 1st, the site says it is moving HERE, so if you get a 404 you know what's happening (I say this knowing that some people will read this after today).

I haven't dealt with them myself (YET), so I don't know how their service, etc. is, but it might be worth checking out...

I just checked the address they're going to. There, they have disks of images as well, so you don't have to buy 'em one-by-one.

Only thing is, it seems that you have to register at their sites now to see the prices...

[Edited to try to fix second URL--if you see the link it worked!]

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    I bought a LOT of royalty-free art for my last day job. (Yes, I do my own graphics, but there are times when it is much more cost-effective to buy it.)

Photodisc is an excellent service, but pricey. And no, you don't have to show any sort of credit to them once you've purchased the images -- there may be exceptions (for example if you use XX number of images in one publication), but it has been a while since I read over their agreements.

Another excellent service (and affiliated with Photodisc, but I forget how -- PD may be the parent) is Eyewire. Their pricing is usually a bit more palatable and they have good-excellent quality images.

Some additional sites with royalty-free (one time charge, you don't pay fees on every usage) photography:<ul><LI>Photospin<LI>RebelArtist (freelance artists, generally inexpensive, but prices (and usage terms) are set by the individual photographers/artists - quality and pricing varies wildly)<LI>ArtToday.com Better known for the clipart (and for good reason), but if you're looking for cheap, this is the place to go. Some good images, but you always get the feeling that these are the shots that were left on the roll after the photographer sold the good stuff to Photodisc.[/list]

Whatever site you use, though, keep in mind that for the web, you do NOT need the highest resolution (most expensive) images... most times the lowest resolution is perfectly suited to the web.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cedric, I just signed up as a "member" of PhotoDisc to see their prices.

Talk about PRICEY allright! :eek: :eek: :eek:

(At least an entire CD is pricey, I'm still checking out the rest of their site.)

Sheeesshhh...guess I'll be clicking that EyeWire link after all!

BTW, they're all owned by Getty Images (the place in the second link in my other post), and apparantly one login will work for both places along with a bunch of others now.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread