Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Shall we sell some paperweights?
    I have a merchant that is considering starting an affiliate program. They sell paperweights (least expensive ones are in the range of 40-50 GBP; most expensive ones - over 3000 USD). Based in the UK.

Would you promote something like this?

Geno

I gave my Dell away. So I'm in the market for a new paperweight...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Cool
    too bad the paperweight market is restricted to the extremely arty glass kind or the personalized (picture inserted) kind.

originally, paperweights were used in all offices where the windows were open all summer and the wind could clear a desk in no time at all. air conditioning fixed that.

however, this sounds like a collectible -- is this a worldwide-recognized brand?

ABW Ambassador
    There aren't too many searches for paperweights, but the competition isn't overly high - about 3 million pages returned at Google.

Per Overture keyword tool:

3621 paperweight
    5212 paperweights

(specifics for the above are down toward the lower hundreds)

570 paper weight
    820 paper weights

They aren't really high demand products, but are more like *niche* products, and as mentioned could be collectibles or gift items - though those prices aren't exactly cheap translated into USD, so they'd better be collectible and/or available in popular decor or collectible themes (like lighthouses, etc), imho.

The range of range of 40-50 GBP would be an expensive item for some people (yes, I understand that they get even pricier).

I would have to see the site that is selling them (or a sample) before I would commit to paperweights.

Are any of the paperweights made of glass, crystal, amethyst or some kind of interesting semi-precious stone?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    however, this sounds like a collectible -- is this a worldwide-recognized brand?
    We're talking close to 50 (!) world-known brands (American, English, Scottish, New Zealand, Chinese, etc)... Extremely gorgeous things. The most expensive ones would be the antique ones (about 1/10th of the inventory), dating back to early 1800s, running for as much as $6500. But the modern ones would start from $15 - $28.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    The range of range of 40-50 GBP would be an expensive item for some people (yes, I understand that they get even pricier).
    The majority of them about be more like 200-350 GBP. They are not for "most people". Like WW said:

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    They aren't really high demand products, but are more like *niche* products, and as mentioned could be collectibles or gift items - though those prices aren't exactly cheap translated into USD, so they'd better be collectible and/or available in popular decor or collectible themes (like lighthouses, etc), imho.
    They are collectible, and you would not believe how much some people are spending on them! They are also available in a whole range of "popular decor and collectible themes". I am attaching just a few pictures to this post for you to see what kind of product we're talking about.

Are any of the paperweights made of glass, crystal, amethyst or some kind of interesting semi-precious stone?
    Good question, Rhia. All of them will be glass, fused glass, with swirls, flowers and other "stuff" inside... Most of them are round, but there are also some of square and other beautiful shapes. See the pictures.

Very "niche" product, but people who know about them do buy them well.

Looking forward to more feedback.

Geno
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb
    antique paperweights in glass are expensive and that is because of what they are and how old they are.

reproductions should not cost as much. good reproductions bring legal liability based on how they are sold, representations made, etc.

the subject is still interesting as a niche item but now I'm wondering about the price/commission structure and how these are presented at the merchant's site.

also: do you know if these are or have been placed for sale on eBay?

also: there exist price guides for this product as antiques.

antique paperweights in glass are expensive and that is because of what they are and how old they are.
    I'll tell you something. There are some US-made ones that they are selling and they date back to 1845! Now that is old for America!

...I'm wondering about the price/commission structure and how these are presented at the merchant's site.
    Commission will be nice. Still thinking about that, but you know me - I like it when my affiliates are happy; and happy = well-paid.

Why would presentation at the merchant's site be something you're thinking about now? Nice pictures - yes. Mouth-watering descriptions - will have them if I take this project any further.

also: do you know if these are or have been placed for sale on eBay?
    Nope.

Geno

They look gorgeous!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

They do. Should I take it as a "yes, I will sell them"?

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    They do. Should I take it as a "yes, I will sell them"?
    I'd be willing to feature some.

If I seem to be a little "slow" as an affiliate it's because although I have many pages up already, I am starting to question my design(s): thus I asked this question last night

I'd like to sign up for your jewelry program and for some other programs, but I need to tackle the site design(s) and information integration first

Also there would be a question of pricing: are they all priced in GBP?

Most of my visitors are from the US but I do attract viewers from all over.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for your sincere reply, Rhia.

If you join both of my programs (RL and FJB) and put at least two beautiful links for each, I'll pay you $15.00 GBs (by crediting them to you affiliate account). Hope this motivates...

Geno

If you join both of my programs (RL and FJB) and put at least two beautiful links for each, I'll pay you $15.00 GBs (by crediting them to you affiliate account). Hope this motivates...

Geno
    Did you start the program yet?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Did you start the program yet?
    If you're talking about the paperweights one - Nope. Still researching...

Geno
    RL is Russian Legacy and FJB is the jewelry program, right?

I've joined RL and I intend to join your jewelry program: is there a time limit on your offer?

The reason I ask is I would like to do some web design changing/perfecting of my sites (before taking on more affiliate programs). I intend to do the improvements soon
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

RL is Russian Legacy and FJB is the jewelry program, right?
    Correct.

I've joined RL and I intend to join your jewelry program: is there a time limit on your offer?
    For you - no. Just let me see some quality pages/links (preferably products).

And now let's get back to the topic of the thread. Anyone else has comments/suggestions about selling paperweights? Would you promote a merchant like that?

Geno

My Husband and I used to blow glass and make paper weights...and sell them. Our glass site is still up but not promoted. I still get the occasional hit for paperweights, so there must not be much competition for that term if where ranking with no effort.

I have to say this, in the fine arts craft world , glass is and has been exploding here in the u.s. for the past decade or so and it is continuing to grow.

There is a market for Modern art glass in the u.s. and at the art fairs paperweights would always outsell most everything else. I'm sure just like everything else its how you market it. Know your market.

My 2 cents...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    I have to say this, in the fine arts craft world , glass is and has been exploding here in the u.s. for the past decade or so and it is continuing to grow.

There is a market for Modern art glass in the u.s. and at the art fairs paperweights would always outsell most everything else...
    Thanks, Suzi. Good "2 cents". I'll keep 'em...

Geno

It would not be something difficult at all to dominate. Still the search numbers as mentioned above clearly proclaim it's a very lightly travelled area. I don't really think that because the paperweights are generally more expensive (hence bigger comm.) it will compensate for the lack of demographic interest....still collectively and over a period of time I can't see it being a failure as ,long as you get a few sales a month.

Id do it out of curiosity as to what would happen more than anything else...This could be a good indicator for similiar issolated niche items.

That's an approach too ("do it out of curiosity as to what would happen..."). As a matter of fact, this exact approach was the predominant one among affiliates when I started my very first affiliate program... Turned out to be a success for many.

Thank you for being sincere and looking forward to working with you.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Geno, I've been giving a bit of thought and done a tiny bit of research, and think that if it's a quality site that looks like it'll convert, it's worth the plunge.

It's not high volume, but collectors are AVID in their pursuit; it's a desirable product within that niche, which seems to be an active one. Plus, especially since it's so very niche, if they're good, ethical people, having you as their AM would be the best move they could make to increase their sales via the affiliate channel.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    You know it just occurred to me, when I really need a paperweigh when I'm outside with papers and the wind is blowing. I never seem to have one... Maybe the big seller is not a paper weight, but heavier paper that won't fly away ;-)

ABW Ambassador
    heavier paper that won't fly away ;-)
    Hahaha!

All of them will be glass, fused glass, with swirls, flowers and other "stuff" inside... Most of them are round, but there are also some of square and other beautiful shapes. See the pictures.

Very "niche" product, but people who know about them do buy them well.
    I don't know about promoting them as paperweights, but I like those three thumbnails, and if the rest of the products are nice looking like that, I think they may sell good on any gift store website with good traffic.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I like those three thumbnails, and if the rest of the products are nice looking like that, I think they may sell good on any gift store website with good traffic.
    Sal, trust me, the rest is as nice or even nicer-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I don't know about promoting them as paperweights...
    So what would you suggest promoting them as? Just decore gifts?

Geno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast