Every evening for the past few months I was uploading files from my server to my pc via ftp just in case something went wrong on their end. This was at least a two hour process that included tons of timeout errors etc.

This morning I noticed my host provides an archive manager that can zip my files.

DUH!

2 hours down to 5 minutes! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Yah for me!

Just thought I would share with the class

I have never downloaded from my server back to my PC. Is that really necessary? My server provides tape backup. Should that not be good enough?

ABW Ambassador
    I would never feel safe without downloading everything at least monthly. Even having it on your PC is not enough. Burn a copy and put it in a very safe place.

Just think of where you would be if everything vaporized! It should take you about two seconds to realize how important multiple backups are!

ABW Ambassador
    I think the Eleventh Commandment is "Thou shalt keep up-to-date, multiple backups."

Breeze;

I do burn everything monthly onto a CD from my hard drive, so why would I need to back up from the server. It seems redundant to me, since everything on the server was put there by me. :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have never downloaded from my server back to my PC. Is that really necessary? My server provides tape backup. Should that not be good enough?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your server company goes out of business, do you think they will send you a tape?

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: lansing ]

ABW Ambassador
    DON'T depend on your host for backups. A cyber-friend of mine who had one of the most respected websites in his niche (ultrarunning) lost EVERYTHING when his host screwed up in December. He had copies of most individual articles, but not the actual site, if that makes sense, so he's faced with a dreadful mess to clean up. Last I heard he still hadn't decided whether to start over or just let it die. He was not using his own domain name - he used an account within his host's domain, so he'd have to start all over with link pop too. He had registered his own domain but didn't set it up because things seemed fine as they were. (Not a web marketer, you can tell). The ultrarunning community has lost a valuable resource and might not ever get it back.

The moral: Keep your backups in good shape, and don't trust *anyone* except yourself to do things right.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The moral: Keep your backups in good shape, and don't trust *anyone* except yourself to do things right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen, amen, and amen.

I got burned by not doing that while in Corporate America ... and I was NOT working for some fly-by-night company, it was well-established, 5000+ employees, hundreds (if not 1000+) of "geeks" in the IT department.

My group was responsible for the web site... but not the web server and not backups.

The server got hacked. Web site went bye-bye. IT restored from their backups. Peachy, right?

Too bad they hadn't backed up the web site in the past six months (they were "supposed" to back up nightly).

My team had to scramble, everyone finding what pieces they had on their personal hard drives (and which pieces were current) and we were able to reconstruct the entire site within 24 hours.

After that incident, we had a full (and CURRENT) backup on one machine (our machine, not IT's) at all times.

Never ever ever trust your backups to someone else... "they" have (comparatively) very little to lose when your data is lost...

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, (re-reading thread), no, I don't download everything from the server -- it's already on my hard drive. Some people work directly on the server, however, and I was assuming that's why they were downloading.

I guess that's my point. I already have my entire site on my hard drive and whenever I make changes I do it on the HD first and then upload to the server. In fact, if I don't get a chance to upload tonight, there will be a newer version on my HD than on the server.

I guess I didn't explain that I download interactive content like accounts that are created by users.

These files contain information that changes by the minute.

I don't have control over the content of them.

Also if you are using php&mysql or some sorta database, download your DB regulary, dump it to your hdd [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] phpmyadmin has a nice feautre about it and i just LOVE it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Backup every file weekly and then if you have a CDRW drive burn and desk drawer copy since most hosting companies cannot or will not restore individual domains..they back up the whole server content in case of a system crash.

If you own hard drive fails your offline copy then can be restored to the new hard drive. If your hosting company's drive fails and you don't have a backup you often find out too late that they didn't backup like they promised in the hyped sales speel.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread