Google Subscribed Links
    Google found a new way to help webmasters provide additional value for their existing user bases. It's called Google Subscribed Links, and it looks like a very useful tool. Here is the main page:

http://www.google.com/coop

But it's a little unclear from there. The development guide is much more informative and offers a better explanation of what it really does:

http://www.google.com/coop/docs/guid...bed_links.html

Basically what you can do is create an XML document on your server that contains your data and search queries. Then you promote this document and get Google visitors to subscribe to your site. After they're subscribed and they search Google for any of the queries in your XML document it'll appear above the search results. Think of it like a free AdWords campaign where you offer subscriptions.

This is very interesting and can have some very practical uses. It's a little like a widget for Google. You can pick and choose who to subscribe to and your search results will be personalized to the sites you've subscribed to.

In order to implement this properly you'll probably need to auto-generate your XML document. I'm not sure how big it can be, but I imagine it would need to be rather large to encompass most of the queries our sites can accomodate. The API can be a little complicated, but their instructions are very clear and after reading them I believe I can implement it with ease.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on and implement if you have the resources and an existing audience to subscribe.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Looks interesting.

I've already done some stuff with Google base and had a little success with that..another thing to try...oy yoy.

(my brother is moving out to san diego next week Scott...dunno if you ever got in touch w/him)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    (my brother is moving out to san diego next week Scott...dunno if you ever got in touch w/him)
    Yup I got in touch with him and he was very helpful, Thank you suzi!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread