AE on dedicated or shared host?
    About a year ago, I switched to my own dedicated server. It works great...but it's not cheap, and I want to control expenses.

(The reason I switched to dedicated was because a shared host shut me down when AE started using too much CPU and memory.)

I'm thinking about trying a move back down to shared - but thought I'd ask whether any seriously busy sites out there using AE are running on shared. I dunno, maybe with greater capacities out there, the restrictions are not as tight.

Alternatively, I could consider sharing space on my server - it's certainly set up for ae! - but don't know if there would be an interest.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

I see that lots of people have read this thread, but so far no replies. I'm curious which part has people interested but shy: the part about whether shared hosting can now handle a serious AE site (when it couldn't a year ago), or the part about sharing space on my dedicated.

Would there be interest in a hosting service that specialized in setting up AE (i.e. knows how to do it and won't get in a tizzy when it starts cooking)? It's not my current business model, but if there's demand out there, I could set it up.

Just a guess...
    Dr. Mike.

Just an FYI, a lot of us out here are interested in running AE but hear that it requires a dedicated server. Thus, I read the thread to see if something had changed or whatever. I'm interest in AE but dedicated server costs are prohibitive at this time.

That kind of thought may explain why people are reading but no replies. We were looking for info & don't have your answer.

Rex

Thanks, Rex. I imagine you may well be expressing what others are thinking.

So, would-be (and current?) AE users out there, would you be interested in shared hosting that specializes in AE sites? (That is, sharing space on a server that I set up.) What pricing would you be willing to pay monthly for this - with the knowledge that AE *will* work, and that you won't get shut down when Google or another search engine crawls your site?

For that matter, would you be willing to pay extra to have an expert set AE up for you, turnkey style? Imagine having someone (me) do all that behind-the-scenes stuff for a flat fee. What fee would be worth it to you to have such a service?

As I said, if there's an interest, I could set it up.

AE on shared host?
    Well, I haven't heard from anyone wanting space on my dedicated, or for me to set them up. So let me get back to my original question: does anyone have good experience running AE on *shared* hosting?

As I wrote before, the last time I used shared hosting, a year and a half ago, I got shut down for hogging the CPU.

Thanks.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread