Transferring CJ accounts ... under new management!
    I run or did run a website with another person. He managed the money, and I did the programming. So the deal is, this person hasn't paid me correctly TWICE, so I fired him. Now, I have access to the account, but is there any way that I can get the account in my name. After all, it's my website, which I own the domain, the hosting, all the code, and as per our agreement 98% of everything the site has made. If I can prove that, what will CJ do?

I was wondering for those of you out there who know CJ well ... Will this work? I mean, will they transfer an account into different hands when management changes? If not, I'm out several thousands, and my lazy and incompetent associate will be a very happy man.

Internet Cowboy
    Change the payment to go to your bank account. After that, create a new CJ account in your own name and change out the links. Changing out the links can be a huge job but it can also be done with search and replace, making it much easier.

But wait ... wouldn't he still be in control of the CJ account for that site, and couldn't he change the bank account back to his? Elaborate please.

(Also wouldn't I have to go through the approval process for affiliates again?)

Seems I've gotten into a predicament. Reassure me that CJ isn't going to award my money to my ungrateful associate.

First off, change the password and email associated with the account. Then send a message to CJ.com's Ask A Question. Just login to the account and click on the Contact Us link. They should be able to aswer all your questions on this, perhaps making it easier than signing up for a new account and doing the whole search and replace thing.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

I'd like to hear from someone from CJ. I know they browse these forums. Please help.

If I don't get any official advice, I'm probably going to do what the above poster said and hope that CJ doesn't protest.

I doubt you will get official advice here on the forum. Best option is to contact CJ
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Tax Paying Member
    Rule #1.............Never....Never... get involved in a partnership when money is on the table.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger1
    I run or did run a website with another person. He managed the money, and I did the programming. So the deal is, this person hasn't paid me correctly TWICE, so I fired him.
    i think there are many other things that you're not telling.

just by reading the above quote makes me wonder who's hiring whom?

one possible scenario is the person hired you to do the site and now you're trying to lock him out of it. perhaps, you suddenly decided that you should be getting more of the money pie and he wouldn't budge.

cj pays to whoever person is currently on the record. if your so-called associate was the payee for a long time, and you suddenly changed the account info, and your associate protests, i think the onus is on your part to prove to cj that the account is rightfully yours. otherwise, your associate is in a better position to claim ownership of the cj account.
    Last edited by waytogo; May 15th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    i think there are many other things that you're not telling.

just by reading the above quote makes me wonder who's hiring whom?

one possible scenario is the person hired you to do the site and now you're trying to lock him out of it. perhaps, you suddenly decided that you should be getting more of the money pie and he wouldn't budge.

cj pays to whoever person is currently on the record. if your so-called associate was the payee for a long time, and you suddenly changed the account info, and your associate protests, i think the onus is on your part to prove to cj that the account is rightfully yours. otherwise, your associate is in a better position to claim ownership of the cj account.
    Well, I can prove that I own the site, the hosting, the domain, the code, and everything else associated with this site. He was only in control of the CJ account. What does that say? I don't see how more "proof" could ever exist. He was only in charge of payroll. There are other people involved in advertisement campaigns and forum moderation, but the payroll guy has payed none of us. Instead of 2% like we agreed upon, he's getting 100%!!

We had a 50/50 management agreement also (as in, SQL cleanup, code fixing), but he hasn't really done anything, so I don't consider him anything more than a former payroll guy and I broke the agreement. Unfortunately, the money was already made, and he hadn't even been online for days and days afterwards. I'm not going to let him sit back as I manage and protect the site and receive a fat deposit straight into his bank account.

I changed the information and sent CJ a question explaining the situation. I'm not trying to cheat anyone in this case. I'm trying to avoid being cheated!

Let's put it this way: The site will go under and some ******* will get thousands for doing nothing. CJ has more sense than that, right?

As others said - contact CJ directly as they won't answer this type of question here.

Hire people to do code, advertise, create content or whatever but in this business you NEVER hire anyone to handle the money for you.

If you have a legal business, the money should go there then you divide (pay people) it as you see fit. When money goes direct to a person, make sure you're that person if you're the one doing the hiring people to do tasks.

There's no reason for the site to go under. Worst case...get a new cj account and change out your links.

ABW Ambassador
    why would a check be payable directly to a payroll guy? that doesn't make any sense. unless he has a greater role than that.

a check is either payable to the company or to the owner of the company.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger1
    Well, I can prove that I own the site, the hosting, the domain, the code, and everything else associated with this site. He was only in control of the CJ account. What does that say?
    they only prove that you registered the domain and did the codes, which are not that unusual if somebody hired you to do them.

the real clincher there is, who controls the cj account? because usually that is the owner.

ABW Ambassador
    Just call them tomorrow:

http://www.cj.com/about/contact.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Rule #1.............Never....Never... get involved in a partnership when money is on the table.
    Okay then, guess you aren't an affiliate...

You guys remember that thread about splitting CJ money and a bunch of people jumped in with "simple fixes", ignoring some of us saying to get a legal partnership formed.

here is why.

Every partner agreement should be written like you are worst enemies. Everything should be covered and nothing assumed.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    i doubt that he'll get anything much from cj.

he's trying to get cj to become an arbiter in their own dispute. i don't think cj will bite.

i think cj's options are
    1. continue to pay whoever is on record at cutoff time.
    2. freeze payment of the account until their dispute is resolved among those people, either amicably or by whatever legal means.

but becoming involved in something that it is not part of is unnecessary for cj.

[QUOTE
    Every partner agreement should be written like you are worst enemies. Everything should be covered and nothing assumed.

Chet[/QUOTE]

Can't say that one enough. Been there, done that.

You don't stand a chance if you can't log in to that cj account. CJ would be in big time legal trouble to allow you to log in and change the information.

Open your own account and start over.

the big question is who is the account holder you or your former partner? Who's tax info was input?

If you're the master account delete his information via the account tab. If he set everything up, CJ has the non-transferable affiliate agreement with your ex-partner not you. As such you'll have to deal with it outside of CJ and as Chet said if you have no legal agreement with your partner, "You don't stand a chance" .

You said that they failed to pay you correctly, leading me to think that they are in control of the account.

your only hope is to contact CJ, but they only have the relationship with the master account holder....no one else

I've had some trouble in the past with lamos who were unable to make money on their own after a split and came back to haunt me. id suggest opening an other account and switching stuff out asap.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread