What criteria do you find important when selecting...
    merchants through CJ?

I know this may be a complicated question, but I wonder whether some of you go simply off of EPC, or age of merchant, or word-of-mouth, etc.

Hope that's not too intrusive. Being somewhat new, my main criteria are EPC and whether I know the company or market.

What about you?

I also come here, too, and do a search for the merchant I'm thinking of promoting. That's steered me clear of a few merchants that I might have otherwise signed up with.

My biggest determining factor is the types of products and datafeed quality. If the merchant fits my niche and they've got a quality datafeed, I'll give them a shot. Unfortunately I've run out of merchants though. I'm going to need to start moving into foreign markets just to be able to add more datafeeds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

My most important criteria is whether or not the merchant offers specific product picture links. If the merchant only offers links (.i.e. banner & text) I won't sign up. I want to type into CJ's search tool and come up with a product I can write about and link to.

I don't give much thought to EPC. At one point I was making lots of money with one merchant who had a "lower EPC" but I knew that I was making money with this merchant

I look at the merchant's site. Does the merchant sell quality products that will fit into my site(s)? If so, I will give the merchant a try.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

For me, I look more at how well the merchant fits with my site, whether they run coupons and promotions, how well known the merchant is, who manages their program, and how well I would expect their site to convert (based on streamlined checkout processes, leaks, parasites, shipping prices, product prices, sales, reputation, etc.). I'll look at EPC, but it isn't a big factor to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    leaks, parasites,
    I understand what a parasite is, but what is a leak in terms of the affiliate business?
    (Please don't tell me it's a vegetable, I know that leeks make excellent soup )

How would one find out about leaks and parasites besides reading the forums here? (I already read & participate in the sub-forums )
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Leaks are anything that customers can do on the merchant's site that you don't get paid for. If the merchant has AdSense, links to other merchant's affiliate programs, link exchanges, links to other sites, excessive ads, etc., those are leaks. If a customer clicks through your link, then gets diverted due to one of those leaks, the merchant gets the benefit of your traffic but you don't earn anything for it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael, thank you for your clear explanation.

What about sites that have "Live Hit The Button Chat"
    (you know what I mean)?

The affiliate provided the merchant with traffic but the "Talk to the sexy order clerk button" might divert the sales to a telephone sale. Is this situation considered to be a leak?

More and more affiliate merchants across various networks have that "Live Help/Chat Button" where the big sales will only be a phone call away.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions/advice. Looks like merchant quality and reliability is the most important factor for you guys.

Even though I try to look at the EPC of a merchant that I'd like to work with, I've realized that it doesn't often really reflect what your true earnings will be. I have one I'm working with now with an 3-month EPC of like $30, but I'm making much more than that. Not quite sure why that is yet.

Snib, sounds like you work exclusively for the datafeeds. How exactly do you go about promoting your sites once they're created? PPC? Natural? Just curious.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Snib, sounds like you work exclusively for the datafeeds. How exactly do you go about promoting your sites once they're created? PPC? Natural? Just curious.
    Not exclusively. I also post coupons and deals. I have a well established website so a lot of my traffic comes from natural search placement. I'm working hard to build a solid userbase so I can rely less and less on the natural SERP traffic. I don't put much emphasis on PPC as it takes too much of my time. I'd rather spend time developing and enhancing my site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    If I need a product or category for a website then I usually just sign up with all the merchants offering the service. For example if I was looking for a web hosting merchant then I would sign up with all the available merchants offering that service. Things I consider when generally deciding are brand, commission, datafeed unavailable, coupon and promotion integration with 3rd party services, links currently offered (preference for text links opposed to banners etc).
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Good info. Thanks guys.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I am new so I just signed up for everybody who would have me (with a few criteria to match my niche ie no gambling and only one christian dating site.) at first however after only a few weeks I have seen how I needed to be a little bit choosier already. My second site is under design and I will be a little bit more finicky this time.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Leaks are anything that customers can do on the merchant's site that you don't get paid for.
    i'm aware that the weekly ads section of many online stores are being provided and hosted by a separate company. do we get paid when visitors buy from those sections?

not only do merchants have links to them from their sites but the merchants also provide an affiliate link for us to post on our websites leading to those sections. is this a leak?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread