Affiliate Network Rep
    Altrec is now PARASITE FREE
    Hello Friends,

We wanted to update everyone on our relationship with Altrec.com Outdoors. As you all know, Altrec has been parasite-free in AvantLink since we launched their program a couple of months ago. However, they were still working with a few known parasites elsewhere and ABWers were rightly concerned with this.

Well, today we're excited to announce that Altrec.com Outdoors is now PARASITE FREE across the board...not only in the AvantLink network!

I hope this shows everyone their commitment to Affiliates and willingness to take the high road to a successful program. You already know this site converts, so now there's nothing that should stop you from jumping in head first.

We're proud of their decision, and ABWers should know that their informed criticism played a huge part in cleaning house at Altrec.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Altrec's AM Greg Toledo gregt[at]altrec.com.

Apply to AvantLink and Altrec, and start promoting the best outdoor gear and apparel brands on the planet!

Sincerely,

Paul from AvantLink

What is parasite-free? Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by iowaink
    What is parasite-free? Sorry...
    Have you tried the search function here? It is your friend, it will give you tons of information. There is also a whole section here on Parasites and what they are.

Welcome to ABW, iowaink, it takes a while to learn your way around the forum as you've probably noticed. Flamingoworld is right about using the search but the topic of Parasites may be overwhelming in its volume so a simple explanation is that parasites are people who join into affiliate programs and use various software/spyware/adware/bho applications to overwrite cookies and redirect browsers so that those affiliates can take commissions that rightfully belong to other affiliates. Merchants who are lax in policing their programs or who don't know or don't care allow these types of affiliates to get in and pretty much ruin things for others. This is a very simplistic explanation and is not definitive by any means, there are all kinds of parasites using many means to accomplish the same thing.
    Now feel free to use the search and find out much more.

Question
    Yes I was reading up on this term and it was rather confusing. I think I understand the concept however. I think this may be happening with our ShareaSale account. 70% of the orders we get from the shareasale affiliate program are converting customers from our database already. Some customers are 3-5 years old. This isn't happening as much now that I make sure people are not PPC bidding on our company name. However it still happens and it makes me wonder if these affiliates are even referring these customers at all.

I also thought it may be a problem with our confirmation code. I had shareasale look at it and they said it was fine.

So I'm still a little confused about the whole situation.

Bradley

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    SAS doesn't allow software affiliates by policy and they have active systems and third parties policing for violators. So now and then someone may sneak in, but they get busted and tossed fairly quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about parasitic behavior if your aff program is exclusively at SAS.

You dug through the data earlier and figured out how the domain name ppc bidding wasn't helping you - just keep digging to see what other no-value / low-value cases may be impacting your percentage of returning customers. There can be cases you want to eliminate (like the ppc on your domain name) but there also may be some cases you don't (perhaps you find an affiliate referred someone, they became a customer, and you're noticing that they were referred again now, but it's that same affiliate referring them again - maybe you've got an affiliate with a captive audience bringing you customers over and over again).

You gotta dig into the cases and generally know what your top producers are doing to bring you orders.

You mentioned you were at SAS, this is the Avantlink forum - Avantlink is another network whose ethics I agree with and admire. Keep that in mind, the people you choose to partner with go a long way towards deciding how you are viewed and to what extent you get leveraged (in a bad way). SAS and Avantlink are the two best choices you can make, in my opinion.

By the way, a good OPM can help you identify all of these issues and guide you as to how to best deal with them. You might also network more with your peers who manage aff programs and may be able to chat with them in the managers forums.

Good luck to you!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread