Stealth Advertiser
    I just noticed some unusual sites in my referer stats and found that none of them were linking to my site.

The main culprit seems to be Stealth Advertiser http://www.stealthadvertiser.com/ , which apparently breaks into your log-files and adds their link as a reffering site. Upon investigating their site the sales pitch says that search engines can read the log file and give the site credit in it's rankings. Stealth advertiser targets high ranked websites with it's auto-submitter software and allows someone to add their own links into the log files at thousands of targeted sites. They target keywords or URLs.

I'm wondering if this can this affect SE rankings? I don't think the SE's read the log files. Is anyone else being targeted or know how the heck they can access your server logs?
    ~Ernie

They aren't really breaking in-- they are sending a bot to your site and in that bot's profile is the referrer of "stealthadvertiser.com" It is pretending to be a visitor referred by that site... there really was no visitor and there was no insecure log access. Jerks like that send their bots around to get webmasters to visit their site because they see it in the referral log.

There also used to be an old trick where when people published their website stats, they would often publish their top referrers.. and by publish I mean they would post them publically. So if you post your stats in public via a link from your site, and in the top referrers are some crap spammer site, they may get a link from it, unbeknownst to you. I'm sure the major SE's devalue those sort of referral log spam links... that was popular in like 2000

Yea, I thought it was harmless. But, I blocked their IP just for the heck of it.
    ~Ernie

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    I just noticed some unusual sites in my referer stats and found that none of them were linking to my site.

apparently breaks into your log-files and adds their link as a reffering site. Upon investigating their site the sales pitch says that search engines can read the log file and give the site credit in it's rankings. Stealth advertiser targets high ranked websites with it's auto-submitter software and allows someone to add their own links into the log files at thousands of targeted sites. They target keywords or URLs.
    Aha - so that's what all those crazy referrer URLS are I see and wonder about. Sick stuff ... I sure wish people would put in a day's work like the rest of us instead of trying to scam their way into the fray. I delete my logs daily so hopefully, they get no action from bombarding my stats like that. jerks ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Here are a few tidbits from their site:

"...The StealthAdvertiser Is Posting Your Advertisements Directly Into The Log Files of Any Other Site It Comes In Contact With. The Log Files Are The Single Most Watched Pages On Any Serious Web Masters Site!"

Just trying to get webmasters to click their link when checking stats.

"...StealthAdvertiser will give you dramatically positive results and fast. You should see your search engine position rising after your url gets spidered next by the search engines."

What a crock of crapola.

Here's their take on defining spam:

"Is This Spamming? anyone can call anything spamming. And when you nail a top search engine position for keywords in days or weeks, that other people have spent years of their lives and countless thousands of dollars to get, you can bet that they will accuse you of anything and everything under the sun to take you down, and it doesn't matter what tools you are using."

ROTFLMAO!
    ~Ernie

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Here are a few tidbits from their site:

"...The StealthAdvertiser Is Posting Your Advertisements Directly Into The Log Files of Any Other Site It Comes In Contact With. The Log Files Are The Single Most Watched Pages On Any Serious Web Masters Site!"

Just trying to get webmasters to click their link when checking stats.

"...StealthAdvertiser will give you dramatically positive results and fast. You should see your search engine position rising after your url gets spidered next by the search engines."

What a crock of crapola.

Here's their take on defining spam:

"Is This Spamming? anyone can call anything spamming. And when you nail a top search engine position for keywords in days or weeks, that other people have spent years of their lives and countless thousands of dollars to get, you can bet that they will accuse you of anything and everything under the sun to take you down, and it doesn't matter what tools you are using."

ROTFLMAO!
    OH MY LORD ... it's easy to justify anything as long as they're getting paid.
    UNREAL!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread