Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's with all the lurkers?
    Way back when (a year ago) the number of registered users signed in and viewing the CJ forum outnumbered the guests. Looking at it right now (and lately) it's about 25 users and 125 guests at any given time. Why are you lurkers not registered and contributing to the forum, even if to just add some banter to the mix?

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I do not know about others but a few weeks ago when I first came on I asked a lot of quesitions and was told. Read x thread or see this thread so Now I have been reading more and posting less.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Much of the news and affiliate blogs lately quote posts at ABW. Things are changing and many blackhat marketers are looking into what works without imposing stiff legal penalities or SERP spamming techniques. So they lurk

Another thing might be some powerful Ad industry folks releasing studies that show affiliate industry major merchnat downsizing moves restricting their programs to those who actually add-value to their brands. http://www.sherpastore.com/samples/E...k_Exec_Sum.pdf
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Could also be a bit intimidating..

I think some people don't want to risk being burned at the stake for asking the wrong questions...

As far as I can remember, the lurkers have always outnumbered registered members by a large margin. And the active posters have always been a small percent of the registered members. That's just the way most message boards are.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Probably testing the waters to see if they want to get their toes wet, that's what I did when I was checking out Affiliate Marketing... I needed to make sure it wasn't just another internet scam.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Cool
    I announced this observation about this time last summer: school's out and the codekiddies are looking at how to supplement their allowances.

I hope they do log in and join in the conversations as they improve their sites. I'm sure some of them have real input for our benefit, also . . .

I reckon they're attracted by the "How to make a million by doing nothing" threads.

By the way, I've just had a great new shipment of snake-oil, if you buy $100 worth, I'll throw in a couple of FREE ebooks on how to be a success while sitting on the beach.

Where do I sign???

I deleted my cookies the other day, so I was on as a lurker until just now..

Search engines will show up as guests too. Each search engine has multiple spiders indexing the forums at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Could also be a bit intimidating..

I think some people don't want to risk being burned at the stake for asking the wrong questions...
    That's the wonderful thing about the Internet... you can ask stuff that some people thumb their noses at but who cares! This is the net :-) That little X in the upper right hand corner of the page will make impatience and arrogance vanish in seconds. I try not to take any of it personally. I used to...and I missed out on becoming part of some great communities. Don't assume because you're "new" to this site that you were just born. You have stuff to contribute, questions others want to ask and are to shy or whatever and opinions based on your experience that have merit. If someone does something that is way off base the site monitors will let them know. If someone is rude to me I just ignore their posts unless I think there is something I can learn. Enjoy the experience. There is a ton of helpful info and people who log in on here.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I read about 25 forums pretty regularly (most once a week). I'm registered at 5. So I'm a lurker elsewhere.

I always say, if you don't have something intelligent to say, dont say it.

A better question would be, how many of those folks who registered in the last 30 calendar days spammed and were banned in under 5 posts?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I reckon they're attracted by the "How to make a million by doing nothing" threads.
    Yes, that's pretty close to the one that got me.

Lurkers = potential contributers

A good percentage of these 'lurkers' are peole who are absorbing everything.
    They are waiting for the right time to interject. They typically do have something to contribute but they are waiting until they have something 'substancial', in their opinion, that will have some meaning. When one of these 'lurkers' DOES decide to interject, I find that their interjections can some times be very imformative. I encourage all lurkers to keep "lurking" in order to learn... and then contribute when they are "comfortable" with contributing. Do it at your own pace, don't be discouraged and don't worry what other people 'think'.
    Just my own 2 cents. We do appreciate EVERYONES imput...
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

The answer to this friend has already been answered in the 80s by the Heavy Metal Band - ACCEPT.

and I quote:

"Too many slaves in this world
    Die by torture and pain
    Too many people do not see
    They're killing themselves - going insane

Too many people do not know
    Bondage is over the human race
    They believe slaves always lose
    And this fear keeps them down"

The reason is that they are either too vain to humble themselves to ask any questions....

or

They are lamers looking just to skank intell without making any contrabution.....

or

Their understanding of the concept of affiliate marketing is above ours and we are mere novices...lol.

I really can't think of another reason.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    I really can't think of another reason.
    tried to tell ya . . . school is out and their attention turns to their sites and how to make a buck from them

be nice if they'd share the good stuff

LOL! I guess some can't see the forest because of all the trees.

This is not a 'newbie friendly' board.

Not neccesarily a bad thing. Look at DP. It is very 'newbie friendly' but you have to wade through a lot of garbage to find any good tidbits.

ABW forums have their place on the web and no one does it better.

Lurk and learn
    B

Quote Originally Posted by brent

This is not a 'newbie friendly' board.

I don't really understand how that is a true statement. Newbies can't expect to be coddled and spoon-fed money-making secrets (as so many request), but people here seem more than happy to answer basic questions related to things that cannot be found easily in the CJ help guides.

Sounds to me like you understand perfectly. You said it better than I did though.

B

Exclamation
    arrrr, but there still be sharks in these waters . . .

I think it's newby friendly except when they come to spam, then it's a different story... Watch out!

I knew Onandaga Lake was in trouble Herb, but I didn't expect sharks....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'll go out on a limb and speak as a semi-lurking newbie non-student.

I stumbled across this board when I did a Google search for how to do subaffiliate tracking in Performics. I got sucked into the rest of the discussions as well. Over the last few weeks, I have been trying to get a feel for the personalities on the board as well as what kinds of things everyone has already hashed around ad nauseum.

I'll be increasing my posts more as I start to feel more comfortable at affiliate marketing. I'm always so worried that I am breaking rules or in violation of policies. I have two strikes against me for some of you (I'm an attorney by trade and one of my sites is a loyalty program)! But hopefully everyone can get past those things. LOL!

Tricia

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I knew Onandaga Lake was in trouble Herb, but I didn't expect sharks....
    yup . . . and zebra mussels, too.

hope they like Solvay Process waste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast