Question What do you do to make your datafeed sites unique?
    Hi guys, I have another question (surprise!):

I'm in the process of working with some datafeeds (more for experience and testing than anything else), and was wondering what some of you do to make sure your site is as unique as possible?

Do you take the original datafeed and modify it somehow? Do you merge a couple of different datafeeds?

I'm going to be building a few sites soon, but want to make sure that it's unique enough to be listed in the SE's.

Your thoughts and opinions would be great!

By the way, I did read the post for building unique bulletproof-datafeed sites.

Thanks!

Add value to your site. Make it stick out. It may either be content, news, unusual stuff (that draws attention), etc, etc... Make it a FUN SHOPPING. Then they will buy from you.

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

I send my datafeeds through various cleaning and processing mechanisms on my server. The real value I provide comes from the variety and organization of the data. I try to combine as many feeds as possible into a single useful tool. Keeping everything organized and navigable is really the most difficult and most necessary aspect to datafeed use. If only spiders can browse your products you won't become a shopping destination for human shoppers. An easy to use search with accurate results and helpful purchase and decision making information is key. I love the new Yahoo Tech as it's the perfect example of proper datafeed use. The datafeeds are the bottom line. They bring you the direct sales and the conversions, but everything you do to bring users to that buying decision is what's going to really make you succeed.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys!

That's two routes I'll probably take. The content should be fairly easy, while the data manipulation won't. No experience there. Gotta start somewhere I guess!

Thanks again.

Oh, any special tools out there that'll merge datafeeds? I'm guessing there isn't just b/c of complexity?

Seperate the data feeds from your own logic/content. If you approach the use of data feeds as using them as maps to start your work from or references then you will do well. Using data feeds as they are is becoming less than tired, with so many good portals like yahoo tech why would anyone want to use bobs botched search portal.

Also my advice is to start small, do one category or subject exceedingly well rather than offer a huge amount very poorly.

Working hard with the data from 1000 records will earn you more money than a site with 4 million records of shite results.

Hope thats some help.

Regards

That's pretty much my plan; start with a few select categories and go from there. I can already see how annoying it can be! Someone should've set standards a longg time ago (whether they're followed is another story).

Thanks for the advice!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I send my datafeeds through various cleaning and processing mechanisms on my server.
    Are these components on the market? Or are they custom?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Are these components on the market? Or are they custom?
    Custom.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Include Related articles in Datafeed Sites
    I modified My php script datafeed html page generator to grab related articles from my article database. The outcome is a very nice looking datafeed site.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread