Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Internet Cowboy
    Leaving Florida...
    For 5 months we worry about hurricanes. For another 5 months we have fires.

At this moment, there is a 300 acre brush fire less than 2 miles from my house. That is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Last week while we were in Memphis, we heard of fires here on the radio.

I will be gone from Florida by the end of the year. I will buy a house in a state where the weather is less volatile, but first I think I will spend a year in the motorhome taking a peek at this fine country.

I will call it Scooter Tour '07 and it is coming to a city near you!

Talking
    Don't forget about being eaten by alligators in Florida.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    California!!! :-) Just gotta bolt everything down for totally RANDOM acts of nature ... and we get fires hre, too but where can you go where there is LIFE and NO disasters?

Let us know what the rest of the country looks like and where you lite, Unc! :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    For 5 months we worry about hurricanes. For another 5 months we have fires.

At this moment, there is a 300 acre brush fire less than 2 miles from my house. That is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Last week while we were in Memphis, we heard of fires here on the radio.

I will be gone from Florida by the end of the year. I will buy a house in a state where the weather is less volatile, but first I think I will spend a year in the motorhome taking a peek at this fine country.

Hope everything turns out ok, 2 miles is way too close for a brush fire.

Now the motorhome trip is something I could do. Maybe you should start a blog about your trip so we can follow along.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    I will spend a year in the motorhome taking a peek at this fine country.

Plan on motoring to Chicago on August 20, 2006
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I was figuring retiring in south florida but after this last week in Las Vegas I am leaning towards North Las Vegas.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I was figuring retiring in south florida but after this last week in Las Vegas I am leaning towards North Las Vegas.
    Vegas is a wonderful place to live - Lots of stuff to do, good weather and low taxes. The only frequent disasters are gambling fiascos.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

UncleScooter,

We would love to have you in Mississippi! Oh wait, did you say you didnt like natural disasters? Give us a few more months and you'll hardly know anything happened
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Tax Paying Member
    Uncle Scooter.............

Don't be in a hurry to settle down. I have been fortunate enough to take an occassional lengthy tour of the country. It is an absolutely fascinating place with seemingly endless things to see and do.

Once you do settle down, consider NC. Woops..........Hurricanes, tornados, ice storms, too many people............large fires are rare.................But it is a beautifull place .
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by David Carter
    UncleScooter,

We would love to have you in Mississippi! Oh wait, did you say you didnt like natural disasters? Give us a few more months and you'll hardly know anything happened
    We spent a night in Hattiesburg on the way home from East Texas last week. It looks like they are getting things back together. Still lots of road signs missing, like 98 East off of 49 South. Thank goodness for GPS!!

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Uncle Scooter.............

Don't be in a hurry to settle down. I have been fortunate enough to take an occassional lengthy tour of the country. It is an absolutely fascinating place with seemingly endless things to see and do.

Once you do settle down, consider NC. Woops..........Hurricanes, tornados, ice storms, too many people............large fires are rare.................But it is a beautifull place .
    NC is nice. We go to Raliegh fairly regularly. I am thinking Central Arkansas or Northeast Texas. Winters aren't too bad, summers are bearable and tornados are much worse further north.

I realize that every place has weather issues and nowhere is perfect. It is all about finding a place where the extremes are at a minimum.

We left Florida about 2 years ago to move to the Carolinas and I don't miss it one bit. I love the changing seasons and my kids love seeing snow. Since they were all born in the Orlando area, they didn't see snow until we moved up here.

I know that you'll find the perfect place - can't go wrong traveling around and seeing this great country of ours!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Las Vegas and New Orleans were always 3 day towns. After 3 days there you had to leave to get some sleep. Now Atlanta, Charlotte NC (Mountains not far away) or Raleigh (Pinehearst Golfing just down the road) are really nice. Oklahoma City, if you like really nice people.... and if your into snow then Bolder or Denver are great. Crank up thta Motor Home and check them all out.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We spent a night in Hattiesburg on the way home from East Texas last week. It looks like they are getting things back together. Still lots of road signs missing, like 98 East off of 49 South. Thank goodness for GPS!!
    Give me a call the next time your in town and I'll buy you dinner at our best restaurant. I still owe you a beverage if I recall properly. I will make sure you make it out of our metropolis unscathed
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Internet Cowboy
    Thanks bud. I thought about you. We rolled in about midnight, parked at Wal Mart, slept for 6 hours, woke up and hit the road, so it was a short visit to the metropolis.

ABW Ambassador
    Florida, lived there 13 years in Orlando until 2002, only had 1 storm that did any kind of damage, knocked down some trees, couldn't go to work for they were blocking the street exits out of my apt. complex. I think they had that freak year of storm after storm doing damage, usually central florida is pretty safe.

Where I live now, the biggest thing is tornados. Seems I'm always in the path and get barely missed each time. Same state went thru a tornado at my ex-gf dorm, some serious damage, scared the sh!t out of me.

Now I see some people from NC where I'm thinking of moving next year. Brother/wife and 2 nephews lives there, parents just moved there from orlando this month. Anybody from NC know of Cary NC? I here it's real nice there, going to visit soon.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Now I see some people from NC where I'm thinking of moving next year. Brother/wife and 2 nephews lives there, parents just moved there from orlando this month. Anybody from NC know of Cary NC? I here it's real nice there, going to visit soon.
    I lived in Raleigh for about 20 years.....about 6 blocks from Cary. Cary is upper middle income to high income bedroom community, very clean.

I now live in Chapel Hill.

The metro area is about 1.3 mil population, which includesRaleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hil. It has become one city in reality. Not a bad place to live...........Charlotte is a little more cosmopolitan.

We are on our way to winning a hockey championship.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

RTP rules, Witzer! Raleigh's the best. Move to NC, Scoot! I come there often. Will come see you some time then...

Geno

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Las Vegas and New Orleans were always 3 day towns... After 3 days there you had to leave to get some sleep
    Hey! I haven't slept in 8 years!!

If you can live without water - or anything green, like grass - Vegas is wonderful.

Even without slot machines, there is just so many entertainment choices.

Loxly was here the other day, and we saw Heart (Barracuda, Crazy for You) at Lake Las Vegas Resort. Set the blanket down on the (artificial) white sandy beach under the stars... floating stage on the lake... Jesse built sand castles... the dressing room was a yacht moored to the stage... georgous nite....

and...

since it's Vegas...

the extra perk of the stunning Bombay Saffire girls mingling

and to REX: we don't have LOW taxes, we have NO state income tax

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    RTP rules, Witzer! Raleigh's the best. Move to NC, Scoot! I come there often. Will come see you some time then...

Geno

Geno
    When in town, if you have time, I will buy you a Mint Julip.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    We left Florida about 2 years ago to move to the Carolinas and I don't miss it one bit. I love the changing seasons and my kids love seeing snow. Since they were all born in the Orlando area, they didn't see snow until we moved up here.

I know that you'll find the perfect place - can't go wrong traveling around and seeing this great country of ours!
    We are seriously looking into N.C. I have visited N.C., S.C. and TN and i have been considering buying property up there. As much as I love Florida, raised in Miami, the thought of 6 months of Hurricane threats are not pleasant. If the weather forecasters are right, they are predicting the cylce to intensify and continue for the next 10 - 12 years.

We are more than prepared, generator, shutters, fuel storage etc but the aftermath is what is a real PITA.

I would keep our home here and move to NC for 6 months of the year. The beauty of our buss is that where I have a view of the sky I can work .... either satellite or T1 lines.

What are some of the better places in NC with water access or close to water access?
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Geno
    When in town, if you have time, I will buy you a Mint Julip.
    Ok. I'll look you up, Witzer! Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    What are some of the better places in NC with water access or close to water access?
    The RTP (Research Triangle Park) area is great, Andy. Many lakes and not too far a drive to the ocean. Also, not too far a drive to the mountains...

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Just found this for Cary NC:

FROMMERíS NAMEs CARY best of the best among places to raise a family in 2006
    7th in the country

http://www.townofcary.org/news/news2...efamily-nr.htm

Look at all this too:
    "The award adds to Cary ís growing list of accolades, including being named one of the three "Hottest Towns in America " by Money Magazine in January 2004. For the seventh year in a row, Cary was in the top ten safest cities in the country by Morgan Quitno Press."

Safest, best place to raise a family, one of the hottest. Also cheaper compared to Orlando. Parents just sold their houses in Orlando and for the same price got more house/more land. So it also might be a good time to buy some property up there. Hmm, parents and bro are putting the pressure on for me to move there And the women there have Southern accents (think I might have some sort of thing for accents)

"The RTP (Research Triangle Park) area is great, "

Think brother works around there or mentioned it, not sure. Not too far from the ocean, they have mountains, seems like a great place.

The whole area of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is sweet. Cary is a part of it, and it is nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    The whole area of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is sweet. Cary is a part of it, and it is nice indeed.
    Affordable too: http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1055094139

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast