Question Personalising Articles
    If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

I was wondering for the article writers out there, do you personalise (Australian spelling) them? What I mean is do you keep everything generic for example:

"You could go to the weather channel to see what today's weather will be like."

Or do you do it like this:

"Before heading out, I always try to make sure I check out the weather channel."

From what I have seen of the article distribution sites (I am not getting my articles from there, rather I am writing them slowly myself), they are all very generic. I suppose that is because they are for wide distribution therefore personalisation isn't really that easy when the same thing is sitting on X amount of sites.

I realise the answer will be "do what you feel is best", I guess my concern / question is does it look unprofessional to have articles with I/me/we/us in them?

It certainly is easier for me to right an article personalising it to some degree, however, I would also have to then make then point in a disclaimer that the article is my own opinion and the reader should not substitute their own research and opinions for mine. Also that should anything happen or go wrong, that I am not responsible in any way as I am simply expressing my opinion and/or knowledge on a particular area.

That then brings up the next question I had, instead of starting a new thread on it, I'll add it here. Again for people that write articles, or know about them, how do you cover yourself from the possibility of someone saying your article led to them having computer issues, or credit card issues or whatever it is your article focuses on? Is a one off disclaimer enough or do you have to go into specifics on every article?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nmau
    If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

I was wondering for the article writers out there, do you personalise (Australian spelling) them? What I mean is do you keep everything generic for example:

"Before heading out, I always try to make sure I check out the weather channel."

From what I have seen of the article distribution sites (I am not getting my articles from there, rather I am writing them slowly myself), they are all very generic. I suppose that is because they are for wide distribution therefore personalisation isn't really that easy when the same thing is sitting on X amount of sites.

I realise the answer will be "do what you feel is best", I guess my concern / question is does it look unprofessional to have articles with I/me/we/us in them?

It certainly is easier for me to right an article personalising it to some degree, however, I would also have to then make then point in a disclaimer that the article is my own opinion and the reader should not substitute their own research and opinions for mine. Also that should anything happen or go wrong, that I am not responsible in any way as I am simply expressing my opinion and/or knowledge on a particular area.

That then brings up the next question I had, instead of starting a new thread on it, I'll add it here. Again for people that write articles, or know about them, how do you cover yourself from the possibility of someone saying your article led to them having computer issues, or credit card issues or whatever it is your article focuses on? Is a one off disclaimer enough or do you have to go into specifics on every article?
    nmau, when writing an article, it is always assumed it's you opinion so I wouldn't worry about a disclaimer.

My articles tend to be personalized but I write them initially for my newsletter or site and don't much think about "down the line" distribution to a mass market, although they end up in the mass market eventually. Doesn't seem to matter, they're widely reprinted and used so I'd say write 'em like you feel 'em and remember, when writing articles, having an opinion is a good thing.

I don't add disclaimers to my individual articles, just on my site, unless the article could potentially harm someone. I do have one site where I have to write a disclaimer on certain articles because people are as stupid as mud on some things. So instead of dealing with the wrath of Judge Judys out there, I make sure I add a disclaimer that this particular article is COMEDY and not intended to actually endorse what I'm writing. I STILL get pissed off shrews who feel they have to berate me for what I'm writing but that's part of the fun . I then post their moronic emails on the feedback page and my answer to them which is usually wicked and hilarious. Gives me more "content." ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Okay thanks. You don't worry about the possibility of being sued?

I'm not inteding to write articles for mass distribution. I just want to put some stuff up on my site that I hope will be of genuine interest and help to people, and maybe get some adsense clicks from them too. If people want to distribute them, I'd rather they linked to them or at the very least ask permission before doing so.

The ultimate aim though is not for mass publication - otherwise I would be submitting to the article sites instead of my own.

Okay thanks. You don't worry about the possibility of being sued?
    No, never thought about it but I can't imagine why anyone would try to sue me. I'm not "claiming" to be an expert on anything, just throwing my opinion around.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Isn't the fact you put an article up proclaiming to be an expert? Even an defacto one? I'm certainly not an expert but I can see why people would assume otherwise. The article on a web site tends to give legitimacy to it all for many many people. You know the saying "it must be true, it's on the web".

ABW Ambassador
    "You know the saying "it must be true, it's on the web"."

Who said that? You can have your opinion on stuff, it's America

It's not America here

ABW Ambassador
    Actually America is pretty sue happy.

I think a disclaimer on your site would do. I don't have a content site so much but I have a shopping site and have a Terms and Conditions section. There might have been about 2 or 3 problems I've had over the years with some shoppers and I just pointed them to that page and that was it.

So i think a one off disclaimer/terms of use page would do with maybe a link to it on the bottom of the pages. But I'm not an expert so take the information as just my non-suable opinion

Hmmmmmmmm ... I think an "sue-able" expert is someone with initials after his/her name ... as in PHD, MD, whatever. And "it must be true ... it's on the web" is a scary thought. The web is one of the last bastions of free speech there is and there are 12 year olds publishing their stuff without disclaimers that "hey man, I'm only 12 ... you can't sue me if I tell you to pour sugar in your gas tank cuz your car needs a sugar fix ..."
    I have a disclaimer on pages where I feel some things I believe might be CONSIDERED harmful so I make a disclaimer there but otherwise, I'm gonna say it depends on what you're writing about and if you're old enough to get sued. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Okay thank you for that. You also think that personalising articles is fine too? Doesn't look too personal?

That is great to hear!

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I personalize my daily devotions most of the time (I don't think I need a disclaimer on those LOL) Some of my articles are not personalized especially if they are for general use. (like the purity info)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

You also think that personalising articles is fine too? Doesn't look too personal?

That is great to hear!
    I think if someone is writing an article, it is already personal and people generally like "real life examples" so I don't think it hurts at all. Some of my most popular articles are very personalized using examples from my experiences so I wouldn't worry about it.

As an aside, I decided to add a disclaimer to all my pages. LOL - Guess it doesn't hurt. :-)

I used a simple "This site is intended for informational purposes only - Always consult a professional if you have concerns, etc." But I didn't add it to every article. Geesh - there's a certain level of paranoia I refuse to cross. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Maybe I'm just overly paranoid. I like to make sure I'm as covered as I can be. Especially when talking about things I know can and do go wrong for people. I'd hate to think someone read an article of mine about web hosting (for example), then went off and signed up with a web host only to have all their data lost in a hardware crash. They might consider my "advice" about web hosts in some way added to their problem.

I'll be adding an all encompassing disclaimer I think.

It certainly is easier for me to right an article personalising it to some degree, however, I would also have to then make then point in a disclaimer ...
    One problem with using "I" often is that "I" can become quite repetitive.

A general disclaimer is good.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread