Search engine question
    Hi All,
    I'm a little confused about something.
    If I go to Google and type in "dead cats for food" I will get a return of sites that actually have the exact phrase "dead cats for food" as a keyword, right?

But if I type 'dead cats for food' without the quotes would I not get results for every site that targeted the words "dead" "cats" and "food" as a keyword?

I am in sort of a quandry about this in selecting keywords and keyword phrases.

Help?!!
    Thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    With quotes, you'll get pages with that phrase in that order. I see you get 0 for that search. Seems to be a niche. Without, you'll get pages with those words anywhere on the page regardless of where they're located or in what order on that page.

Also, these things change month-to-month. Before (hmm I'd guess) Jagger, Google used to be more adept at phrasing the query. Right now, it seems having the words anywhere on the page is good enough; previously, having the words in close proximity to each other seemed more important.

ABW Ambassador
    If I go to Google and type in "dead cats for food" I will get a return of sites that actually have the exact phrase "dead cats for food" as a keyword, right?

But if I type 'dead cats for food' without the quotes would I not get results for every site that targeted the words "dead" "cats" and "food" as a keyword?
    Without the quotes, it's FINDALL mode, which is the default for most search engines. That'll bring up pages with "all" the words on the page, but they don't have to be in any particular order.

Using quotes for the search puts you into EXACT mode, so the query will deliver only pages with the all the words in that exact order.

Right now, it seems having the words anywhere on the page is good enough; previously, having the words in close proximity to each other seemed more important.
    There's also a difference depending on how competitive phrases are, and at one time it looked like pages that used over a certain number of repetitions of an exact match for a phrase seemed to get filtered.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread