Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4200 click-throughs 0 sales
    I wonder if something is going wrong with my Ads. I've generated 4200 click-throughs for various LinkShare partners (Overstock, Flower.com, Playboy etc.).

Sales until now: 0

Are 4200 click-throughs just not enough to generate more sales?

Please help. Thanks!

Over what period of time have you generated this number of clicks?

Also, do you use datafeeds or just creatives on your affiliate site(s)?

ABW Ambassador
    Check your links, are you modifying them in some way?

I've generated them within a month and I did't modify the links in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

Also, do you use datafeeds or just creatives on your affiliate site(s)?
    What do you mean by that?

ABW Ambassador
    I have lots of LS merchants and overall conversion % is over 5% so I would have had 210 sales with those clicks. So something is definitely wrong somewhere. How did you get 4200 clicks in your first month at LS? Free traffic from the SEs? PPC? Need more info.

It sounds like something may be wrong with your traffic. What is your traffic primarily looking to do? If their primary purpose for being on your site isn't to purchase something that's most likely your problem.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I have lots of LS merchants and overall conversion % is over 5% so I would have had 210 sales with those clicks. So something is definitely wrong somewhere. How did you get 4200 clicks in your first month at LS? Free traffic from the SEs? PPC? Need more info.
    I'm having 4000-8000 visitors per day on my site. It's not a shopping site or a site for product info - so people don't come to my site with the intention to buy something. Anyway - 4200 click throughs should lead to a least some sales right?

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like Adsense might be a better option. They don't come to your site with the intention of buying something but click, at least you'll make some money that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldi
    I'm having 4000-8000 visitors per day on my site. It's not a shopping site or a site for product info - so people don't come to my site with the intention to buy something. Anyway - 4200 click throughs should lead to a least some sales right?
    You'd be surprised. If they aren't visiting your site to make a purchase it's very unlikely they'll make a purchase on those clicks. You need to start creating product pages and start attracting new kinds of visitors. Another key point is your demographic. If most of your visitors are young or live in a foreign country they're either not going to have a credit card or be unable to purchase. I know this all too well because I also bring in a lot of non-shopping related traffic. They almost never buy anything through affiliate links. I do best with programs like AdSense or Yahoo Publisher.

- Scott

What do you mean by that?
    I meant: do they click products (pictures and description of which they see on your site) or banners?

See what Scott said above on the products pages.

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I wonder if something is going wrong with my Ads. I've generated 4200 click-throughs for various LinkShare partners (Overstock, Flower.com, Playboy etc.).

Sales until now: 0

Are 4200 click-throughs just not enough to generate more sales?

Please help. Thanks!
    Welcome to my world, Noldi. I, too, assume that out of thousands of clicks, SOMEONE should be buying SOMETHING but it just doesn't work out that way on a content driven site. frustrating as hell ... I know.

Get AdSense on your pages. You'll at least start to see financial gain for your hard-earned traffic. And also switch out merchants with others that have the same products. I found that doing this increased sales dramatically, especially with lame LS merchants. Unfortunately, the worst offenders seem to park at LS for whatever reason but you'll find lame merchants on all networks. It's a matter of switching them out to see which one starts to convert and some will. AS an example, I switched out a LS merchant I had been sending thousands of visitors with no sales and made 10 sales with a new merchant offering the same products in one day. Opened my eyes BIG time.

If you have the traffic, you'll make money. You just need to figure out what works on your pages and AdSense is perfect for content oriented sites.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I meant: do they click products (pictures and description of which they see on your site) or banners?
    I'm using banners.

(exception: 2-3 direct product links)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    It's a matter of switching them out to see which one starts to convert and some will. AS an example, I switched out a LS merchant I had been sending thousands of visitors with no sales and made 10 sales with a new merchant offering the same products in one day. Opened my eyes BIG time.

If you have the traffic, you'll make money. You just need to figure out what works on your pages and AdSense is perfect for content oriented sites.

Quote (TrustNo1): "I have lots of LS merchants and overall conversion % is over 5% so I would have had 210 sales with those clicks."

Could you please tell me the name of 1 or 2 LS merchants with which you're having regular sales? Maybe I should try one of those for a while to see if I can get ONE sale some day. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You'd be surprised. If they aren't visiting your site to make a purchase it's very unlikely they'll make a purchase on those clicks. You need to start creating product pages and start attracting new kinds of visitors. Another key point is your demographic. If most of your visitors are young or live in a foreign country they're either not going to have a credit card or be unable to purchase. I know this all too well because I also bring in a lot of non-shopping related traffic. They almost never buy anything through affiliate links. I do best with programs like AdSense or Yahoo Publisher.

- Scott
    AH HA!!!

That is why you are always pushing content!!

You aren't really making your money from selling merchant's products through affiliate links after all!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

AH HA!!!

You aren't really making your money from selling merchant's products through affiliate links after all!!!
    Does he push content? It seems to me Scott pushes value added websites...which could mean content or could mean one of those websites with all those bells and whistle thingies...

Back on topic -- is it possible that bots are inflating your click through rate?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Yes. It is my deffinate impression from reading his posts that he pushes content and has implied that you can do better as an affiliate with content than with sales sites. Now, he reveals that he does not make his money from affiliation with merchants but rather from adsense.

And, trust me that when you do a search for an item to buy and all you can find are the paid for listings and stupid content sites, the value sure ain't what you were looking for!

I have even put "buy" and "for sale" in the searches and all I get are stupid content sites. Some great value that is! I want more choices than the stupid paid listings. Thank you just the same!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Sorry Ssanf My experience has been different.

I've actually seen one of Scotts site in the top of the Google serps for TONS of product search terms (within a niche that one of my sites had a brief affair with). The site I've seen is a darn good sales site. I'd be surprised if he is not making some bank with it. It has no content on it but is an original way of presenting products and I can tell he has put a ton of time into it.

When he spouts off I'm sure it is from good experience and not just to spout off

Added: I'm sure he has more thean one site. Maybe the referance above to adsense and yahoo has to do with which contextual advertisers he does best with....just my impressions.
    Last edited by suzigeek; May 17th, 2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added more stuff
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    AH HA!!!

Content is my foundation. It's what gives my site a solid base and allows me to earn great search rankings. I'd say a good percentage of my income comes from contextual ads, but the bulk comes from my product pages. It's definitely possible to have non-sales pages and sales pages on the same site. In fact it works beautifully for me.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Yes. It is my deffinate impression from reading his posts that he pushes content and has implied that you can do better as an affiliate with content than with sales sites. Now, he reveals that he does not make his money from affiliation with merchants but rather from adsense.
    There are two different types of content. There's sales oriented content like buying guides, product reviews and product comparisons. And there's content that's got nothing to do with sales. Obviously sales oriented content is more lucrative and builds stickiness in a shopping environment. But non-sales content can be great to build a loyal audience, earn incoming links and build up search engine traffic to sales pages on the same site.

If you want my opinion on what will do best in terms of income, I believe it's a combination of sales oriented content combined with straight sales mechanisms. A wonderful new example is Yahoo Tech as it combines great sales oriented articles, stories, and reviews as well as a price comparison engine. This, to me, is the most profitable way to go about affiliate marketing.

- Scott

Yeah, I have a site or two with good traffic, but very very very low conversion numbers. Like Snib said earlier, if your traffic isn't targeted, and not there to buy, then it's likely they'll just pass on by (after reading your content).

Also, like someone said earlier, consider putting Adsense (or YPN if they let you in) on your sites. With that kind of traffic, you'll do well. There are plenty of ways to make a buck without having to resort to relying on affiliate sales.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    4,200 click throughs to the well known merchants you mentioned... something's wrong.

How are you determining there were 4200 click throughs to merchants?

MColey, if you're here... if I assume a 0.1% conversion rate (1 in 1,000 ratio -> 4.2 sales for 4,200 click on average), what is the probability that I'd have zero sales on this sample size?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, I have a smaller scale version of this going on over at one site of mine. Go with adsense (that's what I do). I do pretty well with the site through contextual ads.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Well the first thing you would need to know is what kind of traffic he is getting. For all I know it could be game cheat traffic or britney panty pics and they're going crazy clicking on the Playboy Store links or horny kids clicking on Overstock links to find out what the Big O is. So that would be step 1.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    How are you determining there were 4200 click throughs to merchants?
    Trust, exactly where I was heading with this... how are you counting them... how reliable is the counting... what is the source and method of tracking...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast