Google - A possible threat to CJ, LS etc?
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if Google could launch its own affiliate marketing "provider" like Commission Junction, LinkShare and others.

Do you consider such a move a posible strategy for Google, to broaden its web-marketing products?

I am considering launching a provider (outside the US), but these thoughts have really bothered me...

Cheers,
    Erik

While nothing is outside of the realm of possibility for G, they tend not to like non-value added affiliate sites, so it would surprise me if they head in that directon.

They also make so much on AdWords, that they may be of the opinion that they have that space covered.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They not beyond considering the CPA concept offered up by Bill Gross's IdeaLabs shown as a beta at www.snap.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hi Ecomcity,

yes, Snap has a very interesting business model, but in my understanding it represents a complement do the overall CPA business, but not a direct theat to affiliate program providers.

Snap complements the gap there was: when a buyer found the seller via search engine and bought a product, the search engine did not receive any commission, only CPC. Now, Snap, has also the very role of an affiliate, but not an affiliate program provider.

Why would Snap be a threat to CJ? CJ earns money because:
    a) Buyers click on ads at affiliate sites and buy products
    b) Sellers consider CJ a good way to interface with thousands of affiliates.

Snap does not invalidade any of these 2 conditions.

Cheers!
    Erik

ABW Ambassador
    Don't see a problem with competition.

Speaking of CJ, I received four emails from merchants leaving CJ and going to Linkshare. There has been a number merchants jumping the CJ ship,I wonder what is going on ?

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing new, there are merchants who are/were at LS, going to/have gone to CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    Google as affiliate network is just a variant on the Google as super-affiliate thing that gets mentioned every now and then. And frankly, if you have the most valuable traffic on the web, you're not going to give it away on the off-chance you will make a sale, maybe. It's not going to happen.

As for Snap.com - that's a domain that I haven't heard mentioned in, literally, years. Back in the day, when I started out as an SEO, Snap was a small but important player - they were, if memory serves, a directory that rivalled Go.com and Looksmart.com. I guess there is still a reasonable amount of traffic/links/stuff headed towards that domain which gives it some minor value as a domain.

One thing that you have to remember is all it would take is an email to all the adsense publishers that are already validated by them stating that they were starting an affiliate program.

They might move right to the top of my "Trusted third party list"
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    While nothing is outside of the realm of possibility for G, they tend not to like non-value added affiliate sites, so it would surprise me if they head in that directon.
    It wouldn't surprise me a bit. Their AdSense program is probably the biggest motivator of SE spammers! I think it's funny, too. It shows how hypocritical they are; if the spam makes *them* money, they don't seem to have too many complaints...

I hope they DO start an affiliate network. It'll give them a vested interest in making sure real affiliate sales-directed sites rank up, instead of these infernal hobby/amateur sites that are satisfied with chump change.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Exactly what Leader said, agree 100%
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

http and a telephoto
    I moved this to the Google forum since it isn't an introduction and didn't belong in the introductions forum
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread