Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Allposters.pl server resource frustrations - ideas please
    I have been using the Allposters script for over a year now. With the host I had I couldn't run the allposters.pl script on the server because there was not enough memory allocated to run it. So I had to run the script on my computer, zip up the folders in bunches, upload them to the server and unzip them there. This process took me a few days at the least.

So I decided to find a new host that could support the script. I shopped around and found midphase and sent them an email containing the script requirements prior to buying hosting and they reassured me their servers could handle it, so I bought a package.

So today I ran the script and only made it as far as humor and the script shut down. I went to check something in my cgi-bin and found I was locked out so I contacted customer service and they said that I can't run the script, that it is taking over 90% of the resources and crashing the server.

I asked if they would allow to run it if I set the script so that it only installed a few categories at a time instead of all categories and they don't seem to be going for it.

So, I would like to know if anyone knows of a host that CAN truly handle this script?

~Michelle
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Just an update.

They let me run the script again, one category at at time.

I ran the Museum Art category all alone and they cut me off again. They said that the script used approximately 0.5Gb of RAM and 90% of CPU.

Does this sound right for just one category?

I have been sitting watching the server load while doing NOTHING to my site and it hasn't dropped below 5.88 of 4 cpus. I have seen it go as high at 16.00 of 4 cpus.

I personally don't think it is 'just' this script causing the problem. I think something else is going on and the script running on top of it makes it look like it is the allposters.pl script.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Server stats that they can see (probably you can't) will tell them which process is using how much CPU and memory. They're probably not making it up. You could ask them for the stats; they do seem to be responsive to your previous requests.

For Allposters, I prefer to keep the load on my local pc, and then simply ftp as usual to my site. That way, there's little impact on the server (and customers).

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread