Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager
    Question for AM and / or Brian
    I have had this happen before over the years with SAS and AOL

I am running a program, Some one signed up and received the thank you for signing up email which then bounced>>>

The original message was received at Wed, 17 May 2006 07:47:33 -0400 (EDT)
    from outbound.shareasale.com [198.104.156.37]

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
    delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
    labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

--AOL Postmaster

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to air-yh03.mail.aol.com.:
    <<< 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
    550 ... User unknown

I have no idea which affiliate this is that applied as I do not get their email when they apply so ...

All I can do is accept the ones that applied knowing that one of them will not get their acceptance email so will not know he is in the program and I will get the returned mail again.

This has happend before and always happened with email address that were not to their websites. Hotmail, yahoo ( lots of AOL emails never get the SAS newsletter that I sent out..)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Hey Richard,

What i do is when an affiliate applies i send them a pending mail asking them about their plans and how they plan on promoting us. I get a copy of this mail sent to myself and when that happens i get their email address where i can then speak to them before enrolling them in my program.

I have not had a problem with mails bouncing and if they do i feel that its not worth it to have an affiliate who puts in a email add that is non functional.

Hope that helps a wee bit. Cheers!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    I have not had a problem with mails bouncing...
    I did. CF: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=72716

And I think it'd be in everyone's best interests to collaborate on this one (AMs with SaS).

Geno

Hey Richard,

What i do is when an affiliate applies i send them a pending mail asking them about their plans and how they plan on promoting us.
    Good grief, why? You don't expect them to answer, do you?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I do i do. It helps me make a decision. Some of them have no clue as to why they applied for the program. It helps me keep out parasites. It helps me work with the affiliate. I give them seven days to give me any sort of response so that i know that they are intrested in working with me.
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

I have a big fat suggestion. Leave the affiliates alone.

Your real problem isn't eliminating affiliates or "judging" the applicants. It is getting them to make time to put up your links in the first place. Just because they apply to your program is a very long way from getting them to actually display your products. You will be lucky to even get on their pages after they apply. All an application really means is that they saw something that they thought that they may someday want to use and they want to be approved and have you ready to go should the time come that they do want to use you. It DOES NOT mean that you have a hot to trot ready to do it affiliate. You got a nibble, not a bite when they apply. And, you certainly haven't landed the fish.

No one WANTS all that schmoozing unless they ask for it. Those who do are probably not the affiliates you want, anyway.

Darned if most affiliates are going to even read that e-mail, much less answer it. Just how I want to spend my time. Justifying to every AM who's program I apply to what I have in mind, when I am probably not even sure myself, if, when and how I may use their program. No way!

You don't need to do all this working with the affiliates if they are any good. You will only annoy the good ones and waste your time with the ones who have no potential. Trust me. The ones with potential will figure it out and probably already know more than you can tell them.

Give them seven days to answer, my ass. You are killing your program with high-handed foolishness! If you want to be a boss or someone's supervisor, this isn't the right business.

If you need help keeping parasites out, ask Andy or another experienced AM for assistance. Better yet, take Andy's course!

I admire your enthusiasm but I think someone has given you some really bad advise. Time to get some good advise.
    Last edited by SSanf; May 18th, 2006 at 08:18 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

It helps me keep out parasites.
    No, working with SAS helps you keep out parasites.

I would strongly echo Sandra's suggestion of attending Andy's seminar. You have tremendous zeal, but could use some guidance.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you SSanf you guys are really teaching me and i am learning from my mistakes! Im in India maybe in the future i will be able to attend andy's seminar and i will.

I do i do. It helps me make a decision. Some of them have no clue as to why they applied for the program. It helps me keep out parasites. It helps me work with the affiliate. I give them seven days to give me any sort of response so that i know that they are intrested in working with me.
    I have to agree!

Some of us sometimes don't have a clue of why we apply to some merchants.

Maybe it's because we thought that the commision looked good, the merchant was ethical, the merchant had no leaks, we saw others jumping to sign up because the merchant run a dateline promo, with extra bonuses for those that sign up within a few days of that promo, etc, etc.

So you're right, some of us don't have a clue of why we apply to some merchants sometimes, but the good part is that many of us don't repeat the same mistake again, once we get to know the merchant better.

Btw, I think that waiting seven days to get any sort of response, is four days too long. At this time and age that instant communications are available, unless there is a valid reason for the delay in replying to anyone anywhere in the world, I think that when someone don't get any response in 72hrs or less for some important question, it must be because either the one asking the question is not that important to the one with the answer, or because the one with the answer thinks that by ignoring the question, the one that asked the question will go away in silence.

Sal.

Example: I have been very, very interested in Cafe Press from the start. I am just NOW really ready to use them.

I have completely updated the main site that I want them on and I have saved a space for them which is already live, getting traffic and just waiting for them to replace dead merchants.

This was a huge project but now the ground work is done and as soon as I finish running the test feed today and revise it tomorrow (and maybe the next day), I will finally be able to generate the pages. My judgement was that I did not want to put them up prematurely and maybe turn off future CP customers because the site was in sorry shape. I want things to look GOOD when I bring people to see their merchandise because I have high hopes for their program.

So, how would it have been if they had gotten all high handed on me and dropped me? I think I have done the ground work for using them right. But, it had to be my call. A too ambitious AM would have blown it for me, themselves and the customers.

Now, I don't mind telling Loxy what I am up to because we have a long time ABW relationship. But, if it were a stranger, I would tell them to shove it.

(I hope this test feed I am making doesn't explode my computer!)
    Last edited by SSanf; May 18th, 2006 at 02:51 PM.

Dang! Thunder! I have to run it tomorrow!

Important to realize emails bounce or are sometimes otherwise lost. I think you are depriving yourself of some good affiliates by a policy of no response - get the boot. I use yahoo address for my business email, my website email is for customer contact, verizon for family & aol for friends. Over the many years I have been online all have experienced problems with email both incoming and outgoing at some point.

It would be nice if there was a way for us to be notified at sign in at our sas account that a merchant (s) is having trouble contacting us via email. Affiliates may not know there is a problem.

I will always respond to personal emails from merchants. I've even gotten a couple where the merchant wanted to know how I planned on using them. I answered and was approved. I like to read newsletters, I find them helpful & interesting. However- generic emails from a merchant that sound like a pre-recorded message though read will not have high priority for me to write a response.

As for signing up and then taking too long time to get links up. I sometimes run across a merchant whose products will fit one of my sites while working on something else or on another site. Excited by what the merchants offer I sometimes will apply right away rather than waiting. I usually plan on adding the merchant right away, within a couple days and I set myself a schedule for working but sometimes things happen. Another merchant will close or go offline and I will have to work to switch those links. Or perhaps I find out a merchant from another network is not working honestly with me and I feel it's important to pull those links. Perhaps I ran into a problem with the page I was working on and I need to finish that before starting with my newly found merchant. Seven days is certainly not very generous, I do not have employees to assign my work to. It may take me a little longer than desired to get links up but I will get there.

Just my 2 cents

Btw, I think that waiting seven days to get any sort of response, is four days too long. At this time and age that instant communications are available, unless there is a valid reason for the delay in replying to anyone anywhere in the world, I think that when someone don't get any response in 72hrs or less for some important question, it must be because either the one asking the question is not that important to the one with the answer, or because the one with the answer thinks that by ignoring the question, the one that asked the question will go away in silence.
    I think that this is a little harsh. On one hand, it's a very valid point. With all the instant communication available today, I try to take care of things as they come up, because they can quickly get overshadowed by other crap comin in. Example: today someone is spamming 3 of my blogs with automated comments. I have recieved over 100 notices to go moderate - it's a simple process, but who knows if I accidently deleted something in my mail while furiously dealing with it? If it's important and I don't answer - please try again tomorrow.

On the other hand, one of the things wrong with this world is we have come to expect instant communication. I have made some big sacrifices in our life so that now we can regularly disappear for a week or 10 days and spend it somewhere in a sailboat. Sometimes our massive collection of instant communication is waiting a dinghy ride away, with a long walk to the library and a wait in line for a slow computer just to make sure the family is all OK and handle "important stuff", which does not include pandering to the clueless.

Sorry. Rant over now.

Quote:

I think that this is a little harsh. On one hand, it's a very valid point. With all the instant communication available today, I try to take care of things as they come up, because they can quickly get overshadowed by other crap comin in. Example: today someone is spamming 3 of my blogs with automated comments. I have recieved over 100 notices to go moderate - it's a simple process, but who knows if I accidently deleted something in my mail while furiously dealing with it? If it's important and I don't answer - please try again tomorrow.
    That's why I said "unless there is a valid reason for the delay in replying to anyone anywhere in the world"

I know about deleting something important by accident, a couple of months ago I got a new domain name and they send my new account info to the inbox, but since I normally auto delete all the spam junk that I get at the inbox, I didn't noticed for a few days that I had deleted my new account info, so I had to ask for it again.

But I want to be clear in what is quoted that I said above, I will not give any examples here, but when you know for sure that your question is read by the intended party and that party don't reply in 72 hrs or less, you should know that something wrong is going on, maybe you don't count, or maybe they're afraid to give you a honest answer, who knows.

Guys;
    Thanks for all the reponses but your getting off base here. I am not asking about approving/declining affiliates, nor the time it takes to get links up as that has all been delt with before and elsewhere.

I want to know about Bad emails.

I just got another affiliate that applied and his "thanks for applying" email bounced

LUCKILY this one was not thru aol and he used his email that goes along with his url so it was no problem to see his sign up and then visit his site and find an alternative email and then sent him a note asking home about his application. He is not a new affiliates (by the low SAS number) so maybe he did not know that his email was bad.

BUT what do I do about AOL customers? For over a year when I worked with My Celtic every time I sent out a newsletter to aol affiliates it bounced ;-(

What Iwould like to see from SAS is that when an affiliate signs up for SAS the emai, is checked to amke sure it is valid, ( which I think they do)
    but then why do newsletter sand some aol emails bounce??

I just dont get why affiliates don't use an email with their url.. whats worng with the email affiliates@xxx.com then everytime soemone sends you a note to that email you know exaclty what its about. Very easy to keep track of what is about your merchants all in one place. Seems easy enough to me.

As far as writing every affiliate that signs up about his intentions I think that is taking things a bit far. That's like asking the guy that shows up the first time to pick up your daughter for a date. A bit much ..

How do you send them pending notes? You don't get their email when they sign up.
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; May 18th, 2006 at 10:10 PM. Reason: additions
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Richard, I use yahoo because the spammers totally distroyed any functionality to my domain e-mail. After trying to do filters, myself, I finally gave up and let the experts at yahoo do the filtering. One less thing for me to have to do.

Sure, I would have prefered my own domain e-mail. But, the long and short of it is that it just isn't worth the hassle.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I answer my e-mails when applying to programs right away. Why would I get it in my bonnet to look for a different merchant and go signup for someone new? Well I look over my hosting stats and review pages from a shoppers viewpoint. Wow Golfpage was great two months ago but now all the Overstock nice golf equipment displays go to a OS search error page... STUPID! GC can't cure that one either.

Then I see the navigation taxonomy was changes all over the place. I'm forced with Overstock to make individual product or category links using the advanced coding tool. Look over their site and find they have NOTTA to offer my savvy shoppers. So just like their lack of computer & related gear I'm seeing other changes to many pages. I can't showcase GigaGolf, as their a flash site running head long into IE7.0. Pinemeadow is custom made ...not brand clubs. Fogdog and Boscov's refuse to convert golf traffic due to crappy ecatlogs and Dept Store Golf gear.

Off the see if GoldenCan has some Golf merchant. named GolfGods.com I look over the site which is just OK ... nothing special but them have some good selections in all categories. I then checkout their GoldenCan storefornt. Broken image and product links all over their feed. No need to apply as they have few customer facing tools at CJ to craft landing pages like a PSC. No "make a page" feature like at SAS.

Rip out a few like OS from the Golf pages and move to computer, sports gear, jewelry and apparel. Apply on a nice ABWers tip to JewelryBasket. Check mail later that night and see acceptance e-mail. Take 3 Hours to place them strategically throughout the CyberMall. Revamp OS jewelry links, as they still lead that pack, and whack a few non-performers over last 12 months. I don't expect communication with the AM till after I book a few sales. Lot's of clicks and no sales then I whine to anyone who'll listen.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

awww, your missing so much by letting Yahoo run your life. I set up the new eudora 7 and love it. The first week they junked about 10% of valid email's but after i said they were not junk... easy street.

Folders and filters make the world of spam acceptable and almost bearable

BUT this doesn't help me with bounced email's to affiliates.

How do other AM"s handle this??
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Guys;

How do you send them pending notes? You don't get their email when they sign up.
    Click on your pending affiliate list. Click on contact. Hope you have a copy of the mail sent to yourself! Cheers!

So many different opinions now! :|

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    It would be nice if there was a way for us to be notified at sign in at our sas account that a merchant (s) is having trouble contacting us via email. Affiliates may not know there is a problem.
    That's exactly what I mean by a collaboration b/w AMs and SaS to at least take something out of every bounce-back, making this info useful for all us: merchants, affiliate and SaS alike.

Otherwise, it just reminds merchants the "Dead Souls" novel by N. Gogol, while affiliates "may not know there is a problem" (as per Mellie).

Geno

How do other AM"s handle this??
    Incoming spam or the bounced e-mails issue?

spam no trouble as handled by Eudora.
    bounced emails.

What good is going to pending and contacting the affiliate IF I am getting the "thanks for signing up" email bonuce??

I am not going to write each and every affiliate that signs up and ask him what he is going to do. I know what he is going to do.
    He signed up because he

Likes my product and wants to make money .

So... I will give him as much time as he needs to get the link up..

GENO;

maybe Brian can make a page on SAS for AM's. Here all am's could list there bounced email's for affiliates and then he could check them and advise..

Seems simple enough
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

GENO;

maybe Brian can make a page on SAS for AM's. Here all am's could list there bounced email's for affiliates and then he could check them and advise..

Seems simple enough
    This paragraph should've started with "BRIAN", not "GENO".

I do support the idea and am willing to do that on my AM side.

Geno

Brian;
    What about this? You could set up a page where the am's could submit the affiliates id and or the email in question that is bouncing mails/newsletters>>

Seems like something usefull for everyone.
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

I hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems that we still haven't reached a resolution on this issue. I agree with Richard & Geno that the affiliate managers need to work with SAS to get this bounced e-mail issue worked out. We send out monthly newsletters and regularly see 8 to 10% of the mails bouncing. I too have had the problem with a new affiliate signing up, but their welcome to the program e-mail bounces - I really don't get how that happens either.

At a minimum, it would be nice to have an AM posting area where we could post the IDs for the bounced mails.

Another idea that we've been tossing around here is that since SAS has the full list of affiliates, perhaps they could send out a quarterly or monthly validation e-mail to all of the affiliates? The subject line could say something about it being the Monthly E-mail Validation - No response necessary. Basically, SAS could just make sure that the e-mail addresses are still valid. For the e-mails that bounce, could SAS flag the account and put up a big warning when the affiliate logs in saying that SAS is unable to deliver e-mail to the address provided? That way affiliates would know that they aren't getting any e-mail. Ideally for merchants, it would be great if the flagged affiliates were marked as such and not sent newsletters until the e-mail address is validated.

Finally, I think it would be fabulous if affiliates could opt in/out of newsletters at the merchant level. I'm guessing that some newsletters are worth getting and some are not so affiliates could control mail being sent to them. Affiliates - what do you think?

Just my 2 cents.....
    ---------------
    Janice Smith
    All About Gifts & Baskets
    www.aagiftsandbaskets.com
    Contact Janice

13% Commission | 90 day cookies | Product Datafeed | Quarterly Bonus Program
    Join the AAGB Affiliate Program Today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast