Opposite the Slough of Despond
    I posted this to the "welovedfreebies" Yahoo! group:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I first learned about attempt to shut down other sites with the words "Freebies" in at ABestWeb - - where one of our members had received the dreaded " trademark letter".

After some discussion of this, and looking up the patent we decided that the claim was invalid. As a result I created my own "freebies" site with a twist at - I hope you enjoy it!

Basically all I've done is put my interpretation of trademarks claim and told them to come and have a go if they think they're hard enough. It only cost me a few dollars to register and put up.. will probably have to spend a lot more for them to send me a lawyers letter.

What's essential in combatting this think is that all the interested parties work together. There are some good people at ABestWeb with an understanding of trademarks and years of experience, so I suggest that would be a good place to visit.

I though maybe we could set up a permanent running thread on this one? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds good, so I guess this is the permanent thread .

As of 2/4/02, no further word from Freebies Publishing Company on this matter. Waiting for their next move, and hopefull that they drop it and crawl back under the rock they came out from.

I sent them a response via certified mail , and it was signed and recieved on 1/28/02 by Eugene Zannon .

Eeeks...What is it about the name "Eugene" that seems to crawl under my skin lately ? The name has never bothered me before .

Any more "Eugenes" and I may start flippin at the mere mention of the name "Eugene" , like in Abbott and Costello's famous old "Susquehanna Hat Company" skit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Opposite the Slough of Despond
    Interestingly, I just discovered which surely also demands a letter from Eugene? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I suspect's legal department is a bit bigger than his though!

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread