Frontpage and search engines?
    Anybody here use Frontpage? I know that's a bad word to some. lol I started at a free site and got frustrated with their web design creator so taught myself (hmmm attempted to but still need to learn more) the html and made my site that way. My husband has since given me Frontpage and I've made a couple sites using it. I'm thinking of taking my site and putting it into Frontpage ( notice I said thinking lol my husband says you're supposed to be able to take a site already online and put it in Frontpage....don't have a clue how that's done yet. ) I've been told by a person that knows a lot about search engines though that the idea might not be a good one since Frontpage has a lot of stuff in it that the search engines don't like. Soooo any of you have any experience regardiing how search engines like or dislike Frontpage. Definitely showing my dumminess lol but not sure if I put a site into Frontpage it will show the site how I made it without the Frontpage stuff or it will end up being changed and showing all the Frontpage stuff she was talking about. It would be easier if it were in Frontpage since I could use some of the functions Frontpage has like the search. Another dumb question, but if I move my site to another host site does that alter anything with the search engines?
    Thanks ahead of time for any responses

Talking
    I have used frontpage since 2000 and it has not hurt me with the search engines at all.

Yes you can import any site that you want to into frontpage.

Create a new website in frontpage with nothing in it but the index. The index page is automatically made by frontpage when you create the new website.

After you create the new website go to file - publish. Give it the url of the site you want to import. It will ask for your user name and password for the site.

After it opens the site you will see on the right hand side of the publish page three button where you can move files from your computer to the website - a button where you can move files from the website into frontpage in your computer and a button where you can syn the website and the files in your computer.

Click on the button to move files from your website into your computer and the entire website will be loaded into frontpage in your computer.

From then on just work on it just like you do with your other two frontpage sites.

After you load the files into frontpage you will probably end up with two index pages. Just delete the index page that you do not want to use and have just the index page that you imported from the website into frontpage.

Good luck.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    imho, it is not that search engines dislike STUFF that most text editors add to the top of your source code. It is that MOST of that STUFF is not helpful and just gets in the way.

Burger Boy and Adam
    Thank you both very much. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the process of importing a site into Frontpage, too. I really appreciate it very much. Think I will be doing that in the near future

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    PurpleBEar - I've been using Frontpage for years and wouldn't dream of taxing my brain by learning to hand code pages - YUCK - My site is high ranked in Goog and FP doesn't seem to have hindered it's success any.

Most people upgrade to Dreamweaver eventually. Dreamweaver is supposed to be a much better editor but I try to keep the learning curve to a minimum so I haven't upgraded yet. I think you'd be surprised by the number of people who use FP or Dreamweaver to create their sites. Kinda like the ease of self-cleaning ovens ... why would anyone want to scrub when they can flip a switch?!!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Talking
    I have FP and Dreamweaver both. To me FP is a lot easier to use.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Rexanne
    lol
    "wouldn't dream of taxing my brain by learning to hand code pages"
    My poor little brain got taxed twice lol and it definitely didn't need it Only started to learn the html due to a "woman problem" lol I wanted shades of purple on my site and wasn't about to be stopped. Where my site was you were able to create the site using their editor or whatever it was only instead of purple the color turned out lime green. Not to anger any lime green lovers but I wanted purple lol so that's how it started.

First fiasco was learning the html (which definitely didn't come easy to my poor little brain) Then a friend tried being helpful and suggested css and gave me a little code for each page. ummmm still haven't figured it out.
    Then my husband bought me the Frontpage as a gift for my birthday. Shouldn't be fessing up to this, but learning the html I think was easier. lol In the beginning I got so frustrated with FP I guess because I had learned the html first and I had to learn how to use Frontpage which seemed at odds to what I had been doing. So far I've been doing a sort of half FP and half putting in my html to make things how I want it. Still haven't mastered FP but working on it slowly.
    pssssst there seems to be a group of html, css purists and those who love FP. All of the html purists keep telling me to continue learning the html. lol FP makes an awful lot of stuff a lot faster I know but ummmm I'll keep that a secret between us
    I feel a whole lot better knowing both of your sites haven't been bothered by using it. That was a big fear of mine cos the last thing I want to do is suffer the ire of the search engines.
    Dreamweaver I think is gonna have to be a dream right now cos of the price but definitely hear a lot of people rave about it. Agree with you though, both our brains will probably love us for waiting on that

"Kinda like the ease of self-cleaning ovens ... why would anyone want to scrub when they can flip a switch?!!" Oooh boy, we do think alike
    Thanks for the helpful words

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I have FP and Dreamweaver both. To me FP is a lot easier to use.
    I did some volunteer work at my daughter's school and they had Dreamweaver. I never could figure out how to get a form on their web site using Dreamweaver ... thought it was just me.

Thanks for the advice BurgerBoy. I'll stick with FP and not tax my brain any more than necessary.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    So far I've been doing a sort of half FP and half putting in my html to make things how I want it. Still haven't mastered FP but working on it slowly.
    PB, knowing HTML will only help you and I, too, use a combo of FP and hand coding. Sometimes you have to hand code things to get them the way you want them and FP tends to do weird stuff that needs to be cleaned up or you need to be able to get into the code and make it right. Learning FP will happen after tons of use ... I have a FP book that helps but it came with 2000 which I've left behind a few years ago. There are plenty of little secrets to making things work. :-) Feel free to post a question here if you're fighting FP ...

One thing that drove me crazy in FP was getting things lined up the way I wanted them ... I finally just started building tables inside tables in to get things where I wanted them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Another dumb question, but if I move my site to another host site does that alter anything with the search engines?
    Thanks ahead of time for any responses
    I don't think it should make a differenence. Somebody correct me if I am wrong because I am thinking of moving a few sites soon. You simply change the name servers. Now if the hosting company also registered your domain, prepare for a bit of hassle! Your new host can probably help you with this. This is why I like to now register domains separately (I use godaddy). I then do a simple nameserver change.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead
    Before I made my first site somebody told me to never use the same host site as where your domain came from so I ended up with two separate places. I'll actually be moving where my site is now hosted to probably where my domain name came from. Don't plan on moving anymore after that. Hopefully at least I like godaddy for domain names, too. They have really good prices. Thanks for the help

Rexanne
    I'm sure in the future you'll be reading a lot of questions
    Our minds do work a like lol My husband keeps teasing me about the tables. I got so frustrated not being able to line things up. When all else fails, do tables. lol
    On the site I'm in the process of making guess I got pigheaded again and wanted rounded corners.lol He kept telling me the only way to do it was with their layout cells. Finally got what I wanted with putting in background colors for the page, using their layout cells for some of the rounded corners and have tables inside tables lol and putting the little images in the tables for the rounded corners. lol I keep taking the code and putting it in a "test page" online then go to a validator to see if it's ok. Thought for sure with all the tables something would be wrong but except for not liking a few of the things FP put in, it seems fine. Think I'd be lost without tables. lol I've grown to love tables
    Thanks again all of you. I really appreciate your help

I use frontpage also for all my sites. You may want to head over to ebay and get "frontpage for dummies" book. It helped me out way back when I first started. You can get it for about $5
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I have only ever used frontpage. No worries.

Yeah, I've used Frontpage on several sites, one of which has a PR4 and it does not seem to cause me any trouble what so ever. I'm interested in learning Dreamweaver but I'm no rush.

Lyte

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte
    I'm interested in learning Dreamweaver but I'm no rush.

Lyte
    Me too...for years! lol...maybe oneday. everytime I try that program I run into an issue and tell myself "this is too hard." and then go open frontpage.

Frontpage may be cheesy or whatnot but my guess is that it can't hurt because it should in the least be conforming to the "standard"...coming from microsoft?

Just seems to simple and safe to ignore to myself anyway.

Frontpage may be cheesy or whatnot but my guess is that it can't hurt because it should in the least be conforming to the "standard"...coming from microsoft?

Just seems to simple and safe to ignore to myself anyway.
    Don't tell anyone, but I used to use FrontPage and all of the "FrontPage Server Extensions Crap" that you must have on your site, in order to do some of the same things that you can do with just SSI.

Just one tip!

The day that I decided to remove all of the "FrontPage Server Extensions Crap" that I had on one site, I cut the space that I was using on that site in less than .

I noticed that I didn't need to have a duplicate page of every page that I made on my site, stored on the [ /_vti_bin/ , etc ] folders, just to have a page live on the net.

But just the same way that I was afraid to delete my "FrontPage Server Extensions Crap" on that first site, I know that many people would not mess with those files for now because they're afraid to lose everything on their site.

Btw, I still use the FrontPage editor to play around with the html code and see how it may look on some PHP pages , but there is no way in hell that I will ever use the stupid "FrontPage Server Extensions Crap" again.

Anonymous.

I have used Frontpage since 1997 and if you are comfortable with it then stick to it.

I would avoid the fancy things like search and just stick to the basics.

However I would recommend that you learn CSS and try and use that for layout, avoiding tables for the main pay layout

The Layout Reservoir is a good starting point to find out more about using CSS for page layouts.

For a simple example of using Frontpage and CSS see Structures

It is a site I built to promote a play about about Brunel's wife, as this year is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

(Having done the site I then got my arm twisted to design the lighting, so at the age of 55 it is the first and probably last time in my life I wil be a professional stage lighting designer )

Mr. Sal said:
    "But just the same way that I was afraid to delete my "FrontPage Server Extensions Crap" on that first site, I know that many people would not mess with those files for now because they're afraid to lose everything on their site."

Ummm, yeap ...just call me little miss scaredy cat. lol I definitely don't know enough to be deleting stuff.

websmith said:
    "I would avoid the fancy things like search and just stick to the basics."

Search is one of the things I'm looking forward to using. Don't know how well it works but like the idea of being able to have it on my site

nyfalcon said:
    "You may want to head over to ebay and get "frontpage for dummies" book."

Yeap, I do have it Even bought the monster book for it by Microsoft. At this point I' could probably open my own little computer store, I've read so many. lol

Thanks everybody

One question - is there any reason why FP doesn't include the doc type in what they put on their pages? I noticed they were missing when I went to put the meta tags in and my nice little rounded corners don't work after I put the doc. type in myself. Well, all of them still show the way they were intended to show except the left top one isn't. I've always included the doc type but don't know if it's necessary for it to be in there.

Search is one of the things I'm looking forward to using. Don't know how well it works but like the idea of being able to have it on my site
    If you are looking for a site search engine, try this one, it's free and they even install it for you free too.

Fluid Dynamics Search Engine

FDSE is an easy-to-install search engine for local and remote sites. It returns fast, accurate results from a template-driven architecture. Freeware and shareware versions are available with Perl source Fluid Dynamics Search Engine

Automated Install - immediately get a working search engine. No download, no FTP, no mess.
    Once your site is indexed, you can use the search code in every page of your site if you want to.

Sal.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread