More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question Affiliate Sales Proportional to Frequency of Site Update?
    I seem to notice a pattern. If I do an update on a site, I get a few sales within a week or two. Leave the site alone and everything dries up. I have a webmerge-based site where if I rerun with a change or two, I see some conversions.

Is this a real phenomena or coincidence?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If you get traffic from bookmarks you'd best change the dispalys and page contents around. Keep them fresh from a shoppers viewpoint.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    I say it is concidence.
    I have sites that update themselves automatically every night while I sleep and the sales flow pretty evenly.

Now, if you have a site where the merchant has constantly-changing merchandise and you don't update it and the merchandise on your site is out of stock or otherwise dated, that is a problem.

The best converting site I had Never got updated
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

With webmerged pages I see the same as you do Cheesehead. The more often you update them the more consistent the sales seem to be. Of course this could have alot to do with products being in stock. Some of the merchants go in and out of stock frequently so some feeds definately need more updating than others.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    With webmerged pages I see the same as you do Cheesehead. The more often you update them the more consistent the sales seem to be. Of course this could have alot to do with products being in stock. Some of the merchants go in and out of stock frequently so some feeds definately need more updating than others.
    I understand that keeping products current is important for sales. But in the situations I am talking about, these are pages that have links for lead programs and the links themselves are not changed. I just made some changes in the supporting content. Several times I made changes and in each instance saw leads come in. This makes no sense with respect to the major search engines since any changes on their part take a few weeks to a month to kick in.

I am wondering if scraperbots detect the changes and then decide to feature my "new content" on their pages? Then, as the scraperbots find newer content, my pages are no longer listed. Just a theory.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Does your traffic increase, or just the sales?

If it's just the sales, it's probably coincidence. If it's the traffic, too, search engines are probably giving you higher SERPs due to the fresh content. I know Google's latest patent covered that (and scores of other factors).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'd say this could be happening. I was reading a thing recently on split testing that recommended changing various aspects of your site/page and looking for what changes brought increased conversions.

It could be that different content is compelling different people to sign up.

The idea of the split testing was to find which changes brought the most conversions and go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Does your traffic increase, or just the sales?

If it's just the sales, it's probably coincidence. If it's the traffic, too, search engines are probably giving you higher SERPs due to the fresh content. I know Google's latest patent covered that (and scores of other factors).
    Appears to be coincidence. I was able to quickly check via adsense channel data. The one ad that produced had a 2 week spike in traffic but I only made a minor change to update a link. The updated link also produced some leads - the old link was defunct.

I usually find that when I update a page, I start getting sales from other pages that have been dormant for weeks with the updated pages showing nothing. I regard it as being like the flaw in Islamic art, nothing is perfect other than God.

You know, I've heard others comment on something similar; whenever they implement a new merchant on a new site, they see an initially high number of sales, only to have it dwindle down rather low, for the coming weeks.

In fact, this is something I've been through as well. I cannot really wrap my head around why it happens, and really don't think there's any consipiracy. Maybe it's just some type of web phenomenon? Your guess is as good as mine...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread