Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Can not get Walmart product links
    The product links simply won't load. When doing a search it just "hangs" indefinitely. They are *not* categorized the way they should be, there are a kazillion products, and the whole entire shebang needs to be searched to find something for which there are only maybe 2 or 3 items either needed or available.

There really should be advanced linking enabled for non-feed webmasters, it's a wrist buster anyway, to keep clicking to see what things look like, even in the cases when merchant product linking does work. Which it is NOT for getting Walmart links.

Nor are there text links going to specific departments. Having advanced linking enabled would make it possible to send shoppers directly to what they're looking for, drilling in from the homepage isn't exactly convenient. For some things, it could be easier to just hop in the car and go to the store than to use the site.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Bear in mind that te site is down right now so maybe that is why?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Jack, but it's been going on all week, I've tried every day. One time only I got a couple of links after a long, long wait, but aside from that it's just been hanging every time.

I've got some products up from another merchant that Walmart is *much* cheaper on, so of course they haven't sold - same stuff, why should people pay more? Plus, Walmart has some products I can't find anyplace else (with an affiliate program), and I don't even know if they've got product links made for them. If I ever do get it to load, it would take hours of clicking and looking through to find what I need. It's SO much easier with advanced linking, that's the strong point of LS, imho.

I see they are now at Goldencan, did you try that? I've had the same problem with walmart so I am looking forward to using GC, hoping it facilitates things.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I saw him post over there so maybe we can get him more active here and get him to enable advanced linking. I think every merchant should have this feature enabled.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Thanks Jack, but it's been going on all week, I've tried every day. One time only I got a couple of links after a long, long wait, but aside from that it's just been hanging every time.

I've got some products up from another merchant that Walmart is *much* cheaper on, so of course they haven't sold - same stuff, why should people pay more? Plus, Walmart has some products I can't find anyplace else (with an affiliate program), and I don't even know if they've got product links made for them. If I ever do get it to load, it would take hours of clicking and looking through to find what I need. It's SO much easier with advanced linking, that's the strong point of LS, imho.
    Clue train... just put up GoldenCan Walmart category displays til they cure the 8 million bogus SKU's inside the Linkshare database. OverStock has the same problem but going down hill on viable stock as share prices tumble.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Clue train... just put up GoldenCan Walmart category displays til they cure the 8 million bogus SKU's inside the Linkshare database. OverStock has the same problem but going down hill on viable stock as share prices tumble.
    Walmart fixed their datafeed out of stock problem with Linkshare Merchandiser. It seems to be fairly solid now. Overstock doesn't have that problem if you stick with their private feeds. I wouldn't use their merchandiser feed just because their private feeds are so well updated.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    get him to enable advanced linking. I think every merchant should have this feature enabled.
    Well Walmart sure should, if they want to compete with Target for the stuff they both carry.

I agree 100% about the advanced linking, we know what we need and it may not be what links they've got up. I go through that with a couple of apparel merchants - what they have up for links is inappropriate, doesn't fit "occasions" and is way off-season.

Mike, I don't think GoldenCan will work for me, the product lines and categories are too broad. I just want certain very narrowly targeted, specific niche type of items, not a ton of other stuff, and it doesn't seem you can do that with GC.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hello,

You may want to do a test transaction to make sure this works, but this may help. Here is how to link directly to any product on walmart.com (spaces added for link to show up fully):

http:// click.linksynergy .com/ fs-bin/click?id= [SITE.CODE]&offerid=64951.[Product.Id]&type=2&subid=0

Replace [SITE.CODE] with your linkshare ID and replace [Product.Id] from the URL of the product on Walmart. For example, if the product you want is:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4228534

Then [Product.Id] would be 4228534.

Hope this helps. If you do a test transaction to make sure this works, please post so here.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well Walmart sure should, if they want to compete with Target for the stuff they both carry.

I agree 100% about the advanced linking, we know what we need and it may not be what links they've got up. I go through that with a couple of apparel merchants - what they have up for links is inappropriate, doesn't fit "occasions" and is way off-season.

Mike, I don't think GoldenCan will work for me, the product lines and categories are too broad. I just want certain very narrowly targeted, specific niche type of items, not a ton of other stuff, and it doesn't seem you can do that with GC.
    GC allows sub-category selections down to very specific categories. Want just Patio & Garden stuff... you got it with GC if the merchant is on the ball. If so the default display for any catefory is important to have a broad selection to entice some GC pageviews.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    I saw him post over there so maybe we can get him more active here and get him to enable advanced linking. I think every merchant should have this feature enabled.
    I agree with jackson992
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    GC allows sub-category selections down to very specific categories. Want just Patio & Garden stuff... you got it with GC if the merchant is on the ball. If so the default display for any catefory is important to have a broad selection to entice some GC pageviews.
    I see very few category levels, just a whole lotta brands.

still nice, though . . .

ABW Ambassador
    Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Well, it's one thing if the traffic is coming in for broad category and finding the site on broad keywords, how they came tells how they're looking. But it's a bit different when they know what they're looking for and they're coming in from search engines on those specifics. Sure, that'll get less traffic but it's focused traffic.

GC allows sub-category selections down to very specific categories.
    GC doesn't, you have to put the whole thing on, and then the visitor has to drill down and navigate to get to the sub-category, which wouldn't work for my pages. I want *just* the sub-category.

In my case, it's pretty much the specifics they're after and it would be counterproductive if they had to browse the site to find it - that's why they were searching at the engines - they want what they want and that's what they wanted to click and see.

Want just Patio & Garden stuff... you got it with GC if the merchant is on the ball.
    They're not coming in for something as broad as Patio and Garden, they're coming in on something as specific as flower bulbs or chicken cookie jars. They need to land on a page that has their bulbs or cookie jars.

For example, like what I was looking for today, Target has 22 altogether and Walmart has 36 altogether. I sure don't need the whole broad category it fits into, and don't even need all that many for either or even both, I just need a few of the nicest to get them to click over and browse the merchant's site.

Another thing about the narrowed down specific topics (which aren't available at GC anyway), being that they're more focused so they're lower volume than broader searches with only modest traffic for each, I couldn't afford that fourth click.
    Last edited by webworker; May 22nd, 2006 at 04:01 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Another thing about the narrowed down specific topics (which aren't available at GC anyway),
    More importantly (and what I'm griping about in this thread) is that even text links to focused subcategories aren't available from Walmart.

I hope I'm wrong, but it makes me very hesitant to send people to big broad general categories where they have to dig around to find what they came to my site looking for, which is why they clicked over to the merchant. The general category link for what I was putting up today has a link to the sub-category that has those products WAY down bottom left in the navigation, which is long - I had a hard time finding the stuff myself.

(By the way, out of the stuff I was looking for, I finally got the product links to load and there were just a few - but not the ones I needed.)

ABW Ambassador
    Replace [SITE.CODE] with your linkshare ID and replace [Product.Id] from the URL of the product on Walmart.
    You may want to do a test transaction to make sure this works, but this may help.
    Thank you Saluta, I'll give it a try and buy myself something nice.

Hey Webworker,
    You're right about searches that "hang". Very frustrating indeed! I find that the fewer keywords I use the better my results. It's like the LS search feature demands that you "KISS" it (Keep It Simple...). Searching for a particular "brand name" really hangs up for me!

Suluta's suggestion was a good one. I use that method as well. Glad he posted it here. I can easily surf the Wal-Mart site, find exactly what I want and create a link on the fly!

However, it might be worth mentioning that you will need to change the number that follows the "&offerid=" code, in this case Suluta's number of "&offerid=64951". I have a totally different number, as I imagine everyone does. My "offerid" number is consistantly the same throughout all my Wal-Mart product links as well an included in my Wal-Mart searchbox code (a hidden input code). BTW, these same numbers (&offerid=XXXXX.[Product.Id]) should also be changed in your 1x1 px tracking images, if you use them. I read where some don't. Not knowing exactly how important they are, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Good luck to you!
    Arizona Deb
    [URL=http://www.azwoodman.com/]azWoodman.com[/URL]

You're Welcome . Let us know here if/when you make a test purchase and if it tracks please.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Deb
    Hey Webworker,
    You're right about searches that "hang". Very frustrating indeed! I find that the fewer keywords I use the better my results. It's like the LS search feature demands that you "KISS" it (Keep It Simple...). Searching for a particular "brand name" really hangs up for me!

Suluta's suggestion was a good one. I use that method as well. Glad he posted it here. I can easily surf the Wal-Mart site, find exactly what I want and create a link on the fly!

However, it might be worth mentioning that you will need to change the number that follows the "&offerid=" code, in this case Suluta's number of "&offerid=64951". I have a totally different number, as I imagine everyone does. My "offerid" number is consistantly the same throughout all my Wal-Mart product links as well an included in my Wal-Mart searchbox code (a hidden input code). BTW, these same numbers (&offerid=XXXXX.[Product.Id]) should also be changed in your 1x1 px tracking images, if you use them. I read where some don't. Not knowing exactly how important they are, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Good luck to you!

I actually don't think that the "offerid" matters, as long as it was valid at one point. For example, if you are in a program level with Linkshare, and it expires, there is a new offerid. However, you don't have to go back and change all of your previous links. But, better safe then sorry, so if it isn't a big deal, might as well change it out.

If anyone would like some more product links, please let me know and I'll try to make them for you (free, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Suluta
    I actually don't think that the "offerid" matters, as long as it was valid at one point. For example, if you are in a program level with Linkshare, and it expires, there is a new offerid. However, you don't have to go back and change all of your previous links. But, better safe then sorry, so if it isn't a big deal, might as well change it out.

If anyone would like some more product links, please let me know and I'll try to make them for you (free, of course).
    Well, ok, I didn't know for sure. Just thought it might be worth mentioning, even if it only provides more feedback like you just added. Thanks. I have had so many weird code changes in other affiliate programs that it leaves me skeptical when I see alterations in coding.
    Arizona Deb

ABW Ambassador
    Saluta, does that work for linking to specific categories, like you can do when advanced linking is enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Deb
    Well, ok, I didn't know for sure. Just thought it might be worth mentioning, even if it only provides more feedback like you just added. Thanks. I have had so many weird code changes in other affiliate programs that it leaves me skeptical when I see alterations in coding.
    You're right, this is great dialogue. Hopefully many affiliates will benefit from the information we're sharing. Thanks for posting!

Saluta, does that work for linking to specific categories, like you can do when advanced linking is enabled?

It is strictly for products, I don't think there is a way to link to categories, other then what is provided in the "create links" section .

Quote Originally Posted by Suluta
    You're right, this is great dialogue. Hopefully many affiliates will benefit from the information we're sharing. Thanks for posting!
    You are very welcome! My hat's off to you, too.

Just as a follow-up for the "&offerid" issue, I just received an affiliate email from Walmart, and the "offerid" number all the codes they sent me is different from the one in my product links. I sent a letter off to them about the importance of this number and will post back when I know more.
    Arizona Deb

Does the walmart rep read these forums? If so, I would really like advanced links as well. The datafeed/gc links just don't meet my needs as well. If we had advanced links, it would be so much easier and more versitile.

Thanks,
    Tempest

Affiliate Manager
    Linking To Deep Pages on Walmart.com
    Hi everyone,

Im the affiliate marketing manager at Walmart.com. Thanks for all of your feedback on our link generation process. I know that its a painful process and that there are a lot of things that we need to do better. I saw a couple of distinct issues in the thread, so below is my attempt to address each of those concerns. You'll see that we're working on technical fixes and have some work-arounds that you can use in the meantime.

Advanced Linking
    We have been working on making this available to our affiliates for the past 18 months, but have been running into technical obstacles that we cant seem to find a way around. There are still 2-3 big hurdles that we need to work through before we can make this available to you all. Im still working on it, but itll probably be a while before this will be available.

Pre-Made Text Links to Department, Category and Sub-Category pages
    Were in the middle of a complete overhaul of our creative archive on LinkShare. We have outdated banners and text links out there, as well as too many different categories that make it difficult to find the right piece of creative. We should be finished with this in July when youll be able to find a bunch of new banners as well as text links to all of our departments, categories and sub-categories.

Manipulating the Link Convention to Build Deep Links
    The good news is that Ive discovered several different methods of manipulating our link convention over the past 2 months. Modifying these links will enable you to land on almost any page on our site. Ive used these links with several affiliates and they seem to be tracking properly. Nonetheless, please double-check to ensure that theyre tracking for you before you use them on a wide-scale basis.

Building Product and Search Links
    By changing the search parameters in our search link, you can land your users on almost any page on our site. Check out this URL: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/statform?id=[SITE.CODE]&offerid=100143&bnid=639&subid=&search_query=[SEARCH.PARAMETER]&search_constraint=0&dest=9999999999
    - To make this URL track for you, just replace [SITE.CODE] with your 11 digit affiliate id.
    - To make this URL land on a product page, replace [SEARCH.PARAMETER] with the seven digit product id that you can find at the end of any of our product URLs. For example, the product id for the Nintendo DS Lite Gamer's Bundle (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4982512) is 4982512.
    - To make this URL land on a search results page, replace [SEARCH.PARAMETER] with the appropriate search terms. For example, if you wanted to land your customers on the search results page for Xbox 360 Hardware, youd replace [SEARCH.PARAMETER] with xbox+360+hardware.

Building Category Links
    While the search link can get you to many of our pages, theyre not terribly good at landing on department, category or sub-category pages. These are pages with URLs that end with cat=xxxxx. To do this, youll need to modify this URL: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=[SITE.CODE]&offerid=100143&type=10&tmpid=746&RD_PARM1=dest%253D9999999996%2526cat%253D[CATEGORY.ID]
    - To make this URL track for you, just replace [SITE.CODE] with your 11 digit affiliate id.
    - To make this URL land on the right page, replace [CATEGORY.ID] with the category id which can be anywhere from 3 to 6 digits and is at the end of those category URLs in the cat= parameter.

Hope that helps out. Let me know what other questions you have about our program and Ill do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

Randy Almond
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Walmart.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast