Cool So, let's just shoot the breeze...
    How long have most of you affiliates been in this business?

Looking back on all the time you've been working, what do you think is the most important trait/skill/virtue that has put you where you are now? Peristence? Patience? Programming? etc..

Hope I'm not prying too much. Just curious as to what others have been up to..

"what do you think is the most important trait/skill/virtue that has put you where you are now?"
    hee heee Not exactly sure where that is. I'm pretty much a newbie I guess. I've only been an affiliate for little over 2 years and guess only thing that's put me wherever I am now is just keeping at it and being determined to learn as much as I can to improve. Got a long way to go on that, though

I believe the board mantra is Consistency of Purpose... That's a fine virtue/value to have as ana affiliate.

I also recall Stan Sigman, CEO of Cingular Wireless once telling his employees:

"If it isn't making you money, stop doing it."

In our case, that means if your site isn't making money, fix it. No sense burning bandwith on a loser.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I would disagree. Burning bandwidth for the most part is free - time is not.

"If it isn't making you money, stop doing it." is true, but I would apply that not to sites, but to your time. Time management and making sure you are getting the biggest return for your time - learn to do that and you will make money.

Chet

I was an affiliate for a few years, now trying to be a good vendor.

I saw great returns on some of my original ideas, but then my ideas became a bit stale.

John
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Time management and making sure you are getting the biggest return for your time - learn to do that and you will make money.
    That's actually a great point. I usually spend 8-5 workin' for the man, where I then spend from 5-12ish working for myself. What I noticed, however, is that although I'm working 7 extra hours a night, only about 3-4 of those hours are spent doing some hard work. The other hours are spent checking accounts, thinking about what I should do next, switching radio stations/tv channels, eating, friend things, innocently watching the beautiful women in the pool outside my window ( ), blah blah blah (you get the picture).

I keep telling myself that I'm not using my time as efficiently as possible. Still trying to figure out how to do that without burning myself out...

http and a telephoto
    Thinking and planning is work too... but being able to implement what you think about and plan are key. Dream it.... then do it!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

That's a better way of saying what I was getting at, Chet. Good point.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Plan your work.

Work your plan.

So simple...yet so important. Especially important to someone who does not have a boss leering over their shoulder monitoring their progress.

You and Loxly have probably hit upon my biggest weakness; I'd catch myself working sometimes (for an hour or more), and would stop - only to realize that what I was doing wasn't necessary, or a complete waste of time, or that I'd have to go back and do it all over again. I bet some of you are guilty as well...

Talk about a big leak.. I've since improved upon that annoying habit, but at the cost of having scraps of paper all over the place!

What about skill sets? Do any of you have some kind of specialized knowledge/training/experience? For instance, some technical things are so much easier to me, and quicker to implement, b/c I've spent the last decade programming for the man.

On the other hand, there are things I've yet to learn in a non-technical light, which might increase sales, and which I know the lack-of is giving me headaches that aren't necessary.

http and a telephoto
    Skill Sets.... start reading here... You need a variety of skills, probably not the ones you think you need, and I am sure most folks will post a long list here for ya. But the best way to figure out what you need to know how to do is read here at ABW. I learned everything I know about affiliate marketing right here.... (I think I have said that a few times this week!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ok cool. yeah, been reading a lot since joining. In fact, I'm probably reading too much and not doing enough of the good stuff..

My business partner and I began affiliate marketing even before there was affiliate marketing I guess. Our first site went live in 1996 and we spent a lot of time developing it and pampering it.

Looking back, I think that we could have become much more successful if we had diversified more. Built individual sites with specific purposes instead of an all inclusive site which was common in the beginning.

We were able to take everything that we learned from all of those years and build what we believe is one of the best magazine businesses on the net. I say all of that to say that you may look back in the future and realize that you are using your skill-sets in ways that you never imagine today.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread