Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Exclamation Man on a Medical Mission

The following quote is from a recent article in the Tacoma News Tribune:

"Leukemia might kill Wayne Mangan, but he's saving lives in the meantime.

Eight drives organized by Mangan and his friends have failed to find a bone marrow donor for him, but they have found tentative matches for six other people.

Mangan couldn't be happier.

'I might die with this disease,' he said. 'But I know darn well what we are doing will save someone.'"

We found out about Wayne Mangan earlier this week when we made a $1000 donation to Cascade Regional Blood Services (CRBS). Wayne has CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia) and has not responded well to Gleevec, which is the primary treatment for this disease. At this point his best chance of survival is to find a bone marrow donor, but so far a willing match has not been found.

The Church for All Nations in Tacoma will be hosting a blood/marrow drive in Wayne's honor on Saturday, May 20th from 8:00am to 4:00pm. The Church for All Nations is located at 111-112th St. East, Tacoma, just east of 112th and Pacific Ave. If you live in the Tacoma area please come and support this event by bringing friends and family. A huge BBQ for all will be provided and they are hoping to break the National record for the largest one-day bone marrow drive.

If you don't live in the Tacoma area, visit the The National Marrow Donor Program website for information on where you can sign up for the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) Registry.

-- Todd

P.S. After we left CRBS on Wednesday we went to Red Robin for dinner and my wife struck up a conversation with our waitress Lori about their respective kids. Lori pulled out a photo of her daughter Nevaeh and we saw that she was bald. It turned out that Lori's daughter has ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) and the whole family have become good friends with Wayne! (The little girl in the photo w/ Wayne above is Nevaeh!) What are the odds that we'd decide to go to Red Robin for dinner that night and get the one waitress there whose daughter has Leukemia and who knows Wayne? My life is just a series of strange coincidences! 8-)
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    My life is just a series of strange coincidences! 8-)
    Todd, I would take all those "strange coincidences" as affirmation that you're living right. :-) Coincidences are there to let you know you're doing what you're supposed to be doing and all is right in the world.

Nonetheless, this is a great story and it truly is amazing that you ended up at Red Robin and got that waitress that night. WAY COOL.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Smile
    Hey Rexanne,

It definitely seems that way.

Not sure if any of you read the post on Alex's Coupons about how we came to donate $1000 to Cascade, so I've reprinted it below. All of this started because I decided to check the King5 website to see if it was going to rain that day!

-- Todd

Alex's Coupons Featured Charity for May 2006: Cascade Regional Blood Services

Alex's Coupons featured charity this month is Cascade Regional Blood Services. CRBS is a non-profit independent community blood center serving the South Sound region of Western Washington. CRBS provides 100% of the regular blood supply and services to many South Puget Sound hospitals, clinics and trauma centers including Tacoma General Hospital. Alex's Coupons is making a donation of $1000 to this very worthy organization.

My wife Andrea and I spent the first two weeks of May trying to figure out which charity should receive our monthly donation of $1000. Initially it was going to be a national charity, but after some thought we decided to keep the donation local this month. Yesterday was a particularly hot day here (at least for Seattle!) and while I was checking the weather report on King5's website I happened to read the following story:

Tacoma blood bank vans vandalized by tire slasher

I could not believe that anyone would be heartless, stupid, moronic (fill in your adjective here!) enough to do this to a blood bank! At first I was just angry and then as I read on in the story I came to this sentence:

"The mass slashing could cut into the non-profit organization's budget. To fix all 11 tires, it could cost them about $1,000."

Can you say "My Name is Earl"! Needless to say I immediately knew that we had found our featured charity for this month. I ran it past Andrea and she thought it was a great idea too. So I contacted Kelley Gregory at CRBS today and made arrangements for us to deliver a $1000 check to them tomorrow afternoon!

Now some of you may ask what a blood bank has to do with Childhood Cancer charities. The answer is...everything! Over the course of her five years of treatment my daughter Alex had hundreds of blood transfusions, both red blood and platelets. During her first transplant she was hooked up to a platelet drip for 3 days straight. Without organizations like CRBS, the red blood and platelets that Alex desperately needed to survive would not have been available. Now while Alex never received blood directly from CRBS, (Seattle Children's is serviced by a different blood bank), my son Nick received several red blood transfusions when he was in the Tacoma General NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and that blood came directly from CRBS.

If you live in the South Sound area of Western Washington I would encourage you to check out the CRBS website to see when and where you can donate blood. Studies have shown that while 95% of the population will need blood by age 72, only 5% of the eligible population donates blood. You can give if you are in good health, weigh at least 110 pounds and are at least are 18 (ages 16-17 may donate when they present a signed Permission for a minor to donate blood form). If you don't live in this area please contact your local blood bank to find out when and where you can donate. You can find the closest blood bank to you on the American Association of Blood Banks website.

Thanks in advance for your support. Take care.

Todd, Andrea, Alex & Nicholas Martini
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Hey Rexanne,

It definitely seems that way.

Not sure if any of you read the post on Alex's Coupons about how we came to donate $1000 to Cascade, so I've reprinted it below. All of this started because I decided to check the King5 website to see if it was going to rain that day!

-- Todd

Alex's Coupons Featured Charity for May 2006: Cascade Regional Blood Services
    Another perfect example of the universe showing you that you're on the right track, Todd. Very cool story, very cool place and reason to donate.

I, too, donate a portion of my site income to charities and I'll usually end up sending money to either a children's or animal charity. Whenever I'm ready to donate, something always pops up on my radar to guide me. Amazing how it works. All we have to do is listen and go with the flow. :-)

Last month, I was browsing the web and ended up on a gorilla charity site that had a video of Darryl Hannah on an expedition to visit the mountain gorillas in Africa. I adore gorillas and gladly sent them money, feeling so good about having stumbled across the site. That night, my daughter came home and told me she was at a film premiere with Darryl Hannah and how much fun she had with her. Unreal - a sure sign (to me) that all was right in my world. I silently thanked the universe for guiding my hand yet again ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread