Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm really ticked
    I get a phone call this morning from a financial institution I deal ith saying there is questionable activity on my account they need to verify.

I log into that account and for 3 days someone has been draining my account. There are around 15 fraudulent charges and my account balance is drained to $6.42.

I call the financial institution. They are going through the transaction asking which ones were legitimate. All were done online. Many were from very reputable online Merchants. I have a lot of the $1 merchant autorizations outstanding. Some of those $1 deals are for charges in the amount of over $4500 and $6000. Luckily I only had a few hundred dollars in the account (it was a debit card).

The thing that concerned me even more was that I noticed that some of the charges had gone through, which means the Merchant got an address verification match for card approval. This is an account that I do not receive statements for in the mail. The only address association for it is when I use it online for a purchase or anyone who may have kept it on file. This disturbed me the most, as to how the account was compromised. As you can imagine, I'm extremely careful with my cards. I suspect however whoever was behind it doesn't just have my account information.

I called one merchant to see what additional info I could get in order to possibly ascertain how the compromise happened so I'd know how worried I should be about other possible accounts being compromised. I'm told by that merchant they can't issue me any information. Hmmm....ok. My card was used but I can't get any info.

Called a second merchant that had approved the card. I was also hoping to save them from actually shipping the product. They were nicer and more helpful. I at least know that the item shipped inside the US and I know what city it shipped to. I do also now know for certain that they do indeed have my bill to address also. Happily, the product hasn't reached them yet and is going to be rerouted back to the merchant, so this idiot won't be getting their shoes.

I also know that someone picked the wrong person to do credit card fraud. Because I will get law enforcement to follow up, even if it's just to shut me up from bugging them about it. And I will find out who was behind this.

Now I'm off to tackle having to do around 15 individual chargeback claims with affadivits for all the fraudulent charges they put through so I can get my money back and straighten out some other banking headaches this has caused.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Go get em Ms.B and make them rue the day they decided to become crooks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

take it to them Ms B!

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    If the merchants were shipping products to an address other than yours then surely that would go a long ways in catching the SOB. I hope you nail them and they serve time for it!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    some of the charges had gone through, which means the Merchant got an address verification match for card approval
    Most online merchants I know of also need the CVV code on the back of the card to match, not just an address.

I would suspect that some merchant you dealt with was keeping a record of CC info--against the standard Terms of Visa and MC--and got their database hacked (or an insider stole the data).

Good luck.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Good luck Kellie! Same thing happened to me. Some outfit from Spain started buying really expensive camera equipment. I only had 4 purchases but they were biggies and caused me alot of anguish. My bank was very understanding, however, and we were able to get it straight fairly quickly. The bad news...... the scumbags got away with stealing. The good news.... the bank is still on the trail. HEHE
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Yep, that's one possibilty Leader and the most likely. If so, I'm not the only one this happened to. And someone may or may not realize their systems have been compromised.

Glad you got it resolved David. They had drained my account by the time I realized so they really couldn't do anymore damage. Thankfully I intentionally don't keep much in that account and their attempts at $4k and $6k charges weren't successful.

Really isn't my day today though. I just walked into the bedroom turned on the light and the whole ceiling fan crashed down from the ceilng. :eeks: Luckily I wasn't standing under it. But I should probably go change my pants now. I'm thinking the safest bet for me today is to go take a nap..yep..that's sounding like the safest thing to do.

Did they steal the screws from your ceiling fan too? Man, these guys are roothless!
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    I'm thinking the safest bet for me today is to go take a nap..yep..that's sounding like the safest thing to do.
    Go take a nap and make some money Kellie. :-)

Sucks about the CC AND the cceiling fan although it's a good thing you weren't sleeping under it when it gave out.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They definitely picked the wrong person to mess with!!!

I wish the CC companies would add an email notification to their systems so consumers would get notified for each purchase - would help catch people much faster. Of course, then there'd just be receipt verification spoofers everywhere...

Any merchant who clams up on you... since it's your bill to address, can't you request a receipt of purchase?

For others (Kellie knows her stuff), the FTC says...
    "Credit, ATM and Debit Cards: What to do if They're Lost or Stolen "
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/atmcard.htm

Internet Cowboy
    I am sorry you are having a bad day Kellie. If anyone can convince the authorities to hunt down and pound on some scumballs, it would be you.

In my days as a merchant I was amazed at the lack of care I got from law enforcement when I had a stolen credit card user caught red-handed. Nobody would do anything. My local authorities said it is in the jurisdiction of the destination. The destination said it was the jurisdiction of my locale. I quit trying and started having fun with them.

98% of the time when a stolen CC is used on a transaction, the "customer" follows up with MANY emails asking about when the item will ship and when they expect delivery and they want the tracking number so they can redirect the package.

After I cancelled the order, I would send really crazy shipping confirmations telling them that we have a special arrangement with the shipper and the items will be there tonight by 8 pm. I would follow that up the next morning with one that said the drive knocked for 20 minutes and nobody would answer the door, so they will have to drive to the local office to pick up the package. I had several email templates just for these folks. It made me giggle to play with them and I was amazed at how many hoops some would jump through in hopes of getting their stolen mdse.

Want me to send you a hard hat??

I hope you nail the lamers but they might still get away with it, There is so much fraud and it is so widespread that it seems the institutions have no interest in tracking down and punishing these lamers. Being the institution will pay you the stolen funds back, the institution itself is the monetary loser...and in most cases they have no dedication in catching the crooks...instead their personnel are just working the next claim.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    Being the institution will pay you the stolen funds back, the institution itself is the monetary loser.
    This is a large misconception, one that the banks want the public to believe. The real loser is the merchant. The bank charges the merchant back and the merchant eats the loss.

MC, VISA et al run these commercials that make it look like they eat the loss and I am here to tell you that they do not. In my experience over 5 years as an online merchant we were charged back 100% of the time.

Man this really sucks - hope the scammer(s) gets nailed to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    This is a large misconception, one that the banks want the public to believe. The real loser is the merchant. The bank charges the merchant back and the merchant eats the loss.

MC, VISA et al run these commercials that make it look like they eat the loss and I am here to tell you that they do not. In my experience over 5 years as an online merchant we were charged back 100% of the time.

true...i knew that but i was not explaining it all the way thru...in as much as all consumers foot the bill to make up for merchant losses in the long run. everyone loses except for the scammer pretty much.

i think if we castrated the tards it would come to end pretty quickly.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    (it was a debit card).
    yikes!

exactly the reason why i don't use debit cards for purchases.

i strictly use a credit card, and my favorite one for both online and offline buying has a credit limit of $500. I just pay the balance in full every month. and if i ever get hit by fraud, $500 is not that much of a concern. I have several 5-digit-limit cards with zero balances. I seldom use them, if at all, but i still call customer service from time to time to make sure that the balance stays at zero.

ABW Ambassador
    just wondering ... have you bought anything from an OfficeMax store with that card?

Worldwide Wave of Debit Card Fraud

"Where Did It Start?

According to a source working for a company now helping law enforcement officials investigate the fraud, most evidence suggests that point-of-sale systems at a California store of retailer OfficeMax were somehow involved in the compromise."

I don' t think that this in itself is an indictment of debit cards, I would still rather use a debit card rather than a credit card. The hassel factor in the event of fraud is overwhelmingly overridden by the joy of not receiving a monthly reminder that some credit card (loan) company is fronting my purchases and hoping I don't have the money to pay them in full. My debit card happens to offer the same protection as a credit card as long as I choose the "credit card" option instead of the "debit card" option at the register.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

Waytogo..no shopping at OfficeMax.

Scoot that is too funny about the tracking emails. And it's true and a shame about law enforcement not being too terribly interested. But I'm going to see if the squeaky wheel can get the grease. I'll be starting the squeaking Monday morning with the fellows down at the cybercrimes division of my A.G.'s office. And it is the merchant who foots the bill for fraud. But let's not forget the $25 to $30 chargeback fee the credit card companies hit the Merchant with also in many cases.

Want me to send you a hard hat??
    I thought that same thing after it came crashing down. Except I was leaning towards a miner's hat with the light on it since my light was part of the fan also. Amazingly, it landed in such a way that the light part didn't break! At least I didn't have any glass to clean up. I guess I'm going to be learning how to hang ceiling fan. I can't do a worse job than whoever hung that one.

FYI I deal with debit cards all the time and most of the time ther eis no way to verify an address with them. Hence the reason for asking for the 3 digit code on the back of cards now.

This one does have billing address associated with it and I verified with 2 of the merchants that my billing address was indeed used in the transactions. I think that is the thing that has concerned me the most.

Sorry to hear about your mishaps Ms.B, I sure hope you catch them and get the Law into it.

On a lighter note..... but If you need your ceiling fan re-fixing I have been told in the past that I'm good at screwing
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Ugh. I have the same experience as unclescooter. No one cares. No one.

Personally, I believe the credit card companies often know when large groups of cards are stolen, but they sit on the information screwing the merchants so as to not scare the customers. At some point the processors and/or banks are going to get sued, and when they do, i will be there to sign on for the class action suit.

Best of luck sorting it out, I am curious how long it takes to restore the money in your account.

Chet

When I had a debit card stolen and used it took 2 - 4 weeks to get the money restored...and yeah nobody was really interested in catching the wanks that snatched my purse. They bought about $300 worth of merch in 10 minutes before They deactivated my cards.

I feel for you Kelly. I was paranoid for weeks afterwords but the cops said these people don't really care about anything except using the cards and getting their merch.

I hope you can find some kind of justice.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter

As it should be. Merchants need to police their transactions better these charge back fees are what will make merchants want to improve their security. Mastercard and Visa can only look for fraud after the purchase takes place. While merchants can detect it if they wanted to before a hold is put on any money in the account.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread