Getting approved for programs - chicken and egg
    My company has started to create a variety of affiliate sites, and we are trying to expand that number. We have found that some large merchants have denied us when we applied for their programs. The reasons were the generic LinkShare or CJ reasons (inappropriate content, not enough visitors, etc)...but in all likelihood, it's probably because the sites we applied under are not directly related to the new merchants we applied to. But we don't want to take the time to create the content if we're not going to be approved.

We have been very successful with all the programs we have promoted---eBay, Real, Discover, American Express, etc. And we can't spend the time building a site with, say, a jewelry focus if we're denied from BlueNile (which we were). Or Dell---I have no idea why were denied. None of the generic reasons listed in the denial letter remotely fit our site.

Last month we generated a lot (just shy of $10K) in commissions on CJ (through 3 programs), and a good amount through LinkShare as well. Are sites are very popular, with Alexa rankings of less than 20,000. So I really don't know what more we need to do to show that we're serious or get approved. I'd rather not have to argue our case with each and every merchant...I would kind of hope that CJ/LinkShare would help us there.

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by rampguy
    My company has started to create a variety of affiliate sites, and we are trying to expand that number. We have found that some large merchants have denied us when we applied for their programs. The reasons were the generic LinkShare or CJ reasons (inappropriate content, not enough visitors, etc)...but in all likelihood, it's probably because the sites we applied under are not directly related to the new merchants we applied to. But we don't want to take the time to create the content if we're not going to be approved.

We have been very successful with all the programs we have promoted---eBay, Real, Discover, American Express, etc. And we can't spend the time building a site with, say, a jewelry focus if we're denied from BlueNile (which we were). Or Dell---I have no idea why were denied. None of the generic reasons listed in the denial letter remotely fit our site.

Last month we generated a lot (just shy of $10K) in commissions on CJ (through 3 programs), and a good amount through LinkShare as well. Are sites are very popular, with Alexa rankings of less than 20,000. So I really don't know what more we need to do to show that we're serious or get approved. I'd rather not have to argue our case with each and every merchant...I would kind of hope that CJ/LinkShare would help us there.

Thanks,

Alex
    Annoying chicken n' egg thing. I know what you mean.

Like most people here, you'll probably need to contact the AM directly. I've created an affiliate bio page that describes what I do, and specifically, how I promote merchants and their products. I now point the AM to the page, or communicate via email. This came after being rejected a few times in a row.

Otherwise, they have nothing to go on. The ones I were being rejected for had every right to dissaprove - my current sites had nothing whatsoever to do with the products, even though I'm making relatively good money.

Good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Lightbulb
    in most fields there will always be the competition to promote.

Thanks for the advice. How do we contact the merchants directly? Their contact info is listed on CJ (although they almost never write back...) but not clear on LinkShare.

Is there any chance we can get a direct contact at LinkShare/CJ to help us with this directly?

Thanks,

Alex

Alex, your best bet would be to make a phone call to the actual affiliate manager or if the AM didn't provide a phone number, browse the company's website, find their main corporate number and ask to speak with the person in charge of marketing (aka marketing director/manager). Emails get lost in the abyss of spam and other mail. A phone call gets you through to someone who will actually do something.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread