Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    host gator...i smell a rat
    i'm pissed.

i always get these bandwith "overuse" messages from these guys...then i am forced to enter the control panel and reallocate bandwidth for some sites i have that get mediocre traffic at best (ie i know the notices and their stats are bs...but im well within the specs...but today i get this support ticket labelled "abuse" that i did not create...(ie i was unable to enter the exact message as i dont have the user/password for the ticket because i did not make it).

then...i get an email that reads as follows:

Title: Account Issues

Your site :"xxx".org.uk has been determined to be causing high loads on the server and the cause of recent downtime. It is not suitable for a shared hosting environment and will need a dedicated or semi dedicated hosting solution. We sell semi dedicated servers for a month which come with 500 gigs bandwidth and 25 gigs disk space. You can only host one site off the semi dedicated because you are splitting it with another large site. Our dedicated servers are completely managed and allow for you to host unlimited sites. You can check out the plans for them at http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated.shtml

Instead of just suspending your site we have moved it to a dedicated server giving you one week to decide what you want to do. You can move it to a new host or put it on a semi dedicated / dedicated server with us. It is your decision to make but we will not be able to host it in a shared environment any longer and at the end of the one-week it will be terminated off the dedicated server. While your username and password remain the same, The IP Address that you will need to use for the next one week is 69.93."xxx.xxx" so please login at that IP rather than your original IP to modify / monitor your website.

We are extremely sorry for the bad news but have no choice due to the amount of resources your site is using and the amount of problems it is causing. If you have any questions please let us know.

Sincerely,
    Server stability Team

well the site is not on that ip and i cant access it in any way....and its not resolving on the net.....so I smell a rat and see nothing but a major solicitation...ie "ok novice (we be thinks) you need to upgrade to mega bandwidth for a site that gets no traffic"

so i call...im told to send an email to support to get a special url to download the site so i can move it.........

so special...all the BS about upgrading but a pain in the ass to move it?

meanwhile the site does not work? why? because i might be an idiot and fall for the fake necessary bandwidth upgrade scam?

these lamers sent the wrong email to the wrong guy.

100% BS!

my advice is when scattering your hosting stay away from hostgator...lol...gator...must be a measure of intelligence as well...reptiles who look for mudfish....

Hostgator sucks
    I have been through a very similar experience with them. They kept giving me this overload line.

My advice is to get out ASAP as it only gets worse. Ieven tired upgrading one of my sites to a semi dedicated Server and I still am having bandwidth issues

Go with Bluehost.com. Now there's a host that knows how to do it right. Zero problems since I joined (like 6 months ago). Very thorough interfaces and useful tools.

It does cost more than HostGator, but the "you get what you pay for" statement applies well here.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Yeah had the same problem with them they tried to sell me semi dedicated!! for like 100 bucks!!haha....

My site was screwed for over a week and never fully recovered. Definitely give them the boot...in my instance I never recieved an email just saw my site was down and asked support.

I t/t brent and he asked me what my site did and what was affiliate marketing?? Few months later they started an affiliate program.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

yeah i moved it...it was such an obvious set-up...what nerve.

i guess now they will start going down the list of sites there that are left proclaiming "heavy bandwidth"...yeah right, such pure crap. its so odd that i have over 400 hosted sites and only the ones with them have this problem? if my bandwidth was really anything near what they say it is none of us could afford to do business on the net...and i believe that like the gent said earlier if i was to have taken the bait like he did they still would claim the same old song and dance...

ie it's a new business scam...."get the needed upgrade. you need more bandwidth"

burns me up...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hosting/domain registrar companies are Gorrilla marketing outfits. Image the clueless trying to leapfrog their abundent competition using scare tactics. Even the trusted ones have AM's who haven't a clue to what they're doing.

Take Dotster.com. I look in CJ today and find 2 invalid links going to them. Curious I click on that frontpage alert. WHOOOOH... "advertiser expired" jumps out at me. I don't do any PPCSE so no chance for trademark abuse. I check 2006 YTD stats and show my physcial click traffic to them converts 1 sale per every 40 clicks with my EPC of 26.00. I check 2005 Stas and see 1 converted at a 1 sale per 31 click average and had a EPC of 125.40. So I beat their own EPC hands down. I also host 20 clients with them as well as use them for most all client domain registrations.

They can come here and eat crow or I'll just move on and let the affiliate sheisters and cookie cannons have at them.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yeah, Dotster are really good from my experiences with them. I use them a bit but I don't like to put everything at the same place so I tuck stuff around here and there....still for someone looking a for a decent cheaper host who does not use them, Dotster is the place....as of today no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    Yeah, Dotster are really good from my experiences with them. I use them a bit but I don't like to put everything at the same place so I tuck stuff around here and there....still for someone looking a for a decent cheaper host who does not use them, Dotster is the place....as of today no complaints.
    Well that's easy for you to say as they haven't put you on "merchant expired" making all my traffic free to them.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

that's true...they have'nt but at the same time I would not lose trust in an outfit due to a single "expired" link or banner...it would take a bit more than that...lol...not much but something a bit more intense (unless it cost me a major sink but Id likely catch it before it got that far). I dont push Dotster but Ive bought a few accounts and domains thru my own affiliate link and it always posted.

...that to me sounds more like a technical mistake or miscommunication (or lack thereof) as opposed to a skank op in action.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Go with Bluehost.com. Now there's a host that knows how to do it right. Zero problems since I joined (like 6 months ago). Very thorough interfaces and useful tools.

It does cost more than HostGator, but the "you get what you pay for" statement applies well here.

does bluehost use "cpanel" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    does bluehost use "cpanel" ?
    You bet!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am always a day late on things like this. I just started hosting some sites on hostgator ....

I probably will move another clump of sites to something else. Bluehost sounds like the ticket.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Dotster Affiliate Program's Avatar
    I'm glad you've had a good experience with our service, dsteitz. Thank you for the kind words.

ecomcity, I'm the same Dotster affiliate manager who's been emailing you since the day you let us know that you had a problem with your account, and I'm still willing to do just about anything to resolve the situation. I'm new here at Dotster (as I said before), and I'm doing my best to turn our affiliate program into one of the best there is. In the process of consolidating our commission payout structure there's a chance you were inadvertently expired, and I sincerely hope that you'll accept my apologies and once again become a Dotster publisher.

My direct email address is bgoldsmith at dotster.com, and I hope to hear from you soon. If ever anyone notices that we have an expired link, please contact me directly so I can update it. Because we offer so many coupons and promotions, these can slip by me from time to time. Very sorry for any inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotster Affiliate Program
    I'm glad you've had a good experience with our service, dsteitz. Thank you for the kind words.

ecomcity, I'm the same Dotster affiliate manager who's been emailing you since the day you let us know that you had a problem with your account, and I'm still willing to do just about anything to resolve the situation. I'm new here at Dotster (as I said before), and I'm doing my best to turn our affiliate program into one of the best there is. In the process of consolidating our commission payout structure there's a chance you were inadvertently expired, and I sincerely hope that you'll accept my apologies and once again become a Dotster publisher.

My direct email address is bgoldsmith at dotster.com, and I hope to hear from you soon. If ever anyone notices that we have an expired link, please contact me directly so I can update it. Because we offer so many coupons and promotions, these can slip by me from time to time. Very sorry for any inconvenience.
    I don't have any expired links to Dotster. They are all current ...as in currently sending you 100% commission free traffic. You'll have to educate me as to what "advertiser expired" means at CJ. I can't get any new links and my Doster creatives like at www.ecomcity.com/ims.htm drop my web site clients off at your site like magic. Everyone knows my CJ ID# is 910. That # makes some couponers here very happy and brings smiles to the BHO's as those physical clicks are filtered/focused/targeted shoppers.

You'll find all my clients register and renew domains with Dotster. I demand it, and make them pay for annual hosting to go with your excellent re-directing service for multiple trademark domain owners. Too bad your so late to the ecommerce hosting biz as most of my clients desire carts I'm willing to manage along with their custom designed sites.

There's nothing I can do regarding "advertiser expired". That's a ball in your court. Sorry if my high EPC ( over $125.00 in Y-2005) scared you into thinking something was shady. I'll just chalk it up to the outrageous fact no coupons were ever used on those Dotstrer sales.Then again you can bet your lucky stars every affiliate wank here is pushing the join button and preparing cookie cannons up the ying yang to Dotster.

Hey Mike,

You have mentioned "cookie cannons" a number of times in your various posts.

All i could find in Google as to a definition of this term is references made by you using this term either on this board or at Revenews.

Can you please define what is a "cookie cannon".

Only then can I figure out it's inherit "evil".

Cheers

Thumbs up
    Hey Mike,

You have mentioned "cookie cannons" a number of times in your various posts.

All i could find in Google as to a definition of this term is references made by you using this term either on this board or at Revenews.

Can you please define what is a "cookie cannon".

Only then can I figure out it's inherit "evil".

Cheers
    Googling for Mikeism's (short terms Charlie can understand and mimic) should be a favorite ABW passtime. Basically the "Cookie Cannon" is the foundation cornerstone of the affiliate marketing industry. He who can set the most tracking cookies prospers, even if it involves "Tricks for Clicks". This applies to email, SERP/PPCSE and browser spammers. It also applies to merchant AM's who use or hire cookie cannons to set house cookies. This is called "cookie washing" as it lowers the commission payouts substancially.

Some "Cookie Cannons" are resourceful when it comes to automation. Click on one of their 500 directory template sites links to a merchant or category and the set 4 competing merchants cookies via "Cookie Stuffing" techniques. Now my past references to "Cookie Landmines" refers to merchant AM's and networks who could give a rats ass who get credit for the last cookie set sale. Sending lots of targeted traffic into "Cookie Landmine" guarantees you'll make some BHO or couponer POS (Point of Sale) attack dog rich.

While you Googling & Yahooing these other terms ( Don't forget Adwhore and B-a-HO) just notice those using SERP tricks for clicks and renting the PPCSE's built in cookie cannons.

Now you want a term that is really evil ... try... Cookie Nuke Bomb. These are affiliate enities capable of setting billions of network tracking cookies garnering in millions by playing the numbers game. Think major BHO's, huge shopping portals and SE's with years of clickstream data mined insider info to pad the odds in their favor. This is also the proven fact that merchants without cookie cannon promoters always have better conversion ratios then those who have a large affiliate sales force.

Hope this clears up your question, and furthers your research.

ABW Ambassador
    I called to double check, Bluehost looks excellent, but they use "add-on" domains, not multiple domain hosting.

With multiple domain hosting (about the same as reseller hosting), each additional site has its own space & it's own control control panel.

Add-on domains are added to a folder of the main site, so they're accessible with www.domain2.com and www.maindomain.com/domain2/ - the domain name resolves, but the site is accessible at two different URLs.

There's a big difference.

Never really thought about that. Do you think there's any problems with having the site accesible by 2 URLs? I'm using multiple add-on domains, but only promoting the main URL for each one. As long as the spiders can't locate the second one, there shouldn't be a problem? If there is, I need to catch it early.

Thanks!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Never really thought about that. Do you think there's any problems with having the site accesible by 2 URLs? I'm using multiple add-on domains, but only promoting the main URL for each one. As long as the spiders can't locate the second one, there shouldn't be a problem? If there is, I need to catch it early.

Thanks!
    Every "multiple domain" hosting package I see seems to work this same way. You can access your additional domains as subdomains or as the domain itself. I wouldn't think this would be a search engine problem as long as you don't submit the subdomain to the search engines.

For my add-on domain, I can actually access in 3 different ways:
    addondomain.com
    addondomain.firstdomain.com
    firstdomain/addondomain/index.html

I am thinking the search engines would not spider the latter 2 unless I linked to them or submitted them.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Dotster Affiliate Program's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I don't have any expired links to Dotster. They are all current ...as in currently sending you 100% commission free traffic. You'll have to educate me as to what "advertiser expired" means at CJ. I can't get any new links and my Doster creatives like at www.ecomcity.com/ims.htm drop my web site clients off at your site like magic.
    Okay, now I see what's going on here. I've been searching for you among expired publishers, but it turns out you're not an expired publisher at all... I think you've simply misread your status. Yes, our old affiliate program has expired (every one of our affiliates received the same message you did), but you've all been moved in to a new, more lucrative program. Nothing about our program has changed except for the fact that you'll now receive $50 for every hosting package sold through your site in addition to the 15% of every other sale which Dotster has always offered our affiliates. I show that your account is active and in good standing.

I just visited your site and I really don't understand what you mean when you say that our banners drop clients off at our site like magic... I'm looking at your profile right now and I can see exactly how many impressions and clicks that very link received yesterday. If the link is somehow misdirecting customers, the problem is with CJ, not with me.

I get the impression that you think my job is to scam our publishers out of commissions... I can't tell you how far that is from the truth. It actually makes me look bad when I don't pay out commissions to publishers, both because it lowers our EPC and means that I'm not bringing in the kind of business that I'm supposed to be. If I could give out $10,000 a day in publisher commissions, I would! That would mean I was doing my job really well.

Again, if there's anything else I can do to help resolve this situation, or if you'd like to discuss setting up a special program that would better suit your visitors' needs, please contact me directly.

Peronally I have spent years paying no attention whatsoever to cookies and will continue to do so. I can't recall a single case where the merchant has set cookies that have helped or hurt me. I think it's overrated and acedemic at best, surely not anything that is a serious factor in terms of revenue gain or loss. I would also venture to say the difference without them would be trivial at best across the board. It seems to me that if the visitor does not do something meaningful on the first go round it does not matter anyway and I could care less about any cookie setting they have.

Peronally I have spent years paying no attention whatsoever to cookies and will continue to do so. I can't recall a single case where the merchant has set cookies that have helped or hurt me. I think it's overrated and acedemic at best, surely not anything that is a serious factor in terms of revenue gain or loss. I would also venture to say the difference without them would be trivial at best across the board. It seems to me that if the visitor does not do something meaningful on the first go round it does not matter anyway and I could care less about any cookie setting they have.
    Sooooo not true....I have had many sales were the person did't buy on the first go around and bought much later...like today a $30 commish from a merchant I haven't sent traffic to in a couple of weeks!!

I'd like to send more traffic but my site tanked to a trickle
    Anyway cookie lengths make a difference in certain markets...(if that is what your refering to)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Im not saying it makes no difference 100% or I meant to say that...just not much of a difference to get worked up about..and overall, in most cases, not all again....In other words I dont care if the cookie is set for 1 day or 20,000 years, it's not going to effect the decision if or not I'll market it. Ive dont excellent with stuff with a 1 day cookie, and terrible on the "forever" ones. In the big picture I dont think it matters...in most cases. True with them you can score a sale when you otherwise might not of, but then again some stuff is so great you don't have to factor in a "maybe later" factor...

Cookies just are not a big concern with me. I could care less.

Gotcha...I guess when it comes down to it cookie life doesn't factor in much when I'm choosing a merchant BUT it can motivate me to promote one over another.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    Mine can't be accessed that way. I have to add an account with the domain, username and password, allocate the amount of space and bandwith, and what other features like using cgi, having subdomains, how many ftp accounts, mail addies, etc.

Mine are like reseller accounts - some are reseller or just multiple domains - same thing, it's the whm control panel that's the master control panel for all the sites. Each site/domain has its own individual cpanel and the sites can only be accessed with the domain name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast