ABW Ambassador
    Ever hear of Safe Shopping Network?

I just received an email from them about how they had visited my site (which is ALL affiliate links) and they wanted to "test my site" for shopping security -- FREE TO ME, of course.

[narf]

Of course, if I pass the test AND get approved, I can be listed in their SafeShopping Directory.

For only $350 per year.

[sniff... sniff... what is that smell?]

"Using our proprietary site testing technologies here at SSN, I would be happy to test your site "www.********.com" for security and performance to see if you qualify for a listing"

Praytell, WHAT exactly are they going to test on my all affiliate links site?

[is it just me or is their something rotting in this room?]

(edited because I used the wrong brackets and all my little snarky comments got hidden)

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

Same here, I've actually received two emails. Never bothered to take up their, er, "offer" though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BTW, can we consider this as spammie spam?

Cheers,
    TianTian

ABW Ambassador
    I got a few emails from them too.

ABW Ambassador
    Most of their "safe" listings ... look like affiliate links :rolleyes:

A award contender [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dave

Hmm...

We can email them back saying.....hmm....
    Do you really "test-drive" our shopping links? I do not see you buy anything...how do you know that it's safe?

Hey,noone has written me yet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . What, my all affiliate sites aren't good enough?

Hey webmistress, you can have this "Nigerian money scam" instead. The things I received in my mailbox, eek!

Here goes:

Dr Idris Kudi

NIGERIAN NATIONAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION
    FEDERAL SECRETARIAT, FALOMO- LAGOS, NIGERIA.

Tel:234.1.7759xxx [edited - in case anyone should take this up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ]
    Fax: 234-1-7597xxx.

Dear Sir,

BUSINESS PROPOSAL: TRANSFER OF US$ 14.3 M (FOURTEEN MILLION,THREE
    HUNDRED THOUSAND USD.).
    First, I must solicit your trust and strictest confidence in this transaction; this is by nature of
    the top-secret information I am about to divulge to you. You were introduced to us by a
    mutual acquaintance from the Nigerian Chamber of Commerce, Foreign Trade Division, who
    does not know of the nature of what I am about to introduce to you. He only knows that I
    have some funds to invest abroad, hence he recommended you.

I am the Director of Engineering & Project of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
    (N.N.P.C) in Lagos, Nigeria. I am seeking your assistance to enable me transfer the sum of
    US$14,300,000.00 into your private company account for mutual benefits. This money
    came about as a result of a contract for the supply of two thousand, three hundred and
    sixty-seven computer unit, installation and the Y2K compliance turn-around maintenance
    executed on behalf of my Ministry (N.N.P.C), in the year 1999. This contract was officially
    assigned to be awarded and executed by two foreign contractors at the tune of
    US$105,500,000.00, but in the course of my negotiation, I bargained with only one foreign
    contractor, a Bulgarian firm which now executed the contract at the cost
    ofUS$90.2000.000.00. Thus leaving the remaining US$14.3M floating in the escrow
    account of the Central Bank of Nigeria (C.B.N) to the benefits of we the three members of
    the contract award panel unknown to the contractor and any other person in my Ministry.
    This contract has been satisfactorily executed and inspected as the Bulgarian firm is
    presently securing his payment from my Ministry.

It is however to this effect that I seek your maximum assistance and approval to present
    your company name alongside with the Bulgarian contractor as the second foreign
    contractor to enable me transfer the difference (US$14.3M) into your account for further
    investment depending on your advice.

On actualization of the transaction, the funds will be shared thus:
    1. 30% of the money go to you for acting as the beneficiary of the funds.
    2. 10% for reimbursement to both parties for incidental expenses that may be incurred in
    the course of the transaction for insurance phone bills, documentation etc.
    3. 60% to we three members of the Contract Award Panel.

All logistics are in place and all modalities worked out for the smooth actualization of the
    transaction within fourteen working days of commencement after receipt of the following
    information by fax: Your company's Name. Address. Phone/Fax number and activities. Also,
    if we opt for electronic transfer only other than payment by solar bank draft or cash call
    programme, then your bank account particulars.

The above information will enable me make the application and lodge claims to the
    concerned Ministries in favour of your company or name and it is pertinent to state here that
    this deal is entirely based on trust and the fear of God.

If you are able to handle, feel free to reach me by fax on: 234-1-7597xxx. Also furnish me
    with your own phone and fax numbers, as I will be sending you immediately I receive your
    positive response some classified documents.

Thanks in anticipation for your positive response.

Yours faithfully.

DR IDRIS KUDI

Cheers,
    TianTian

Hey I sold my home and sent that guy $50,000! Are you sure it's a scam? It looks legit to me!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dynamoo, maybe, maybe not.

Wire me $5,000 and I'll check it up for you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    TianTian

We get that Nigerian scam at work all the time. It's actually been around for over five years. Scam artists still try it because one out of every thousand people are actually stupid enough to send them their checcking account number and bank routing number. But instead of being wired any money, they wake up in the morining to learn that the scam artist cleaned put their entire balance via electronic funds transfer.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread