Eliminating Ad Networks
    Has anyone considered eliminating or reducing their dependance on the 'middleman' and focusing on a vertical market and making your own deals?

I spent two years generating leads for a company using adwords and made a nice commish of 5% per total contract price. (B2B deals averaged $50k per contract!)

I am setting up a web site for that vertical myself and will be able to get an industry standard 10% now that I have broken away from that company. And I will provide leads for all competitors and let them fight it out for the sale...Which dramatically increases my chance of making a sale 8)

Anyway, I have noticed there are *many* local businesses out there who would gladly pay a commish for any lead that turns into a sale.

I like the idea because I have more control over the merchants I do business with.

On the downside, which I don't mind, is that I will spend more time working by handing all the admin, but I think it is worth it for more control. And if all goes well, I will just hire someone to look after things for me.

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates do that all the time.
    However, they get the best deal when they focus on one merchant...

No, don't deal with local businesses. Stay with large networks. There's no money in dealing with local businesses. Seriously. No, really. Honest.

;-)

ABW Ambassador
    Karl:
    I was thinking in terms of dealing directly with a Real merchant. Not a local business.

I would have to agree with your post except where someone might have 13 Million local businesses. - wink
    http://www.truelocal.com/about.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    No, don't deal with local businesses. Stay with large networks. There's no money in dealing with local businesses. Seriously. No, really. Honest.

;-)

Melty: In the past, how have you gone about identifying local businesses that have a national scope.

And btw, I agree with you 100%. The people who have the most to gain from affiliate marketing (well, in a sense) are small businesses without a gigantic internet advertising budget. Pay for Performance is perfect for them.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Melty: In the past, how have you gone about identifying local businesses that have a national scope.
    Are you saying local businesses that can serve outside their local area?

For example, a software developer who works in Maryland but could contract out to California?

Actually, one company I am working with has that kind scope...Although, to get some experience and cut my teeth I am spending a lot of energy fousing on small biz that serves people within a local area. If I do well there, I will perhaps get into the local biz that can serve anyone in the US...

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    And btw, I agree with you 100%. The people who have the most to gain from affiliate marketing (well, in a sense) are small businesses without a gigantic internet advertising budget. Pay for Performance is perfect for them.
    Yup. If you think the risk is worth it, and you can deliver quality leads, what does a merchant really have to lose if you are sending them "free" leads?

And yes, you have other lead broker competition...But from what I have seen is a lot of this competition charges small biz per lead, and the feedback I got was commission only is much, much better and people are wide open for that...Even if you ask for a higher than normal commission rate...

One more thing:

Playing around with keyword tools, I have seen some keyword phrases that are looking for local services with NOBODY running PPC ads under those phrases. And I'm not talking 30 or 40 searches a month...But searches in the thousands and ten thousands...

There are a lot of gret un-filled niches out there...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread