Question Blocking bots from spidering AE.pl
    I have one of my AE.pl sites set for "details" and it's great for users. But the fact that Google follows all the links and ends up spidering 36,000+ pages doesn't help me. In fact, it just puts a big load on my server. AE.pl essentially runs continuously as the bots follow all the related product links.

I would like to block all search engine bots from spidering any AE.pl links. Is this possible through robots.txt?

By crawling your site, Google and other search engines will later bring you customers. That's the beauty of AE: you can set up a site devoted to a particular topic, but still sell items that you never even knew Amazon carried.

How is this not a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    By crawling your site, Google and other search engines will later bring you customers. That's the beauty of AE: you can set up a site devoted to a particular topic, but still sell items that you never even knew Amazon carried.

How is this not a good thing?
    As someone who used to make over $7000/qtr from Amazon and who now makes less than $100, I can tell you that this used to be true a few years ago (when I had 65 web sites using AE.pl) but it isn't anymore. The problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of sites dumping exactly the same Amazon content into Google. The odds of anyone actually finding you in the search engine results now is virtually zero. Also, all these spidered pages are ranked PR0 by Google, which can hurt your overall site ranking. So the bottom line is that Google spiders these Amazon pages constantly which does nothing but waste server resources and produces no traffic or sales.

Actually, Ask.com is worse than Google. Ask.com has wasted over 6 Gigabytes of my bandwidth this month doing nothing but spidering all the Amazon pages on one site. Over and over and over. No sales or traffic, just endless spidering.

Well, I'm going to guess that with 65 sites, you may not have had time to add a lot of unique content to each. (No offense intended - I haven't seen your sites; I'm just speaking in general here.) I've found that more and more, this is a necessity, because as you say, otherwise Google sees your site as identical to all the others.

There are two ways to do this (I mean for real, not counting what some of the bad guys do out there by copying content, etc.). One is to modify your AE templates, so that the results are not the same as everybody else's. That used to be enough, at least in my experience. Apparently of more importance now, based on what I see in my sites, is to actually have good old-fashioned content that gets updated regularly.

In other words, what Google seems to want these days is an informative site that happens also to have links that can include AE.

I've tried using this .htaccess code to prevent bots from spidering one of my stores but it's not working (Google picks up 129,000 AE pages). Do you see any mistakes?

Code:
    RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT}  (bot|Teoma|Jeeves|Google|Yahoo)
    RewriteRule ^amazon/asinsearch_([^,/]+)/?$  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/$1/ref=nosim/entertaisiteforw?dev-t=D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE [L,R=301]

RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^(amazon)$ $1/ [R]
    RewriteRule ^(amazon)/(.*)(\.[a-z]+)$ cgi-bin/amazon.pl?virtual=$2&virtual.dir=$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(amazon)/(.*)$ cgi-bin/amazon.pl?virtual=$2&virtual.dir=$1 [L]

What you want is a robots.txt file or a Google sitemap.

Robots.txt is easier: http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion-admin.html

Google sitemaps might help you with SEO: www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/

Both will allow you to block access of any spider to any page or section of your website.

--Jason

In the RewriteRule statement, replace:

^amazon/asinsearch_([^,/]+)/?$

with:

^amazon/asinsearch_([a-zA-Z0-9]+).*$

The part in red changed. This pattern is more general and allows for product name in URL's (added in v6.07.26-beta).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread