Affiliates & Sponsored Search Advertisements
    Q. Is it normal to prohibit Affiliates from advertising via Sponsored Search on keywords such as the COMPANY's name.

Ex. Ebay prohibits affiliates from sponsored search advertising on keyword "Ebay".

yes, but not all do. Usually it's because the name is copyrighted and they don't want to leave any room for abuse of their name, not just that they don't want people bidding on it.

Right. Maybe it would good to leave it as an option ... and just require appropriate approval to make sure everything's aokay.

Do a lot of affiliates use Sponsored Search often and effectively?

ABW Ambassador
    Protecting a BRAND is very important to most merchants.
    Some have a person assigned to search the web for violators.
    Affiliates get canned and competitors get a C&D from the legal department.
    T-Mobile has a contract attorney in San Francisco who spends his time sending out C&Ds

Affiliates who track their ROI can do very well with PPC.

Thanks for your responses guys. I ask because the market we're about to launch into is filled with sharks...ie. they're investing their unlimited budgets into their chosen keywords. They're not many of them, but they raise the prices of PPC generally over $2-$4. It could pay off for an affiliate to go head to head...but it would be an expensive experiment.

Not companys' name but I certainly encourage our affiliate to actively advertise - you can learn from their advertising experience.

Most merchants prohibit their affiliates from bidding on the merchant's company name or domain name as a bid phrase. After all, if the customer is already looking for MerchantName.com, the merchant wants to be the only one bidding on the term on behalf of the merchant. (There might also be bids by competitors.)

Most merchants are reasonably clear about any "list of terms" that are restricted for PPC bidding, but it's always safest to simply ask the merchant for any guidelines, to avoid later disputes (or non-payment), especially if it's a new merchant.

As an affiliate, I sometimes find myself competing against my own merchants with PPC bidding for keywords (such as "buy ProductName"), and quite often my 5 cent bids win out over the merchant's 10- or 20-cent bids because my ads are better-worded and induce higher clickthrough rates (on AdWords).
    Some clever merchants learn from this and adjust their ad copy; others just yield a slice of the PPC action to me.

Another point for WHY NOT is because most of the PPC campaigns are based on bidding. If many bid on the same keyword, it increase the price, eventualy the merchant feel they are shooting themselves in the foot.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread