Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrow My speculation on the LMI (Javascript links)
    After some *research*, here's what I am speculating:

* June 23 is a phantom date that the LMI process will "begin"
    * Current link format will be supported for at least another year
    * Folks at CJ don't know much but after speaking with a CJ tech, the "email link" format will be very similar to the current legacy format if not the same
    * Product links and datafeed links will be unaffected as the only way to provide datafeeds is to provide the actual product data and a hard link that can be used in any linking format
    * CJ has not planned this project out completely yet and they are waiting to see how it is adopted and works before detailing any other plans
    * PPCers, coupons etc. need not worry yet. There will be convenient ways of generating non-javascript links (possibly the same as the current links)

I am still researching and picking my contacts brains. I'll post more when I know more.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

If 4 and 6 turn out to be true, then I'll be a happy man, for what it's worth. Thanks, Akiva.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I only use specific product links, text links, banner links, links like that. I am only paid if there is a sale.

I don't use datafeed, but I do use the specific products that come up in CJ's product search (I use that often).

I do not participate in any pay per click link sort of scheme, so how will CJ's new turnaround on the linking affect affiliates like me?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ok some more hard info:

E-mail Links

What are E-mail links?
    E-mail links are for specific use in e-mails being sent to users by publishers. An E-mail link can be created in the “Get HTML” areas for any link in the CJ Account Manager. E-mail links are in the Legacy link format because many e-mail client programs do not yet support JavaScript.
    That's from the Advertiser FAQ and what that basically says is that the legacy link format will still remain permanently (or at least until further notice). This means lots of stuff but mainly that the Javascript link format will be piggy-backing on the legacy links. In other words the Javascript link is a new way of displaying links but the fundamental working of the legacy links will work and will be available as Email links within the Publisher Account manager. So this is more hard facts than speculation.

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

I would think that "E-mail Links" would encourage e-mail spam.

What is driving them to go into detail about e-mail links?

I do not market via e-mail. I have not yet used a newsletter or distribution list.

CJ's new system is creating lots of chaos.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

And this from the Publisher FAQ:

How do I get E-mail links?
    In the "Get HTML" pages for all links (except Keyword links), you can select the check box "For use in e-mail?" and the link code will be converted to an E-mail link.
    Means that if you don't want to use the Javascript links, just click the checkbox for use in email and you'll get a Legacy link. IMHO we can all rest easy as the legacy link format will continue to function and there will not be any forced implementation of the Javascript links. Why CJ chose to be so vauge is beyond me, but hey what matters is that things won't be much different in the long run. As long as tracking remains unaffected

Rhia7,

An "Email link" doesn't mean you have to use it for email. You can paste it wherever you want. It will look like the current links.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    An "Email link" doesn't mean you have to use it for email. You can paste it wherever you want. It will look like the current links.
    While it may be possible to do this, are you certain that CJ will allow it. In the sense of saying if the email links are used on web pages that they will be compensated for? It seems that CJ wants the js links used, from the fact that after June 23 legacy links won't be offered through the make a link interface.

If I was still doing aff my own aff stuff I'd clarify with CJ what their policy is going to be on that one before I used the email links instead or banked on being able to do so at this point. Let's not forget that the CJ spider that trolls aff sites for NQ purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiva
    Rhia7,

Then why do they call them e-mail links?

Do they mean we can obtain them through e-mail? I often had problems with codes that were sent to me through e-mail and preferred to obtain codes by logging in.

Why call them e-mail links? It must refer to an option of receiving/obtaining the links?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

Do they mean we can obtain them through e-mail? I often had problems with codes that were sent to me through e-mail and preferred to obtain codes by logging in.

Why call them e-mail links? It must refer to an option of receiving/obtaining the links?
    i may be wrong, but probably there is no tracking pixel in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    While it may be possible to do this, are you certain that CJ will allow it. In the sense of saying if the email links are used on web pages that they will be compensated for? It seems that CJ wants the js links used, from the fact that after June 23 legacy links won't be offered through the make a link interface.

If I was still doing aff my own aff stuff I'd clarify with CJ what their policy is going to be on that one before I used the email links instead or banked on being able to do so at this point. Let's not forget that the CJ spider that trolls aff sites for NQ purposes.
    Well since CJ isn't supplying us (advertisers or publishers) with information, we have to resort to guessing. Of course everyone needs to abide by the TOS, but as of now there is no change to the TOS nor has CJ mentioned any change. If they do require email links to be used only in emails, then of course that should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

Javascript won't be executed by email programs so if you email a newsletter with the new and improved javascript links, the recipient won't be able to click on them. The solution, the tired old regular links of old.

If you call them email links and an affiliate uses them on a site or in PPC.
    DING DING DING
    TOS Violation
    No soup for you!!!

It seems like the solution for all of the problems that the new links cause is to use the old links. So, why don't they just stick with the old links?

Oddly enough, while CJ was busy making our lives harder today, I had a conference call with LinkShare and they're beta testing a new product that actually makes link-building EASIER.

If a new feature is truly useful, you don't have to REQUIRE people to use it. You just make it available and people will take advantage of it. If nobody takes advantage of it, it's not useful. If you require people to use it and people complain, it's DEFINITELY not useful.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by brent

If you call them email links and an affiliate uses them on a site or in PPC.
    DING DING DING
    TOS Violation
    No soup for you!!!
    Interesting thought. Is that what's driving these changes? If so, I wonder why. Doesn't CJ get to tack on 30% to all of the commissions generated by search marketers or otherwise?

I guess that an e-mail link is similar to a current content link, to be used for a half page or a full page link.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I've used other networks that use javascript with an option for "email links". I think it must be a standard package.

I wouldn't expect CJ to phrase it in any way that would imply that they are trying to fix tracking (it's never been broke I'm told ) But that is what it looks like to me. I can't see it affecting reporting and the advantages don't seem to warrant such a huge change.

The advantages are that they can exercise more control over the links such as change prices or coupon codes, reroute invalid links and lock out individual problem affiliates like Adsense does with its PSA display.

ABW Ambassador
    "How do I get E-mail links?
    In the "Get HTML" pages for all links (except Keyword links), you can select the check box "For use in e-mail?" and the link code will be converted to an E-mail link."

I would prefer that they have this in a dropdown (similar to the "website" dropdown) instead of a checkbox, so that the option of using email will be saved when you go to making the next link.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If a new feature is truly useful, you don't have to REQUIRE people to use it.
    Agreed. Javascript links are massively useful for keeping promotions up-to-date on websites. I never update links because of a weekend sale some merchant has running - it's too much effort. But if the link changes automatically, I LOVE that option.

But if CJ is considering forcing affiliates to update all their links to javascript, they can expect a big drop off in their 30% take.
    [URL=http://ProxyGrader.com]ProxyGrader.com[/URL]
    How anonymous is your proxy?

Thumbs down
    Well it works like this for me. My company makes CJ and eBay a lot of money and paid well for it (I'm told by the eBay rep that we are a top 100 affiliate for them).... but if we have to put java links on our site that will slow down when CJ slows down....well for that matter Java is slow anyway...we'd simply drop their program....it's not our life blood....also it should be mentioned there are a LOT of surfers out there that have Java turned off....everyway I look at it ..it's not a good thing. If they leave us alone with the present banner links working (we server side the banners because our site is blazing fast due to our well maintained multiple servers and we don't want to be dependent on someone elses server) then no problem....but if they force everyone to use java and worse the ads are on their servers......they are going to have a mass exodus of high value content and retail sites that put the customer experience first and foremost....they better be careful... because it's been discussed at our meetings and it was decided that we'd drop them if that scenario unfolds. We have an eBay rep assigned to help our company and we'd have to tell eBay just exactly why we are leaving. If eBay loses high end affiliates....CJ will be in BIG trouble once eBay sees the numbers dropping.

More reading about this issue can be found here. *I hope I'm aloud to post this....but I can't see the harm.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum20/11573.htm

Is webmasterworld.com worth the subscription?

ABW Ambassador
    It's free, if you're talking about the paid forum. No. I paid awhile back but it's just a little less noise there.

I started a suggestion thread here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=567292

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If a new feature is truly useful, you don't have to REQUIRE people to use it. You just make it available and people will take advantage of it. If nobody takes advantage of it, it's not useful. If you require people to use it and people complain, it's DEFINITELY not useful.
    I totally agree with you.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I agree too.

CJ told me in an email today that "legacy links" will be phased out, but we we will have "towards the end of the year" to make the switch to Javascript.

ABW Ambassador
    CJ told me in an email today that "legacy links" will be phased out, but we we will have "towards the end of the year" to make the switch to Javascript.
    Towards the end of the year would be smack in the middle of the heat of holiday shopping season. Interesting timing for all of this, since holiday traffic starts to pick up in October and they're starting this project just a few months before.

Getting sites ready in plenty of time for holiday shopping means starting to work on pages right about now, or next month the latest. At least the timing of the announcement gives us time to decide whether to include CJ in holiday sites/sections/pages at this time, given that they're liable to need to be changed at some unspecified time.

Can anyone venture to speculate how this will affect holiday sales?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast